Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
218hockey

D width vs Fit 2, Bauer skates

What is the difference between the 2X Pro D width and the Fit 2? Is that a dumb question? Is there a crossover period there where they made both fit systems in the same model line?

D width in a Vapor is essentially the same as Fit 1.  They introduced the Fit system a year after the release of the 2X, so the earlier production runs still used the D/EE sizing.

• Like 1

I actually don’t think Vapor D and Fit 1 are the same. The Fit 1 felt closer to a pro stock C to me. The forefoot absolutely murdered my foot and the heel is definitely tighter. Never had those issues with a D vapor from the APX through the 1X 2.0. 

• Like 1

The fit profiles are 3 different lasts that are totally unique to the research of the Bauer scan data. They are not the same as a D, E, EE width. Fit 1 was supposed to replace a D Vapor, which was a true D width. However, a lot of people I know who were on Vapor D have found Fit2 to be preferable. Fit 2 was supposed to be a Supreme D or true E width, with a different overall fit profile from the Supreme. However, I know a lot of folks, myself included, who came from Supreme D or Tacks D and couldn't really find a happy medium between Fits 2 and 3. If I had to buy Bauers, I'd go for a fit 3, but it's not a perfect fit.

This is the long way to answer that you have to try them on because the really doesn't seem to be any clear cut way to categorize the 3 fits and compare them to the previous D/EE fit system. 

2 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

I actually don’t think Vapor D and Fit 1 are the same. The Fit 1 felt closer to a pro stock C to me. The forefoot absolutely murdered my foot and the heel is definitely tighter. Never had those issues with a D vapor from the APX through the 1X 2.0. 

11 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

The fit profiles are 3 different lasts that are totally unique to the research of the Bauer scan data. They are not the same as a D, E, EE width. Fit 1 was supposed to replace a D Vapor, which was a true D width. However, a lot of people I know who were on Vapor D have found Fit2 to be preferable. Fit 2 was supposed to be a Supreme D or true E width, with a different overall fit profile from the Supreme. However, I know a lot of folks, myself included, who came from Supreme D or Tacks D and couldn't really find a happy medium between Fits 2 and 3. If I had to buy Bauers, I'd go for a fit 3, but it's not a perfect fit.

This is the long way to answer that you have to try them on because the really doesn't seem to be any clear cut way to categorize the 3 fits and compare them to the previous D/EE fit system. 

I'm sure a Fit 1 is not identical to a Vapor D, but right from the mouth of the Bauer Product Manager, "Fit 1 is very, very similar to a Vapor D".

Edited by boo10

On 6/16/2021 at 6:05 PM, boo10 said:

I'm sure a Fit 1 is not identical to a Vapor D, but right from the mouth of the Bauer Product Manager, "Fit 1 is very, very similar to a Vapor D".

Meh, I have 2 teammates and my younger brother who were both in vapor D and could not get fit 1 to work for them. All three are in ft2s now, so idk. One is anecdotal, the other is from a Bauer PM which in theory should be credible, but... Yeah

7 hours ago, Miller55 said:

Meh, I have 2 teammates and my younger brother who were both in vapor D and could not get fit 1 to work for them. All three are in ft2s now, so idk. One is anecdotal, the other is from a Bauer PM which in theory should be credible, but... Yeah

I know a few people at a local store that were also happily in Bauer skates before the fit change and can't get comfortable in the new fit system as well. So it seems clear the new sizes don't work for everyone.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hills said:

I know a few people at a local store that were also happily in Bauer skates before the fit change and can't get comfortable in the new fit system as well. So it seems clear the new sizes don't work for everyone.

Just my observations.  Wasn't particularly crazy about the 3 Fit System when it first came out.  But I've found that it offers better options in getting a decent fit at the retail level.  Is it perfect, no, but from my experience it works.  For super narrow or super wide, or other fit issues custom is the best solution.

Edited by mojo122
Spelling

9 hours ago, Miller55 said:

2 hours ago, Hills said:

I know a few people at a local store that were also happily in Bauer skates before the fit change and can't get comfortable in the new fit system as well. So it seems clear the new sizes don't work for everyone

Can't say that this surprises me, but it could just as easily be due to changes in the skate construction as opposed to changes to the last.  Bauer is famous for having skates from the same line not fitting the same.  For example, plenty of people fit perfectly into a Supreme 190, but could not fit into an MX3 of the same size.

No doubt that there are differences, but Bauer says if you were a Vapor D, then Fit1 is your closest match.

I think everyone here knows, you have to try them on, no matter what the marketing says.

32 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

Just my observations.  Wasn't particularly crazy about the 3 Fit System when it first came out.  But I've found that it offers better options in getting a decent fit at the retail level.  Is it perfect, no, but from my experience it work.  For super narrow or super wide, or other fit issues custom is the best solution.

I totally agree it works better at a retail level. When they pulled out the Nexus a lot of people lost a skate they could fit in, but the Fit 3 pulls a lot of those people back. I just wanted to share experiences I know people had.

The Fit system works great for me, as for once I finally fit depth wise and forefoot wise in a Bauer skate without having to go overboard in the heel and ankle area. Fit 3 worked really well for me from the pairs I have tried on.

• Like 1

To be fair, Bauer product managers have been spewing marketing jargon for years. What do you think lands better with largely uninformed consumers?

Option 1: Fit 1 is slightly narrower than a Vapor D, Fit 2 is slightly wider - sorry for alienating our largest segment of skate buyers that default to our most popular line in a D width every release

Or

Option 2: Fit 1 is “basically” a Vapor. Done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cavs019 said:

To be fair, Bauer product managers have been spewing marketing jargon for years. What do you think lands better with largely uninformed consumers?

Option 1: Fit 1 is slightly narrower than a Vapor D, Fit 2 is slightly wider - sorry for alienating our largest segment of skate buyers that default to our most popular line in a D width every release

Or

Point well taken and to some extent I agree with you.  On the other hand, the actual width of a Vapor D has fluctuated constantly with every line since the X:60.  This is obvious to someone like me who has a foot that is in between a D and EE.  Some years a Vapor fit me okay, others it crushed my forefoot.  Anyone that says a D width Vapor has fit them perfectly every release is mistaken. 

5 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

Or

When they introduced the 3 Fit System I was thinking Fit 1 would be off a Vapor D last, while Fit 2 would be off a Supreme D last, and that Fit 3 would be off a Nexus D last.  I say that because I have EEE width feet and a Nexus D fit me whereas the Nexus EE was too wide.  But I'm not sure what lasts were actually used.  

7 hours ago, mojo122 said:

When they introduced the 3 Fit System I was thinking Fit 1 would be off a Vapor D last, while Fit 2 would be off a Supreme D last, and that Fit 3 would be off a Nexus D last.  I say that because I have EEE width feet and a Nexus D fit me whereas the Nexus EE was too wide.  But I'm not sure what lasts were actually used.  

I thought they were new ones designed to best fit their footscan matrix.

• Like 1

In the Bauer video I found it amusing when they said something like 50% are one Fit, 35% another and 15% in Fit 3 or something. So they're saying off the shelf Bauer skates fit 100% of buying public.

We've done the 3D scan and it recommended 7.5 Fit 1, which my son couldn't even get on his feet. I believe he has a slightly wide forefoot, narrow heel, and a high instep. As well as left foot 1/4-1/2 size bigger than right. He was in a Nexus, then a Supreme EE, and now Supreme 2S Pro 8D. It seems as his feet got longer they aren't as proportionality wide.

Anyway, found a possible deal on a pair of 2X Pro 8.5 Fit 2.

On 6/18/2021 at 8:28 AM, boo10 said:

Can't say that this surprises me, but it could just as easily be due to changes in the skate construction as opposed to changes to the last.  

What changes in the construction are you referring to? Keep in mind, the Vapor 2X pro exists in both the old D/EE sizing and the 3 fit system. It's anecdotal, yes, but I personally know people who were not able to go from a 2XPro D to a Fit 1. The skate is identical

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2021 at 8:27 PM, 218hockey said:

In the Bauer video I found it amusing when they said something like 50% are one Fit, 35% another and 15% in Fit 3 or something. So they're saying off the shelf Bauer skates fit 100% of buying public.

We've done the 3D scan and it recommended 7.5 Fit 1, which my son couldn't even get on his feet. I believe he has a slightly wide forefoot, narrow heel, and a high instep. As well as left foot 1/4-1/2 size bigger than right. He was in a Nexus, then a Supreme EE, and now Supreme 2S Pro 8D. It seems as his feet got longer they aren't as proportionality wide.

Anyway, found a possible deal on a pair of 2X Pro 8.5 Fit 2.

With a boot punch you can make anything fit 😉

On 6/20/2021 at 2:46 AM, Miller55 said:

What changes in the construction are you referring to? Keep in mind, the Vapor 2X pro exists in both the old D/EE sizing and the 3 fit system. It's anecdotal, yes, but I personally know people who were not able to go from a 2XPro D to a Fit 1. The skate is identical

I was referring to changes in construction between models or years, (E.g. X2.9 vs 2X Pro, or APX2 vs 2X, etc.). 

For the folks that say a D width Vapor fit great, but now a Fit 1 won't work, I'd be interested to know why that is.  Vapor D was Bauer's best selling skate, which in itself is weird because my understanding is a Supreme D should have fit the highest % of the population.  Fit 2 is definitely wider and deeper than a Vapor D, so if Fit 1 no longer covers the customer that was in a Vapor D, it would seem in releasing the new Fit system Bauer eliminated their best selling size?

15 hours ago, boo10 said:

I was referring to changes in construction between models or years, (E.g. X2.9 vs 2X Pro, or APX2 vs 2X, etc.). 

For the folks that say a D width Vapor fit great, but now a Fit 1 won't work, I'd be interested to know why that is.  Vapor D was Bauer's best selling skate, which in itself is weird because my understanding is a Supreme D should have fit the highest % of the population.  Fit 2 is definitely wider and deeper than a Vapor D, so if Fit 1 no longer covers the customer that was in a Vapor D, it would seem in releasing the new Fit system Bauer eliminated their best selling size?

There is also a wide range of "fit" in a given width/boot lay up.  Perhaps those folks who are saying they were perfectly happy in Vapor D, but can't get Fit 1 to work for them were on the outer limits (the edges of the bell curve) of the Vapor D fit range, and now have to look at the Fit 2.  Given that Bauer is saying they made the fit decisions based on scan data, I would assume they had to target the majority of folks in a given range (the middle of the bell curve).  So unless they designed the system with overlap (a certain percentage of folks could use Fit 1 and 2), there are going to be gaps (despite what they say in their marketing materials).

I haven't tried any of the new fit system boots on (Bauer or CCM), but won't be surprised if I am a gap person.  I have a pretty narrow hard to fit heel and wider forefoot, with a decent amount of depth.  I'm guessing when I need new skates, I'll likely have to go custom, since none of the fit systems show an option that combines those attributes.  I may be pleasantly surprised, but I am not hopeful. 

• Thanks 1