Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
SolarWind

CCM 100k pro skates: early impressions

The new skates are slowly tricking into the stores and I was told some were fortunate to get the demos. 
curious if anyone had a chance to try 100k pro skates on ice?

curious if the claims of agility holds up since up close there is nothing extraordinary re the skate’s build quality, plus squeezing the quarters they feel very soft… the latter is expected I guess but I’m curious if the skate bottoms out in hard turns or just feels flimsy when flexed hard?

Bottoming out is rather a balance issue than a boot issue. If you’re over the right part of the blade it’s not possible to bottom out, given your edges and the ice you’re covering are in working condition.

Edited by flip12

1 hour ago, flip12 said:

Bottoming out is rather a balance issue than a boot issue. If you’re over the right part of the blade it’s not possible to bottom out, given your edges and the ice you’re covering are in working condition.

To each his own I guess. I’m not the heaviest guy out there but still over 200 LBs and flex my skates hard, so all things being equal I found that there is a certain level of support that is required. Otherwise the ankle flex toon angle becomes too sharp and the skate literally bottoms out kicking the edge out. It has nothing to do with balance or the edges. 

9 hours ago, SolarWind said:

To each his own I guess. I’m not the heaviest guy out there but still over 200 LBs and flex my skates hard, so all things being equal I found that there is a certain level of support that is required. Otherwise the ankle flex toon angle becomes too sharp and the skate literally bottoms out kicking the edge out. It has nothing to do with balance or the edges. 

True, it could be you have invented a particular method for bottoming out. I'm not quite sure what you mean, can you elaborate on your technique?

I’m guessing he’s talking about “booting out,” as I’ve heard it sometimes called. Which, 99 times out of 100 is a technique or ankle strength issue and not a skate or blade issue

• Like 1

I feel like booting out is a problem created to validate a solution, taller steel.  You didn’t see Orr, Coffey, or now Crosby “bottoming out” and they were on much softer boots (or the predecessor to the boot in question) and lower blade/holder height.  If you are hitting the side of the boot on the ice causing you to spin out, it isn’t the boot.

If you are bottoming out it's because your ankle is folding inwards under load and this causes the boot to collapse downwards. This can be because of pronation, poor technique, ankle strength or a combination of any of the 3. It's not caused by the boot or the softness of it.

5 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

I’m guessing he’s talking about “booting out,” as I’ve heard it sometimes called. Which, 99 times out of 100 is a technique or ankle strength issue and not a skate or blade issue

Correct, that’s another way I’ve heard this referred by when the side of the skate is hitting the ice. Clearly not a very scientific use of the term.

Maybe for some it’s a technique or strength issue, not trying to generalize, just referring to my personal experience. It’s been over a decade I’ve skipped the top eyelet and leveraged quite a bit of ankle flexion. Last time I had it happen constantly was with S15 once the glue gave out and they got really flimsy. It didn’t occur with my custom NSG (+1 stiffness) or 2s pro skates but they feel considerably stiffer than 100k. 
Total custom plus in Canada for these shares with blacksteel is almost $1600 so it’s a lot of $$$ to just roll the dice on! 

Edited by SolarWind

Never heard of booting out bring from the boot stiffness. That would mean that everyone in the soft older style boots should be doing it all the time, and that's not the case. I would imagine it's the result of a technique deficiency in control that you have probably developed from using very stiff skates, and it comes out when you use a softer skate that doesn't work with that technique. That said, I have yet to see the 100k in person

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Miller55 said:

Never heard of booting out bring from the boot stiffness. That would mean that everyone in the soft older style boots should be doing it all the time, and that's not the case. 

That’s the thing: I specifically said several times “to each his own” to avoid Any generalizations! Nor I expressed any interest in receiving unsolicited advice on skating from ppl who never saw me skate.

I referred to MY experience since for ME a certain level of stiffness is required. So all I was asking was to comment on the skate itself, and so far none of the posters shared anything in this regard. Most if not all posters apparently have never even seen the skate, so perhaps this thread should be closed since it’s clearly fallen off the rails. 

1 hour ago, PBH said:

Ive been in a pair of 100k skates for a few weeks and have no issues at all. They feel like an 80k, Mako and TRUE skates made a baby.  

Thanks for the insight!

since I’ve never had any experience with any of these 3 skates you used as a reference but have a pretty good idea of their core specs how would you compare stiffness of 100k with true? or any Bauer skates?

7 hours ago, PBH said:

Ive been in a pair of 100k skates for a few weeks and have no issues at all. They feel like an 80k, Mako and TRUE skates made a baby.  

That's high praise.

Looking forward to trying out a pair.  

10 hours ago, SolarWind said:

That’s the thing: I specifically said several times “to each his own” to avoid Any generalizations! Nor I expressed any interest in receiving unsolicited advice on skating from ppl who never saw me skate.

I referred to MY experience since for ME a certain level of stiffness is required. So all I was asking was to comment on the skate itself, and so far none of the posters shared anything in this regard. Most if not all posters apparently have never even seen the skate, so perhaps this thread should be closed since it’s clearly fallen off the rails. 

On 6/27/2021 at 8:00 AM, SolarWind said:

The new skates are slowly tricking into the stores and I was told some were fortunate to get the demos. 
curious if anyone had a chance to try 100k pro skates on ice?

curious if the claims of agility holds up since up close there is nothing extraordinary re the skate’s build quality, plus squeezing the quarters they feel very soft… the latter is expected I guess but I’m curious if the skate bottoms out in hard turns or just feels flimsy when flexed hard?

The part in bold sounds like a generalization to me, but to each his own. I suspect some others may have read that that way as well, which could be why there’s been some speculation on why you’re afraid you might boot or bottom out in 100Ks.

There’s nothing wrong with knowing what you like in a boot, but asking if a boot generally behaves such and such a way under certain circumstances sounds like blaming the arrow rather than looking at the archer. Attributing performance to equipment is probably the number one fallacy of hockey equipment marketing, so it’s important to stamp that thinking out as much as possible.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SolarWind said:

Thanks for the insight!

since I’ve never had any experience with any of these 3 skates you used as a reference but have a pretty good idea of their core specs how would you compare stiffness of 100k with true? or any Bauer skates?

The skate has a softer upper and a stiffer lower, similar to TRUE and Mako skates. This gives really solid stability in the lower portion of the boot while still allowing it to have a ton of forward flex. 

It's really difficult to give it a 1:1 comparison simply because it's an amalgamation of multiple concepts all rolled into a single boot. Once you wear it you clearly understand why it took CCM such a long period of time to develop a one-piece boot that has so many specific nuances built into it. 

I think many people will either fall in love with the skate immediately or dislike it. I assume there won't be too many people who are in the middle of opinion on the 100k. That is very similar to TRUE and Mako as well. People either are fans of those skates or disliked them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flip12 said:

why you’re afraid you might boot or bottom out in 100Ks

I have a history of ankle sprains dating back to high school 30+ years ago. So I do like extra stiff boots a LOT, and skipping the top eyelet allows me to not worry about not having good forward flex. And after almost 40 years of skating I don’t really expect it to change much lol
I really like the idea behind 100k, as well as the overall design as it’s a very sharp yet conservatively looking skate.

But as PBH said I totally suspect it’s going to be a love/hate type relationship, so without any demos available I’d certainly hate to fall on the wrong side of that coin after shelling all that dough on the skates. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PBH said:

The skate has a softer upper and a stiffer lower, similar to TRUE and Mako skates. This gives really solid stability in the lower portion of the boot while still allowing it to have a ton of forward flex. 

Is it safe to say skipping eyelets is not necessary in 100k?

If you had a chance to compare how does the experience in 100k maps to skating in a stiff boot like AS or 2S pro with top eyelet undone?

55 minutes ago, SolarWind said:

Is it safe to say skipping eyelets is not necessary in 100k?

If you had a chance to compare how does the experience in 100k maps to skating in a stiff boot like AS or 2S pro with top eyelet undone?

I dislike the Super Tacks, they are too stiff for me no matter with the eyelets. 

On the 100k I lace them to the top, skipping the second from the top eyelet. 

17 hours ago, SolarWind said:

So all I was asking was to comment on the skate itself

In your original post you allude that if a skate bottoms out then it is because of it's softness and then you doubled down in another post with "nothing to do with balance or the edges". Those of us with an opinion and or some experience in this field made comments to counter this, it has everything to do with your alignment over the skate blade ie your bio mechanics. You opened the door, all we did is come along to the party. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Those of us with an opinion and or some experience in this field made comments to counter this

Well, I sure exposed myself on this one! lol 

No wonder opinions are like assholes - everyone has one 😉

21 hours ago, PBH said:

It's really difficult to give it a 1:1 comparison simply because it's an amalgamation of multiple concepts all rolled into a single boot. Once you wear it you clearly understand why it took CCM such a long period of time to develop a one-piece boot that has so many specific nuances built into it. 

I think many people will either fall in love with the skate immediately or dislike it. I assume there won't be too many people who are in the middle of opinion on the 100k. That is very similar to TRUE and Mako as well. People either are fans of those skates or disliked them. 

I saw this graphic which shows the areas of stiffness for each of CCM's current skate lines.  Is this a fairly accurate depiction of the areas of stiffness for the Ribcor 100ks from what you've experienced?  

Screen_Shot_2021-06-09_at_12.23.35_PM_480x480.png?v=1623272084

15 hours ago, CaptainCharisma said:

I saw this graphic which shows the areas of stiffness for each of CCM's current skate lines.  Is this a fairly accurate depiction of the areas of stiffness for the Ribcor 100ks from what you've experienced?  

Screen_Shot_2021-06-09_at_12.23.35_PM_480x480.png?v=1623272084

Yup

Hmm, might be time to check these out in person.

Curious, is it worth going custom plus to swap out the liner for clarnio? If I go custom plus can I get them without the holders mounted? I'm leaning towards using Edge holders.