Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
SolarWind

CCM 100k pro skates: early impressions

I would say no, and no. I haven't looked into the cost difference, but If there is a model with clarino in them stock, I would suggest total custom in that model, to keep things simple. Especially if you don't need any other wild accommodations to your feet. I had mine made with flattened arches and they turned out perfect.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stick9 said:

Hmm, might be time to check these out in person.

How have your RibCore's held up in terms of original stiffness?  I know a bunch of guys that have had their skates go soft within a year.  

2 hours ago, mojo122 said:

How have your RibCore's held up in terms of original stiffness?  I know a bunch of guys that have had their skates go soft within a year.  

I have both the retail and pro stock versions. I mainly use the pro stock version. Which has held up fairly well in that regard. Not really apples to apples though.

Also keep in mind, I'm a bit on the thin side.

Edited by stick9

Is clarino still considered a best liner out there?

apparently total custom skates have prebuilt last that comes with clarino, but I haven’t used it since one95 days and thought the cloth liners are more grippy and more comfy when wet? To replace the liner need to go with total custom plus which is quite a bit extra over the retail price...

Edited by SolarWind

On 7/2/2021 at 1:21 AM, SolarWind said:

Is clarino still considered a best liner out there?

apparently total custom skates have prebuilt last that comes with clarino, but I haven’t used it since one95 days and thought the cloth liners are more grippy and more comfy when wet? To replace the liner need to go with total custom plus which is quite a bit extra over the retail price...

I like clarino a lot. It wears well, has decent grip, and doesn't soak up a ton of sweat/water. 

8 hours ago, PBH said:

I like clarino a lot. It wears well, has decent grip, and doesn't soak up a ton of sweat/water. 

Is it better than TotalDri Pro+ liner CCM puts into top retail models?

or the pro version of the grip liner Bauer used to put into their customs?

last time I had clarino was over a decade ago and it was always getting slimy feel when wet 😕

On 7/3/2021 at 10:05 AM, SolarWind said:

Is it better than TotalDri Pro+ liner CCM puts into top retail models?

or the pro version of the grip liner Bauer used to put into their customs?

last time I had clarino was over a decade ago and it was always getting slimy feel when wet 😕

The newer versions of clarino are significantly different than the older types.

• Does it grip or dry as fast compared to the top-tier Bauer and CCM liners. No.
  • Does it provide more comfort than top-tier Bauer and CCM liners? Yes.
  • Does it wear better than top-tier Bauer and CCM liners? Yes.
  • Does it repel water better than top-tier Bauer and CCM liners? Yes. 

Clarino is the better option if you are wanting a durable skate with a liner that repels water as opposed to absorbing it away from the foot/sock. The top-tier Bauer and CCM liners are designed to wick sweat/water away from the foot, into the liner, and then evaporate it quickly.

Skates that have clarino will be slightly heavier than top-tier Bauer and CCM liners when dry (at the start of a game) but if you weigh the same skate after a game, the skate with clarino will typically way less. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PBH said:

Skates that have clarino will be slightly heavier than top-tier Bauer and CCM liners when dry (at the start of a game) but if you weigh the same skate after a game, the skate with clarino will typically way less. 

With Clarino-lined skates, would one’s socks weigh more at the end of the game?

6 hours ago, PBH said:

The newer versions of clarino are significantly different than the older types.

• Does it grip or dry as fast compared to the top-tier Bauer and CCM liners. No.
  • Does it provide more comfort than top-tier Bauer and CCM liners? Yes.
  • Does it wear better than top-tier Bauer and CCM liners? Yes.
  • Does it repel water better than top-tier Bauer and CCM liners? Yes. 

Clarino is the better option if you are wanting a durable skate with a liner that repels water as opposed to absorbing it away from the foot/sock. The top-tier Bauer and CCM liners are designed to wick sweat/water away from the foot, into the liner, and then evaporate it quickly.

Thanks for the insight, much appreciated!

I totally get it re wearing better, but we could all use a bit more description on the comfort side...

Not sure how physics works in this case: if clarino repels moisture then it’d have nowhere to go other than soaking up the socks, just as Flip pointed out?

gripliner is nice and dry at the end of the game, the water must go underneath it or something, but if clarino repels it then how is it better then wicking it away from the foot?

Edited by SolarWind

18 hours ago, SolarWind said:

Thanks for the insight, much appreciated!

I totally get it re wearing better, but we could all use a bit more description on the comfort side...

Not sure how physics works in this case: if clarino repels moisture then it’d have nowhere to go other than soaking up the socks, just as Flip pointed out?

gripliner is nice and dry at the end of the game, the water must go underneath it or something, but if clarino repels it then how is it better then wicking it away from the foot?

I have both and the clarino is wet to the touch after wearing them and still a little on the soggy side the next day. The cloth liner on the retail 70k's isn't nearly as wet after games and they are dry the next morning.

Ok, first impressions form an hour on ice in retail 100k pro (coming from extra stuff custom Bauer’s, having skated with top eyelet undone for the last decade):

Stakes feel nothing like Bauer! I had the same steel before (black steel) so the pitch/profile of the blade is the same, the holder on CCM might be a touch more positively pitched than LS2 (I didn’t have edge on my skates) so I felt a bit more on my toes. 
during baking skates have massively wrapped around my ankles to an extent I’ve never seen before. So when laced all the way up the skates felt crazy stuff! I couldn’t bring my kneecaps anywhere close to my toes and as a result ankle flexion was affected greatly. Edges felt strong but stops and transitions were totally weird, so from the initial impressions I cannot say I saw the advertised benefits of increased agility and forward flex. 
Unlacing the top eyelet made it feel more normal (for me anyways) but honestly I’m not yet sure what the hype was all about. Can’t say the advertised energy transfer from one piece boot is that much better than a very traditional 2 piece design. 

With that in mind: can anyone comment on the top of the boot wrap at the ankle?

looks like MLX/True do they too? And if even giant players like Chara skip top eyelet in True it’s really just a personal preference?

5 hours ago, SolarWind said:

Ok, first impressions form an hour on ice in retail 100k pro (coming from extra stuff custom Bauer’s, having skated with top eyelet undone for the last decade):

Stakes feel nothing like Bauer! I had the same steel before (black steel) so the pitch/profile of the blade is the same, the holder on CCM might be a touch more positively pitched than LS2 (I didn’t have edge on my skates) so I felt a bit more on my toes. 

during baking skates have massively wrapped around my ankles to an extent I’ve never seen before. So when laced all the way up the skates felt crazy stuff! I couldn’t bring my kneecaps anywhere close to my toes and as a result ankle flexion was affected greatly. Edges felt strong but stops and transitions were totally weird, so from the initial impressions I cannot say I saw the advertised benefits of increased agility and forward flex. 
Unlacing the top eyelet made it feel more normal (for me anyways) but honestly I’m not yet sure what the hype was all about. Can’t say the advertised energy transfer from one piece boot is that much better than a very traditional 2 piece design. 

With that in mind: can anyone comment on the top of the boot wrap at the ankle?

looks like MLX/True do they too? And if even giant players like Chara skip top eyelet in True it’s really just a personal preference?

I would hope the 100k skates don't feel like Bauer. CCM is attempting to evolve while Bauer just keeps pumping out the same stuff every year and making changes mostly to graphics and in some ways going backward in their engineering and design. That being said, what works for me doesn't always work for others and vice versa. 

My retail 100k skates have about the same wrap as my TRUE customs but have way more boot flexion when under load. 

Some players skip the top eyelet or the second from the top eyelet. It's all personal preference. When I had my TRUE customs made I had them decrease the boot height so that I could lace the skate entirely and just adjust the tension at the ankle cuff depending on how tight I do my laces. I sometimes make these adjustments depending on where I am skating, hard ice vs soft ice, and how I feel. There are days when I just want to cruise around on the ice and other days when I push things to an 11. 

3 hours ago, PBH said:

I would hope the 100k skates don't feel like Bauer. CCM is attempting to evolve while Bauer just keeps pumping out the same stuff every year and making changes mostly to graphics and in some ways going backward in their engineering and design. That being said, what works for me doesn't always work for others and vice versa. 

Completely agree, which is why I went and bough my first ever CCM skate 🙂
I think the last revolutionary skate Bauer had was One95. It had some initial issues (they were bricks) to they refined it over Total One & NXG, but after that the progress seemed to have stopped for them. And now with CCM holding patent over one-piece boots there is just not much wiggle room for Bauer it seems other than adding gimmicks here & there... 

3 hours ago, PBH said:

My retail 100k skates have about the same wrap as my TRUE customs but have way more boot flexion when under load. 

Some players skip the top eyelet or the second from the top eyelet. It's all personal preference. When I had my TRUE customs made I had them decrease the boot height so that I could lace the skate entirely and just adjust the tension at the ankle cuff depending on how tight I do my laces. I sometimes make these adjustments depending on where I am skating, hard ice vs soft ice, and how I feel. There are days when I just want to cruise around on the ice and other days when I push things to an 11. 

I had reinforced eyelets in my Bauers, which is a 1mm plastic insert that runs along the edge of the skate. It doesn't heat mold nor bend, and as a result with Bauers they provided zero wrap. Which is why it's so foreign to me to have the boot form C at the top vs U. So my question is - is that even Ok? Should the top eyelets wrap around the ankle?

There are youtubes of Scott Van Horne molding the skates but dealing with top eyelets separately: not lacing them, limiting the amount of shrink wrap around the ankle area, or there is even one where he uses heat gun to open up top eyelets hence the question above.

Maybe the boot have too much volume for my ankles or I needed to be flexing forward during the molding process?
Any pics would be appreciated, just to have a reference point.
Totally caught me off guard since the skate felt like a cast/ski boot, it didn't seem to have much forward flex when laced all the way up.

Edited by SolarWind

5 hours ago, SolarWind said:

I had reinforced eyelets in my Bauers, which is a 1mm plastic insert that runs along the edge of the skate. It doesn't heat mold nor bend, and as a result with Bauers they provided zero wrap. Which is why it's so foreign to me to have the boot form C at the top vs U. So my question is - is that even Ok? Should the top eyelets wrap around the ankle?

Totally caught me off guard since the skate felt like a cast/ski boot, it didn't seem to have much forward flex when laced all the way up.

Too much wrap/overwrap at the top will hinder forward flex requiring much more effort to skate.  

• Like 1

You could probably flare the top couple eyelets out a bit and drop one eyelet for forward flex. Also, I would give it a bit more time as the ribcore will break in much softer

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SolarWind said:

Maybe the boot have too much volume for my ankles or I needed to be flexing forward during the molding process?
Any pics would be appreciated, just to have a reference point.

Maybe you pulled a little too tight on the upper portion of the skate laces when baking it? I recommend not lacing to the top eyelet when baking, only go to 1 or 2 eyelets from the top and use the saran wrap technique. 

• Like 1

@SolarWind - Purely out of curiously, could you please post a photo of the wrap you're experiencing? Did you follow the heating instructions exactly? My main skates are M8s, which are ludicrously malleable, so I'm interested to see how malleable a CCM can be.

@PBH - Is there anything one should be aware of when using the plastic wrap technique with non-True skates? For instance, is it a risk to over-condense the ankle padding if one wraps too tightly, resulting in too much space when the shell opens up a touch after cooling? Anything else to be aware of? I went straight from Grafs to Makos, with a pit stop in Trues, so my understanding of what baking does to modern, mass-market skates is limited. Thanks for any insight.

I have some 100Ks coming and am hopeful I can get a normal retail skate to fit and flex to match my skating style. My experience with custom wasn't great, nor were some trials in Vapors, so I'm hopeful the approach that CCM is taking with Ribcor will be an option going forward. These M8s are near death.

Here's a couple of photos, not sure they give justice, since even when tied loosely as in the pic, the skate still wraps quite a bit. The laces aren't waxed so I can't keep them tight anyways, but when I pull on them the top eyelets come to about an inch within each other. Top quarters are quite soft when it comes to squeezing them together (ie side-to-side), but the boot itself feels very solid front-to-back. So I'm not really sure where the forward flex is supposed to be coming from...

On all my bauer skates the top of the skate always looked like U with sides never really molding. 

Here's a couple of photos 

https://ibb.co/6wnFZMn

https://ibb.co/sv6NNVL

What's the correct baking procedure for these skates? Still one at a time or doesn't matter?

Flexing forward or 90 degree knee angle?

Does the pencil test still work @ the top of the boot to determine if there is too much volume and quarters need to cut back ideally?

• Thanks 1

From those 2 pictures I'd say there's not overwrap.  It's okay to bake both at the same time.  You could stand as long as you don't flex forward, but I never have anyone do that. Ideal is sitting with knees bent at 90 degrees.  IMO the pencil test is overrated.  You can fail and still be good.

Idk those look pretty fine to me, are your ankles super skinny?

Can bake them at the same time, no problem. 90 degrees sitting is best, maybe a touch forward but unless you know what you're doing better not.

Pencil test, I have no idea, I have very flat feet and fail the pencil test on everything except Nexus and I still wear Supreme without issue, even though I fail the pencil test horribly (and I use the Bobby Clarke thick felt tongues which eat up even more volume lol). 

Personally I would say to give it some more time and skate as much as you can during the 30 day warrantee period. You're coming from 10 year old One95s, it's gonna take time. You have 30 days, try to skate at least 3x a week, even 4 or 5 of you can swing it, and then make a decision after a dozen skates

Edited by Miller55

3 hours ago, Fire Walker said:

Just wondering if the fit of the ribcor line has changed over the years? Looking for a replacement pair for my 50k’s and nobody local has any ribcor skates in stock. 

Yes, the 50k was the last narrow heel fit the Ribcor had. After this the heel pocket was opened up considerably and the boot overall had more volume.

32 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

Yes, the 50k was the last narrow heel fit the Ribcor had. After this the heel pocket was opened up considerably and the boot overall had more volume.

Ok. Thanks for the info. 

2 hours ago, Miller55 said:

Idk those look pretty fine to me, are your ankles super skinny?

Can bake them at the same time, no problem. 90 degrees sitting is best, maybe a touch forward but unless you know what you're doing better not.

Pencil test, I have no idea, I have very flat feet and fail the pencil test on everything except Nexus and I still wear Supreme without issue, even though I fail the pencil test horribly (and I use the Bobby Clarke thick felt tongues which eat up even more volume lol). 

Personally I would say to give it some more time and skate as much as you can during the 30 day warrantee period. You're coming from 10 year old One95s, it's gonna take time. You have 30 days, try to skate at least 3x a week, even 4 or 5 of you can swing it, and then make a decision after a dozen skates

He has 90 days with the CCM satisfaction guarantee.