Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
OldCY

Wargate hockey

Noticed this company on Amazon. Seems interesting to have some protection for those who want to use a visor.  Anyone have any experience with their product? The only turn off for me is the price…

Yeah, I don't get it.  If you like the vision a visor provides, but want full face protection, there are other options already available.  I don't see what issue this solves for that other products haven't already covered.  Seems more like a pride thing: "I still wear a visor, which makes me super cool and "pro", but can't have my face jacked up now that I am an adult and have a job and stuff".  And then you factor in price, and I have to think there is something better out there. 

2 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

It seems like a solution to a non existent problem. You can wear a cage, a fishbowl, a visor cage combo…. Or this 🤷🏽‍♂️

2 hours ago, krisdrum said:

Yeah, I don't get it.  If you like the vision a visor provides, but want full face protection, there are other options already available.  I don't see what issue this solves for that other products haven't already covered.  Seems more like a pride thing: "I still wear a visor, which makes me super cool and "pro", but can't have my face jacked up now that I am an adult and have a job and stuff".  And then you factor in price, and I have to think there is something better out there. 

Yeah, why innovate at all, let's just continue to use the same old products instead of trying to come up with something new. :34_rolling_eyes:

6 minutes ago, dasuchin said:

Yeah, why innovate at all, let's just continue to use the same old products instead of trying to come up with something new. :34_rolling_eyes:

Usually innovation has the intent of solving a problem previously unsolved for.  What problem does this solve?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree I’d go with one of the existing integrated solutions available: cage, bubble, or combo. It’s hard to agree this is “ultimate protection,” what with those gaps for a stick or something to wedge into or latch onto, and there’s no chin cup. It also performs poorly on the mirror test, especially from the side:

wargate%20hockey%20helmet%20visor%20face

I’d wager that’s one of the more important deciding factors when it comes to the market’s acceptance of new product.

Costs more than a fishbowl... Or a combo. Haven't used a fishbowl since Itech still existed (and Z-Leader before that lol) but unless the optics on the concept 3 it CCM fv are awful, I don't see the need for this. If the optics are really bad on the fishbowls then I could see someone opting to use this instead, but otherwise what's the point? 

2 hours ago, dasuchin said:

Explain how this is “innovative” or better than what is currently in use, if you’re going to take that indignant stance on it. Different and innovative are two different things. 

• Like 3

Everyone is bashing it so I will play devils advocate.

Looks good if you have a broken jaw or something. 

Also for people like me who went full cage, I can bring back my beloved mirrored visor out of retirement:)  So you can have that visor you love and you can protect your expensive dental work at the same time..

Also if you love being chirped.  With this set up of mirrored visor and cage, you will never be lonely on the ice again.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Beflar said:

Also for people like me who went full cage, I can bring back my beloved mirrored visor out of retirement:)  So you can have that visor you love and you can protect your expensive dental work at the same time..

Also if you love being chirped.  With this set up of mirrored visor and cage, you will never be lonely on the ice again.

No, that mirrored visor is right where it belongs. 😉

I agree with most here, it's been done and done better. However, this looks like something you could mount or unmount fairly quickly like say for a player who's dealing with a recent facial injury. No chin cup so no pressure on the jaw. The mounting scheme is way more robust then j-clips so it shouldn't move. From that perspective I can see some value. As an every day solution, awe hell no!

It appears it's designed to ride couple of inches further out than a traditional mask. I'm assuming this is to avoid use of a chin cup. It looks like it would interfere with one's shoulder when trying to look next to/ behind you. 

19 hours ago, Beflar said:

Yeah, my first thought was pros who have a lower face injury. Small market though. But maybe bigger than those who want to be chirped...

• Like 1

It reminds me of a setup a guy in my league wears... he has a bubble but the whole front shield part is gone, so basically just the bottom vented part, then he has a half shield.  It has a larger gap between the visor and the bottom than this Wargate contraption but looks a lot better.  I think I've seen guys in the NHL with jaw injuries wear a similar setup, this particular player played some ECHL iirc, so maybe he got the idea from playing there?

Here's his setup:

p3739963251-5.jpg

47 minutes ago, xstartxtodayx said:

It reminds me of a setup a guy in my league wears... he has a bubble but the whole front shield part is gone, so basically just the bottom vented part, then he has a half shield.  It has a larger gap between the visor and the bottom than this Wargate contraption but looks a lot better.  I think I've seen guys in the NHL with jaw injuries wear a similar setup, this particular player played some ECHL iirc, so maybe he got the idea from playing there?

Here's his setup:

p3739963251-5.jpg

Definitely seen guys in the show with jaw/mouth injuries wear a similar set up. 

1 hour ago, xstartxtodayx said:

Here's his setup:

p3739963251-5.jpg

Well that guy is clearly a terrible hockey player.  I mean, the striping on his pants doesn't even match his uniform. /s

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, boo10 said:

Well that guy is clearly a terrible hockey player.  I mean, the striping on his pants doesn't even match his uniform. /s

But he nails the tongue flop. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, stick9 said:

No, that mirrored visor is right where it belongs. 😉

I agree with most here, it's been done and done better. However, this looks like something you could mount or unmount fairly quickly like say for a player who's dealing with a recent facial injury. No chin cup so no pressure on the jaw. The mounting scheme is way more robust then j-clips so it shouldn't move. From that perspective I can see some value. As an every day solution, awe hell no!

I agree that injury might be a good use for this. However, if you have a lower face injury like a broken jaw and nobody is paying you to play, you should probably take a few weeks off. My 2 cents. But I could see wearing something like this if you mostly recovered enough to go back but are a bit nervous. Personally I'd go with a bubble, but this would work too

It's neat to me because if your visor gets scratched, you just have to replace the visor, not the whole setup.

It would have been cool if you could put it on/remove it without too much fiddling, that way someone could wear one for playing and then remove it for coaching/skating/practice, and also if it wasn't so hideous but I guess that part can't be helped.

37 minutes ago, puckpilot said:

https://m.imgur.com/RfkCu8a?r

Putin uses something similar  to this. Scores 8 goals a game and is a ruler of a country. Is best thing since scooped borscht I assume. Not saying otherwise else end up in gulag.

Why on earth does Putin need any face protection?  As if anyone would dare risk putting a puck or stick anywhere near his face!