Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
OldCY

Wargate hockey

On 7/15/2021 at 10:34 AM, Giltis said:

It's neat to me because if your visor gets scratched, you just have to replace the visor, not the whole setup.

It would have been cool if you could put it on/remove it without too much fiddling, that way someone could wear one for playing and then remove it for coaching/skating/practice, and also if it wasn't so hideous but I guess that part can't be helped.

The Ronin bubbles and combos with this way, where you can swap the visor if it gets scratched up. Never used it so I can't say how week it works, but that bubble sticks out very far from the face

Boulder hockey Zero Plus cages have done it much better and with a replaceable lens, except for their stupid sizing system and weight (they are heavier than what I expected so I stuck to just a cage).

Let us know how many stitches you get in your chin and neck when the first Beer League Game 7 Guy elbows that unsecured wire cage into your throat. There is no strap from the wire to the back of the helmet to keep the mask from chewing you up after one cross check to the cage. 

Other than that, have at it.

On 7/14/2021 at 2:05 PM, xstartxtodayx said:

It reminds me of a setup a guy in my league wears... he has a bubble but the whole front shield part is gone, so basically just the bottom vented part, then he has a half shield.  It has a larger gap between the visor and the bottom than this Wargate contraption but looks a lot better.  I think I've seen guys in the NHL with jaw injuries wear a similar setup, this particular player played some ECHL iirc, so maybe he got the idea from playing there?

Here's his setup:

p3739963251-5.jpg

I have been looking for this exact setup for a long time now. Where can you get something like the above?

On 2/15/2023 at 2:30 PM, xstartxtodayx said:

My guess would be to cut a bubble, looks like a DIY type deal.  There's a special way to cut plastics like that and keep it looking nice, I don't know how so I wouldn't try it lol

I thought the same thing. There are NHL'ers who wear that exact same setup. I like it better than a bubble because it looks like there's a good amount of airflow in the middle where the visor ends before the bottom half starts. Less sweating and fog on the plastic.

On 2/17/2023 at 5:36 PM, Rono007 said:

I thought the same thing. There are NHL'ers who wear that exact same setup. I like it better than a bubble because it looks like there's a good amount of airflow in the middle where the visor ends before the bottom half starts. Less sweating and fog on the plastic.

There is a company called "Hockey Ninja" that makes some interesting options. 

On 2/21/2023 at 9:55 AM, IPv6Freely said:

I actually kinda like the look of the wargate product. I like that you can adjust how close or how far it is from your face. 

I think it might be good practically, but the thing is UGLY. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

I think it might be good practically, but the thing is UGLY. 

A teammate of mine had one a seasopn or two ago, wore it for maybe 3 games then went back to a normal cage.  He didn't like the way it looked and didn't feel like he got any benefit out of it.  I also just saw another in the wild the other night and yea, it's def ugly and stands out.

3 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

A teammate of mine had one a seasopn or two ago, wore it for maybe 3 games then went back to a normal cage.  He didn't like the way it looked and didn't feel like he got any benefit out of it.  I also just saw another in the wild the other night and yea, it's def ugly and stands out.

That's why I think some company just needs to make a titanium cage with more spacing between the bars to provide better visibility. Doesn't need CSA or HECC certifications as the primary purpose would be for players that are not playing in USA Hockey sanctioned games, such as beer league or pickup. 

• Like 1

Howdy,

On 2/24/2023 at 1:26 PM, VegasHockey said:

That's why I think some company just needs to make a titanium cage with more spacing between the bars to provide better visibility. Doesn't need CSA or HECC certifications as the primary purpose would be for players that are not playing in USA Hockey sanctioned games, such as beer league or pickup. 

And then they'll sell dozens of them.  🙂

Mark

Seems like the kind of thing the guys that make aftermarket goalie cages should consider doing, with the expected volume as low as it'd be. goaliecages.com or similar. 

FYI.  I bought a Wargate for my rec hockey playing.

This year I have seen 5+ incidents of stitches and lost teeth on my one team.  Guys are getting more careless with their sticks then ever.  Initially I didnt love it, but after I cut off the bottom row with a dremel I got used to it.  It's kind of ugly but honestly it provides just enough protection for errant pucks and sticks for my teeth.  The other side of the coin is that current wait times for stitches at our local hospital start at around 4 hours!

Overpriced.  Deft.  Its a wire cage, but it's also a unique design and they are currently the only game in town offering that solution.

But honestly, since I bought one and did my mod to it, the weight doesnt bother me, and I wear it every game with extra confidence knowing that I have SOME protection.  If anyone wants pictures I can provide what it looks like after my mods.