Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
SolarWind

Stick flex: any downside to going lower?

On 7/21/2021 at 3:02 AM, MyBoxersSayJoe said:

In the '90s it was like the higher the flex, the more manly you were.  Aluminum sticks, 100 flex, etc.  Completely ignored flex in some search of ego or something.

I think stick technology has evolved so much that you can now let the sticks do the work for you.  Takes some adjustment depending on the sticks and your body type, mechanics.  Over the years I've gone from nose height on skates to chin height.  And I've dropped from 77 flex to flipping between 65 and 55 Gaudreau pro stocks.  I'm 5'7", 145 lbs.

The problem is a lot of guys who played then, still have that same mindset.

I love TRUE's sticks, because they make their 65/68 flex at senior shaft dimensions. I'd use a 65 flex all day if every brand followed suit. Alas, they don't, and I feel like the INT TRUE's noodle out much quicker than desired, so I've since gone to 70 flex CCM's. But the main issue I have is height, being only 5'6 (but 200 lbs - damn COVID). I just don't cut as much off the stick anymore. 

2 hours ago, EBondo said:

The problem is a lot of guys who played then, still have that same mindset.

I love TRUE's sticks, because they make their 65/68 flex at senior shaft dimensions. I'd use a 65 flex all day if every brand followed suit. Alas, they don't, and I feel like the INT TRUE's noodle out much quicker than desired, so I've since gone to 70 flex CCM's. But the main issue I have is height, being only 5'6 (but 200 lbs - damn COVID). I just don't cut as much off the stick anymore. 

My sticks are very short compared to most people. I cut them so they lay flat on the ice when I am wearing skates which is around my bottom chin when in shoes.  

I recently went down to a 65 flex AS3 Pro and think it's one of the best sticks I have used. I previously have been using an FT3/FT4 Pro in a 70 flex and when using the Trigger 5/6 Pro I bounce between a 70/75 flex. The low kick sticks in a low flex seem to get whippy fast compared to the variable, mid, high kick sticks. 

I think kick point makes a significant difference in flex as does the players shooting mechanics. It's similar to skate blade profiles IMO. What works for one person may not work for someone else. Trial and error. 

Full disclosure, if I didnt own a hockey shop I would have NEVER picked up a Super Tacks stick as the marketing doesn't fit my shooting profile at all. Yet, here we are. 

5 minutes ago, Beflar said:

Do you guys think that the demand for the 100 flex stick have gone down over the last five ten years?

I don't even order anything over 85 for retail. If someone wants anything higher than that I do custom orders. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Beflar said:

Do you guys think that the demand for the 100 flex stick have gone down over the last five ten years?

It's almost nonexistent at this point. There's a few outliers, for sure, but for the most part, we don't see it. We don't even bring in 102/105 flex on booking orders - only on closeout. 

At this point, I don't think the average beer league player has either the technique, or strength to get what is needed to properly use a 100 flex.

• Like 2