Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Dizzyg12

Bauer skate new fit question

I’m currently in a supreme 7D (190s) and love them but boot is breaking down and creased due to a shot.  I got scanned and it said I’m a 6 fit 3.  That seems drastically different.   I would have never fit in a nexus, would have been swimming and the 7D I have now was a tad wide in the heel until I put the speed plates in them.  So I’m having a hard time wrapping me head around the size 6 vs a size 7.  Did the new fit system also adjust the length numbers (a new 6 is an old 7)?  I wear a size 8.5 sneaker and between an 8-8.5 dress shoe.  I need to go try on a few options as I didn’t have time.  But my main concern is that now I’m supposedly in an intermediate skate and thus it would be a softer boot and lower flex which may not be good for my game.  

has anyone gone from a Sr to an intermediate in the new fit system? How did that work for you? 

The scan is guideline and not gospel. Try skates on according to the scan, decide what you like best, and if you’re truly a 6 or 6.5, get an older model Sr skate in the fit you prefer. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Your 7 is to big. The scan is correct.

I lightly touch the front of my 7’s with my toes so that’s not true.  

I should note that I was barefoot on the scan. I wear thicker Kevlar/cut proof socks so I’d worry that would add some volume as well. 

24 minutes ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

The scan is guideline and not gospel. Try skates on according to the scan, decide what you like best, and if you’re truly a 6 or 6.5, get an older model Sr skate in the fit you prefer. 

Yeah definitely need to go back with my socks and try on a couple of sizes and fits.  My big toe is boney - almost a bunion forming, so the width the scan picked up is likely from that. My feet are more “duck” like with a narrower heal. I used to wear vapors in a D fit all the time until the x900s came out and the volume was decreased in the vapors.  

ive also heard the scans can vary from shop to shop. So I’ll do another scan somewhere else as well.  What fits will fit, but not sure about how an intermediate sized skate will flex and feel.  I prefer a stiffer boot typically. 

44 minutes ago, Dizzyg12 said:

Yeah definitely need to go back with my socks and try on a couple of sizes and fits.  My big toe is boney - almost a bunion forming, so the width the scan picked up is likely from that. My feet are more “duck” like with a narrower heal. I used to wear vapors in a D fit all the time until the x900s came out and the volume was decreased in the vapors.  

ive also heard the scans can vary from shop to shop. So I’ll do another scan somewhere else as well.  What fits will fit, but not sure about how an intermediate sized skate will flex and feel.  I prefer a stiffer boot typically. 

If your toe is touching in a 7 then you have mostly likely a width issue. 

Pull the insoles and see how much room is in front of the marks from your toes. This pretty much all I do all day long. 

I actually haven't seen many orginal fits work with the Bauer scanner when it first came out but definitely seeing much better fits as of late. 

3 hours ago, Dizzyg12 said:

I lightly touch the front of my 7’s with my toes so that’s not true.  

Front of toes or side of toes touch the toe cap? Laced or unlaced? There are a lot of variables to determine a correct length and therefore size. My go to to test for length is always this (it never fails) - take the laces out, pull the tongue right out (this is important to stop the boot from binding on the foot), put your foot into the skate and push forward until the "tips" of the toes brush the toe cap (ignore the side of the toes). Now bend slightly forward and see if you can slide a pencil down the back of your heel. If you can slide the pencil down then the skates are too long (at last a 1/2 a size) for what is considered a "perfect length" fit ie your toes should settle around 1mm - 2mm off the toe cap when laced up. If the side of the toe/s are pushing against the toe cap then that's not a length issue but a width and fit issue, you either need a wider toe cap or to get the toe cap punched.

1 size difference is a lot and whilst I think the scanner gets it wrong a lot of the time wrt to the fit, the length measurement is close enough most of the time. Your shoe size should never be used as a guide to your skate size, that's a fallacy that I wish the manufacturers and skate shops would stop using.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vet88 said:

Front of toes or side of toes touch the toe cap? Laced or unlaced? There are a lot of variables to determine a correct length and therefore size. My go to to test for length is always this (it never fails) - take the laces out, pull the tongue right out (this is important to stop the boot from binding on the foot), put your foot into the skate and push forward until the "tips" of the toes brush the toe cap (ignore the side of the toes). Now bend slightly forward and see if you can slide a pencil down the back of your heel. If you can slide the pencil down then the skates are too long (at last a 1/2 a size) for what is considered a "perfect length" fit ie your toes should settle around 1mm - 2mm off the toe cap when laced up. If the side of the toe/s are pushing against the toe cap then that's not a length issue but a width and fit issue, you either need a wider toe cap or to get the toe cap punched.

1 size difference is a lot and whilst I think the scanner gets it wrong a lot of the time wrt to the fit, the length measurement is close enough most of the time. Your shoe size should never be used as a guide to your skate size, that's a fallacy that I wish the manufacturers and skate shops would stop using.

Thanks for the info and reply.  I can feather the front of the skate without lacing up.  I’ll have to try that pencil thing behind the heel test.  I know it’s pretty tight there when flexing fwd though.

I went through a big lace bite issue a handful of years ago when I was in vapors and they broke, I got the x900s sent to me as a replacement and they were the worst.  That’s how I ended up in supremes to begin with. They’ve been so much better.  But with the new fit system I want to get it right.  The biggest concern I would have is with a size 6 or even a 6.5 that’s an intermediate now which is a slighter softer boot and more flex.  I am not a heavy guy and I do make more of a power stride, and often hard turns so I want to make sure they would be adequate for that in terms of how the boot flexes and responds.  I’m not opposed to switching brands either but always been a Bauer skate guy.    

I don't know enough to comment on the difference between 90 and 85 for the flex ratings, maybe someone else can provide more info. But if you believe that a softer boot is going to make a difference to the way you skate then imho you have bigger issues to worry about ie technical issues. Be it a soft or ultra stiff boot, laces tied or untied, if your technique is good then it shouldn't matter. But you may not be able to train enough to correct this, in that case buying the stiffest boot you can afford may help.

Edited by Vet88
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Vet88 said:

I don't know enough to comment on the difference between 90 and 85 for the flex ratings, maybe someone else can provide more info. But if you believe that a softer boot is going to make a difference to the way you skate then imho you have bigger issues to worry about ie technical issues. Be it a soft or ultra stiff boot, laces tied or untied, if your technique is good then it shouldn't matter. But you may not be able to train enough to correct this, in that case buying the stiffest boot you can afford may help.

Friend just went from APX2 7.5 to 6.5 fit 3 Hyperlites...couldn't tell a difference in stiffness at all, but sure as hell felt more in control & better push offs. Especially if you "aren't that heavy" then I highly doubt the intermediate sizing is going to effect you at all in your skating. The more properly fit skate is going to help more than that. The info you have been giving about lacebite, etc screams to me you're in a skate too long and just not enough volume. Go back to the shop and try 3XPro or HL in 6.5 fit 3 or even 6.0 fit 3, I'm sure it'll be better than you think.. Especially once you bake you'll gain some room in it. 

39 minutes ago, raganblink said:

Friend just went from APX2 7.5 to 6.5 fit 3 Hyperlites...couldn't tell a difference in stiffness at all, but sure as hell felt more in control & better push offs. Especially if you "aren't that heavy" then I highly doubt the intermediate sizing is going to effect you at all in your skating. The more properly fit skate is going to help more than that. The info you have been giving about lacebite, etc screams to me you're in a skate too long and just not enough volume. Go back to the shop and try 3XPro or HL in 6.5 fit 3 or even 6.0 fit 3, I'm sure it'll be better than you think.. Especially once you bake you'll gain some room in it. 

Interesting, so it does seem like the length size has changed with the new fit system.  When Bauer sent me the x900s to replace my broken x90s they had changed the boot design and interestingly the number of eyelets had changed which put extra pressure at the top of the ankle and lead to the lace bite.  The length wasn’t an issue but I did fail the pencil test. So I got them to send me supremes (after getting properly sized up) and that’s what I’ve been in with no issues with lace bite or anything of that sort.  They fit well, but are now creased right in front of the logo on the side because of blocking a shot, so I’m prepping for the eventual blowout 😂 

I don’t think the vapor line fits my game these days.  The older I’ve gotten the slower my footwork has gotten and I’m more of the long stride power mover now 😆 plus I hate the new tongue on the HL.  I like having extra protection on the top of the foot and that ultrasonic tongue is calling my name.  

Good to hear that your buddy didn’t feel a difference in the stiffness dripping down to an “intermediate” size.  

Howdy,

Somewhat related... Recently when I got skates (Trues), the shop had me stand on a Bauer branded "Brannock Device" like thing.  It showed 8.5 for a size.  Then I scanned on their Bauer scanner.  It showed 7.

I thought it was pretty crazy that both devices, from Bauer themselves, would show such a drastically different size.

Mark

I think part of it is getting that deeper heel pocket for him. 7.5D APX2 is a lot narrower than a 6.5 FIT3 HL allowing for the foot to properly fit all the way back in the skate. Not saying that isn't what is happening to you, but, in my experience with skates the wider you go you can usually go down in size. And typically people get too long of a skate (even if it is "touching" the front) because they need that width. 

7 minutes ago, raganblink said:

I think part of it is getting that deeper heel pocket for him. 7.5D APX2 is a lot narrower than a 6.5 FIT3 HL allowing for the foot to properly fit all the way back in the skate. Not saying that isn't what is happening to you, but, in my experience with skates the wider you go you can usually go down in size. And typically people get too long of a skate (even if it is "touching" the front) because they need that width. 

That’s a great point too.  When I was in vapors it was because I have a narrower heel and they used to fit well with my “tapored duck feet” but once they changed the structure of the boot the heel was too narrow and that’s likely a contributing factor of the lace bite I got as well.  I won’t necessarily rule out the new vapors without trying them on but that tongue and the injected lacing system aren’t appealing to me.  

23 hours ago, Dizzyg12 said:

But my main concern is that now I’m supposedly in an intermediate skate and thus it would be a softer boot and lower flex which may not be good for my game.  

My advice: ignore flex ratings on skates.  Have no clue why Bauer felt it important to add these?  If you're coming out of 190's you'll want either the Ultrasonic or HyperLite if you want to keep that level of stiffness.   

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dizzyg12 said:

I’m currently in a supreme 7D (190s) and love them but boot is breaking down and creased due to a shot.  I got scanned and it said I’m a 6 fit 3.  That seems drastically different.   I would have never fit in a nexus, would have been swimming and the 7D I have now was a tad wide in the heel until I put the speed plates in them.  So I’m having a hard time wrapping me head around the size 6 vs a size 7.  Did the new fit system also adjust the length numbers (a new 6 is an old 7)?  I wear a size 8.5 sneaker and between an 8-8.5 dress shoe.  I need to go try on a few options as I didn’t have time.  But my main concern is that now I’m supposedly in an intermediate skate and thus it would be a softer boot and lower flex which may not be good for my game.  

has anyone gone from a Sr to an intermediate in the new fit system? How did that work for you? 

What's your dress shoe/street shoe size?

1 minute ago, Dizzyg12 said:

8-8.5 depending on brand 

Hmm, that's interesting. 

Let us now how it fits after you try it on. I would also be moving down to Bauer intermediate skates with their new sizing system.

5 hours ago, raganblink said:

Friend just went from APX2 7.5 to 6.5 fit 3 Hyperlites...

This doesn't make sense. The last changed by a 1/4 of a size (smaller) when Bauer introduced the 1S / 1X range. So if you were properly sized in a 7.5 apx2 (toes just off the toe cap) you would then need an 8 in any later Bauer ranges. So to go from a 7.5 apx2 to a 6.5 Hyperlite tells me that the apx2 he was in was around 1 to 1 1/2 sizes too big.

fwiw I'm currently in 6.5D apx2's, I can fit size 6 apx2's but I got these cheap as a custom build and can live with the 1/2 size up. I have been sized and tried on current models of Vapour and Supremes eg I need a 6.5 in Ultrasonics to get a perfect fit, toes about 1mm off the toe cap when laced up. 

19 minutes ago, start_today said:

re: the crease in the boot. 

Is this a thing that happens from blocking a shot? I’ve more often seen it on skates that are too big and “collapse” in. 

Considering it wasn’t there before I took the shot and my foot went numb, I’d say it’s a result of the impact, yeah.