Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
SirJW

2021 Expansion Draft Protected List

Seems like Christmas shopping with all the quality players who aren't protected. It would have been interesting to see each unprotected player's price tag.

I would pick up Alex Ovechkin if I were Seattle. I think he's much like Jaromir Jagr and can keep on playing well for 4 to 5 years. 

Howdy,

18 hours ago, caveman27 said:

Seems like Christmas shopping with all the quality players who aren't protected. It would have been interesting to see each unprotected player's price tag.

I would pick up Alex Ovechkin if I were Seattle. I think he's much like Jaromir Jagr and can keep on playing well for 4 to 5 years. 

Ovi is a UFA though, right?  Why would Seattle waste a pick on him when he could then chose to just not sign there?  If they really want him, just negotiate directly and use the pick to get a Capitals player that otherwise wouldn't be available.

(It seems extremely unlikely that this is accidental... Presumably Ovi and the Caps have already agreed on a contract in every sense except the legal one, precisely so that the caps don't have to spend a protected spot on him).

Mark

3 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Ovi is a UFA though, right?  Why would Seattle waste a pick on him when he could then chose to just not sign there?  If they really want him, just negotiate directly and use the pick to get a Capitals player that otherwise wouldn't be available.

(It seems extremely unlikely that this is accidental... Presumably Ovi and the Caps have already agreed on a contract in every sense except the legal one, precisely so that the caps don't have to spend a protected spot on him).

Mark

Interesting. I had to look up the rules for UFAs and the expansion draft.

https://soundofhockey.com/2020/11/12/breaking-down-the-seattle-kraken-nhl-expansion-draft-rules/

It's a possibility that the Kraken would want to pick up Ovechkin and Ovechkin would accept their offer. Ted Leonsis is known for letting go of key assets, like Barry Trotz, Braden Holtby, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if they lowball Ovechkin on a future contract and Ovechkin accepts an offer from another team that has the cap space.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 1:06 PM, caveman27 said:

Interesting. I had to look up the rules for UFAs and the expansion draft.

https://soundofhockey.com/2020/11/12/breaking-down-the-seattle-kraken-nhl-expansion-draft-rules/

It's a possibility that the Kraken would want to pick up Ovechkin and Ovechkin would accept their offer. Ted Leonsis is known for letting go of key assets, like Barry Trotz, Braden Holtby, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if they lowball Ovechkin on a future contract and Ovechkin accepts an offer from another team that has the cap space.

Possibly, but I would not consider those "key assets" to be very equivalent. For example, Ovechkin, the face of the franchise, is different than a declining Braden Holtby (.897 in his last season with the Caps). My opinion based solely on speculation is that term is likely to be the sticking point between Ovi and Caps, if there is one.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 3:02 PM, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Yea, the roster screams "we want to do some wheelin' and dealin'" haha. We shall see. No way they don't have more changes down the pike.

I don't know how much trading they are going to do. Of course, it's not optimal to be limited to pick one player from each team among an unprotected list and then have cap space to think about.

Here's their roster with value per player if anyone is interested. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/seattle-kraken-draft-roster-nhl-expansion-picks/1cmaxh0u08qzu1p95xaugxzuwc

• Like 1