Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
bl4

Girdle & Shoulder Pad recs

I'm checking in with the brain trust again because you all were so helpful with my last request.  As I continue to look to replace some very worn-out gear, I'm also considering picking up a new girdle and pair of shoulder pads.

Girdle: I'm using an old Tackla that I've had for 15+ years. Based on photos of the 4500, it looks pretty similar. I've been happy with it and would gladly replace with one of the Tackla options, but I can't track down one in my size. I'm looking for something that's comfortable and protective, with the usual caveat that I play beer league these days and am not looking to throw any huge hip checks or earn more PK time by laying out in front of slappers. I've tried on the Warrior Covert, the Supreme ACP Pro, and the Jetspeed. I haven't tried the True, new Tacklas, or any other models. Of the three I tried, the Warriors felt most familiar - I'm not used to the "wrap" style. But I also couldn't tell if they were less protective (and, if so, in a way that mattered for my purposes).  Any thoughts? Or, has anyone had experience shifting away from a girdle and finding a traditional pant that you liked a lot?

Shoulders: I've been using Bauer Supreme Classic shoulders for a while. I'm hoping to stay with something light and flexible. I've found some Sherwoods that look very similar (the "vintage" lace-up look) on Sideline Swap. But, I was just wondering if anyone had other picks for beer league shoulders.  (I know a lot of folks don't even wear them for beer league, but I'd rather not take the risk.)

Thanks!

I used the Warrior Projekt for years and it served me well. You can still find a few on Sideline once in a while. I picked up a True XC9 last year, but have only used it twice due to the covid restrictions in my area. I will finally be able to use it again this week. Compared to the Projekt, it's a little bulkier and more protective, but is still fairly light, mobile and well ventilated. The other girdle I was seriously considering was the Covert. I think the Covert is a good choice if you already tried it and like the way it feels. I probably would have picked it up, but came across a great deal on eBay on the True girdle. 

For shoulders, I love my Verbero Shield pads with the caps removed. They're very adjustable, modular and super mobile. https://www.verbero.com/products/shield-hockey-shoulder-pads

If the Verbero Shield was no longer an option, I would consider these: https://starkhockey.com/products/dc9-stark-naked-shoulder-pad

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 2

I have the STX surgeon 3.1 shoulders and really like them. Light, mobile, breathable, all that good stuff. Hockeyreviewsca (aka user Hills on here) had a glowing review of the new FT4 shoulders from CCM on their Instagram page the other day. 

• Thanks 1

I have Warrior Bentley's I got at Dunham's for like $25 max.  All I need out of my shoulder pads is general coverage for random puck or stick and light weight/low profile/cool.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bl4 said:

Many thanks for the suggestions, althoma1! I'd never heard of STÄRK, but these look pretty nice, and I am always happy to support smaller companies putting out good stuff.

I haven't used the Stark pads, but came across them and the company in another thread on this site a couple years ago and thought they looked interesting. It's a Quebec based company that was founded by Michel Paul who also founded MIA and used to work for Warrior and Sherwood in high level positions. 

I'm very happy with my Verbero Shield pads (which are based on the Farrell pads I used to own); so, haven't had a reason to try the Stark pads. 

Here's a thread from a couple years ago discussing a few men's league shoulder pad/padded shirt options (the closest thing to the CCM U+ CL mentioned would be the new FT4 Pro pads): 

Edited by althoma1
  • Thanks 1

The 3.1's from STX are a decent piece. Though I must admit, I returned mine. I didn't like the way the front was cut and the way the straps landed felt weird to me. 

I ended up with Vapor 2X shoulders. No complaints other than them being a bit stiff. They fit better and were more mobile than the other pads at that price point. I tried the Vapor X2.9's on and I did like the fit. However, the protection in the back looked a little lacking. Nice pads though.

Edited by stick9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, althoma1 said:

Here's a thread from a couple years ago discussing a few men's league shoulder pad/padded shirt options (the closest thing to the CCM U+ CL mentioned would be the new FT4 Pro pads): 

Thanks for all the help and for sharing the thread!

• Like 1

I think the most overlooked and underrated option is Eagle. I have an eagle girdle and pants and they're unreal, they will definitely be the way to go if you're coming from older Tacklas, they are exactly the same imo. And the eagle Aero shoulders are exactly what you're looking for, I also used Supreme classics once upon a time and these are even lighter and the protection is about the same. You can order them directly from Eagle too. Fit should be the same as what you're wearing now in terms of sizing. All the other options mentioned are great too, but if you're looking to not even notice a change, you're probably gonna be happiest with Eagle. Obviously this is all my opinion, so try it on yourself too

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, bl4 said:

I'm checking in with the brain trust again because you all were so helpful with my last request.  As I continue to look to replace some very worn-out gear, I'm also considering picking up a new girdle and pair of shoulder pads.

Girdle: I'm using an old Tackla that I've had for 15+ years. Based on photos of the 4500, it looks pretty similar. I've been happy with it and would gladly replace with one of the Tackla options, but I can't track down one in my size. I'm looking for something that's comfortable and protective, with the usual caveat that I play beer league these days and am not looking to throw any huge hip checks or earn more PK time by laying out in front of slappers. I've tried on the Warrior Covert, the Supreme ACP Pro, and the Jetspeed. I haven't tried the True, new Tacklas, or any other models. Of the three I tried, the Warriors felt most familiar - I'm not used to the "wrap" style. But I also couldn't tell if they were less protective (and, if so, in a way that mattered for my purposes).  Any thoughts? Or, has anyone had experience shifting away from a girdle and finding a traditional pant that you liked a lot?

Shoulders: I've been using Bauer Supreme Classic shoulders for a while. I'm hoping to stay with something light and flexible. I've found some Sherwoods that look very similar (the "vintage" lace-up look) on Sideline Swap. But, I was just wondering if anyone had other picks for beer league shoulders.  (I know a lot of folks don't even wear them for beer league, but I'd rather not take the risk.)

Thanks!

As for pants, I really like pro stock CCM pants from prostockhockey.com. These are leftovers models that were issues to pro teams. Some models might have better protection along with the team's colors and logo.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Miller55 said:

I think the most overlooked and underrated option is Eagle. I have an eagle girdle and pants and they're unreal, they will definitely be the way to go if you're coming from older Tacklas, they are exactly the same imo. And the eagle Aero shoulders are exactly what you're looking for, I also used Supreme classics once upon a time and these are even lighter and the protection is about the same. You can order them directly from Eagle too. Fit should be the same as what you're wearing now in terms of sizing. All the other options mentioned are great too, but if you're looking to not even notice a change, you're probably gonna be happiest with Eagle. Obviously this is all my opinion, so try it on yourself too

I've worn Eagle gloves for years, and am always pleased to come across other Eagle fans.  The shoulder pads look great - thanks for the suggestion!  Based on photos, the Eagle girdle looks spot on - exactly like the Tacklas of the past.  Sadly, I can't find them for sale anywhere, other than a stray pair on Sideline Swap.

7 hours ago, bl4 said:

I've worn Eagle gloves for years, and am always pleased to come across other Eagle fans.  The shoulder pads look great - thanks for the suggestion!  Based on photos, the Eagle girdle looks spot on - exactly like the Tacklas of the past.  Sadly, I can't find them for sale anywhere, other than a stray pair on Sideline Swap.

Contact Eagle directly. Info@eaglehockey.com and they should be able to get you what you need

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bl4 said:

Is anyone familiar with the JAMM girdles?  I found a couple online (e.g. https://www.hockeydogs.com/j5000g.html).  They look a lot like the Tackla, which is tempting...

I've seen Jamm stuff in local pro shops and I thought it all looked like Tackla as well, both shells and girdles.  No idea the quality or anything but I wouldn't be surprised if they're connected.

I've been a girdle guy since the mid 90's back when I had a plain grey basic Bauer one.  I've tried a bunch over the years and currently use a CCM Tacks that I love.  I couldn't stand the Bauer wrap styles (always felt like it was lacking protection and was awkward getting on/off), had an old Easton one that I liked but no longer exists, used a 9K pro for a while that I really liked but now switched to the Tacks since it's lighter than the 9K, more protective and more adjustable.  The Jetspeed is similar to the Tacks from what I remember, maybe just slightly less adjustable and a touch lighter, looks nice in the pics.

• Thanks 1

Shoulders for me the RBZ/cl line has always been the balance of weight and protection I desire, just wish they had a high end pad components wise with a bit less of the protective elements to save even more weight. 

as far as girdles I have two different ones from the tacks line and like them both. Bought a jet speed girdle off here and trying to decide if I want to keep it or flip it, depending on if I like the fit well enough. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Miller55 said:

Contact Eagle directly. Info@eaglehockey.com and they should be able to get you what you need

Great idea. Which girdle of theirs have you been wearing?

1 hour ago, bl4 said:

Great idea. Which girdle of theirs have you been wearing?

I have the aero custom pro pants, which were a bit expensive, but I got them for a team when I was trying to get into ice beer league. The girdle I have is the gx88 I think, retail Made in Canada, very good quality. I'm not sure what their site shows, but definitely send an email, there's a lot of stuff that they will still make that isn't on their site

• Thanks 1

I'm a step-in girdle guy and have used many.  The RBK 9K was the gold standard, and I wore one for a while.  But man is it heavy.  I recently switched to the Super Tacks and i love it.  It's just as protective in most places as the pro level 9K, and even moreso in some, and is about half the weight (or feels like it).  I wish it was a little more full step in like the 9K, but it's defintely better than a wrap style.  if you want a step in girdle, it's a great option.  You can find one on eBay or SLS.

• Like 3

On 7/20/2021 at 11:46 PM, althoma1 said:

I used the Warrior Projekt for years and it served me well. You can still find a few on Sideline once in a while. I picked up a True XC9 last year, but have only used it twice due to the covid restrictions in my area. I will finally be able to use it again this week. Compared to the Projekt, it's a little bulkier and more protective, but is still fairly light, mobile and well ventilated. The other girdle I was seriously considering was the Covert. I think the Covert is a good choice if you already tried it and like the way it feels. I probably would have picked it up, but came across a great deal on eBay on the True girdle. 

How have you found the sizing on the True XC9? I've seen some folks note that it runs long, but I was curious if you'd found that to be the case

8 hours ago, bl4 said:

How have you found the sizing on the True XC9? I've seen some folks note that it runs long, but I was curious if you'd found that to be the case

The length of the large is perfect for me, but I am 6'2". They don't seem any longer than my large Warrior Projekts.

• Like 1

Update on the girdle: I tried Eagle, but told me that they hadn't made girdles in eight years but couldn't help me out.

I'm currently thinking I might go with the True or try the JAMM. I worry about the JAMM because it's an unknown brand, but if it really is the same as the Tackla, that's something I know and like. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to try on the True. But, based on some posts on here and the photos, I get the sense that it's similar to the Warrior, but a bit more adjustable and has a bit more protection. I liked the Warrior, but I didn't love the thigh pads, which struck me as a bit too wide (i.e., they felt like they could/should have been more curved to get the girdle, rather than pant, feel). I wonder if the adjustability in the Warriors would solve this issue. 

On 7/28/2021 at 12:58 PM, bl4 said:

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to try on the True. But, based on some posts on here and the photos, I get the sense that it's similar to the Warrior, but a bit more adjustable and has a bit more protection. I liked the Warrior, but I didn't love the thigh pads, which struck me as a bit too wide (i.e., they felt like they could/should have been more curved to get the girdle, rather than pant, feel). I wonder if the adjustability in the Warriors would solve this issue. 

You're right that the True girdle is similar to the Warrior, but has a bit more protection in some areas. It does have an adjustable strap for the thigh pads, but one thing it doesn't have, that the Warrior does have, is an adjustable belt. It's only secured at the waist by a  thick, stretchy velcro strap. This hasn't been a problem for me so far and I can use the belt on some of my shells to tighten things up a bit if necessary, but I don't know if it'll be an issue if it loosens up long term. 

The Warrior QRE just has a belt. I haven't used that one, but I've seen it and tried it on and wouldn't be as worried about that slipping. The old Warrior Projekt had a strap with elastic similar to the True, plus a belt (the stock belt was too short, but once that was replaced it was great) - it also has the straps on the thigh pads. 

I do like the True so far after wearing it again last Friday, but the lack of a belt and having it slide down after it stretches out a bit is a bit of a concern. It hasn't been an issue thus far though and I suppose one could use the shell attachment points (meant for the stock True shell and other shells that can attach with velcro loops) to thread a belt through if needed. 

The True feels slightly more protective and more ventilated than the Projekt, but is also slightly bulkier and weighs a touch more. My old Projekt was a little stretched out after several years of use when I switched to the True and I'd have to tighten the belt once in a while, but it took years for that to happen. When new, the Projekt is very snug and form fitting - it's also less bulky than both the Covert QRE and True girdles, but still has enough protection for beer league. If you can find one new or very gently used in your size, the Projekt is worth a look. I saw one on Sideline that the seller says they only used a couple times. It's a medium, which would be too small for me, but if that's your size, it's something to consider: https://sidelineswap.com/gear/hockey/pants-girdles-shells/girdles/2341292-warrior-senior-medium-projekt-girdle

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1

After a lot of agonizing, I wound up ordering the JAMM girdle.  It just arrived today, so I haven't skated in it yet.  But on first examination and after trying it on, it seems almost exactly like my old Tackla.  The only difference (other than branding) is the butt pad (not the technical term, I realize), which feels more like the pads on more modern girdles than like the old-school Tacklas - i.e., multiple pads, rather than a single one.  I obviously can't speak to the quality yet or on-ice performance, but I will say that I'm very pleased with the fit and prefer the feel and profile to the True, Bauer, and CCMs that I've tried on.  Here's hoping that it holds up.  And, regardless, I'll share my impressions once I skate in it.

• Like 4

A simple cheap option that also offer great lightweight protection where it’s needed, is the CCM Tacks 9550 shoulder pads. 
great sternum protection, really low profile shoulder caps and a plastic spine protection.. 

It’s offered as an entry level pad, but in my opinion, it’s more than that. Specially if you have a little more body behind it.

Edited by swede
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, swede said:

A simple cheap option that also offer great lightweight protection where it’s needed, is the CCM Tacks 9550 shoulder pads. 
great sternum protection, really low profile shoulder caps and a plastic spine protection.. 

It’s offered as an entry level pad, but in my opinion, it’s more than that. Specially if you have a little more body behind it.

These sound great. Do you know how the shoulder caps are connected to the rest of the pad. On my "classic-style" Bauers, the caps are connected to the main torso pads, but not to the bicep pads - i.e., the shoulders "float." I recently tried the STX Surgeons where the shoulder caps were connected to both torso and bicep, which I found much more restrictive of movement. Just curious what the setup is w/the Tacks.