Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
nutters

2021-2022 Gear Sightings

Thank God, because the 2S Pros were crazy stiff. Not sure about ultras, but between the injected facing and Curv Composite, dang, at 225lbs with close to 30 years experience and being a strong skater I still had a tough time flexing them forward and often skipped the top 2 eyelets. Got used to it and didn't feel it until I went to True. 

3 hours ago, flip12 said:

I haven't seen the same feature I'm thinking of in Microns. I know they had the notch cut out between the third and fourth eyelets. I'm pretty sure every brand has tried that, though most stopped before Micron featured it. The Graf flex zone I'm referring to isn't actually a notch, but an extra space between the top and second eyelets on many Graf models. Graf's usually-lower boot height makes this roughly a spacing between the second and third eyelets on more traditionally cut boots. It's sort of a forced eyelet skip, though not as big of a jump as a full eyelet skip, promoting forward flex. CCM started having more space there in the second gen. JetSpeed, if I recall correctly. Now Bauer's doing it and emphasizing it the same way Mission did 15+ years ago.

Ah, I see what you're talking about.  I think I misunderstood because you initially referred to it as a "flex notch.  Although, having looked at pics of the Microns, their notch had the same effect of spacing the lacing.

Micron 10-90 https://imgur.com/a/e9pNNCa

Edited by boo10
  • Like 2

On 10/6/2021 at 2:21 AM, the_game said:

Anyone else excited to see Bauer Turbo’s make a comeback?

@PBH predicted it. What I find interesting is Bauer looks to be getting to a one-piece skate faster than it looked like they were going to.

GettyImages-1346478233.jpg

This was mentioned before, but just to confirm: is Mason McTavish really wearing a prototype True 9X Catalyst skate?
Any insight on what's new about it and when to expect it released to general public?
I was thinking of ordering custom Trues but if something new is just around the corner I could possibly wait...

True releases their skates in yearly intervals. Last year was the player boot, this year is the goalie boot. Next year will be the boot shown there. I don't know the actual date but I would look at when the first versions of the newest player boots started to show up online and take a guess off of that.

7 hours ago, Hills said:

True releases their skates in yearly intervals. Last year was the player boot, this year is the goalie boot. Next year will be the boot shown there. I don't know the actual date but I would look at when the first versions of the newest player boots started to show up online and take a guess off of that.

Thanks for the insight!
I see Barber's video of his new True skates as of Feb 2020, so based on that sounds like we'll see the new True skates early next year? 
Wonder if custom orders for the new skates will open up in Nov/Dec then given they usually start these a month before the release (since it takes 6 weeks to build and ship)?

9 hours ago, SolarWind said:

Thanks for the insight!
I see Barber's video of his new True skates as of Feb 2020, so based on that sounds like we'll see the new True skates early next year? 
Wonder if custom orders for the new skates will open up in Nov/Dec then given they usually start these a month before the release (since it takes 6 weeks to build and ship)?

I would say that Barber isn't one of the normal retail orders, so he would get stuff earlier than other people would. I would guess to push it a few months from when his appeared.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flip12 said:

@SolarWind, it’s on better display on Thomas Chabot, as he doesn’t wear external blockers.

excellent point, thanks!
doesn't look like a lot of changes in the overall construction, if any? even the design is still nearly identical with just some splashes of yellow?

thomas-chabot-of-the-ottawa-senators-ska

IceHockey360's Instagram post said these are supposed to shave 100g of TF player skates: 

If you zoom in on them you can see the similarities to the TF Goal construction: Truenado has been shifted down a bit, quarter paneling has an all new makeup and the toe cap is also new, sleeker than previous True/VH iterations...

iyGYGwR.pngc89NhhB.pngSK-GOAL-SR-TF9.jpg

Edited by flip12

excellent info! THANK YOU!
and as I was able to read the description all the changes are Very promising and seems worth waiting coz the current skates are not polished at all.
here's the translation for reference albeit related to CAT9 - retail replacement of TF9:

"Many people talked about a certain clumsy manufacturing of True skates (due to the fact that they are made on the basis of a custom model), but the new CAT9 (it was the one I was able to get my hands on) took a very big step forward in this regard. More thoughtful and "polished" in terms of details.

Other key changes include: a weight reduction to 100 grams, a more flexible ankle guard (apparently I wasn't the only one who found the original one too stiff), an updated foam tongue, a modified sole (should improve the situation with the holder rivets) and an increased amount of foam in the ankle area. They will also increase the height of the blade - MAX marking. Those are all great improvements!"

37 minutes ago, SolarWind said:

excellent info! THANK YOU!
and as I was able to read the description all the changes are Very promising and seems worth waiting coz the current skates are not polished at all.
here's the translation for reference albeit related to CAT9 - retail replacement of TF9:

"Many people talked about a certain clumsy manufacturing of True skates (due to the fact that they are made on the basis of a custom model), but the new CAT9 (it was the one I was able to get my hands on) took a very big step forward in this regard. More thoughtful and "polished" in terms of details.

Other key changes include: a weight reduction to 100 grams, a more flexible ankle guard (apparently I wasn't the only one who found the original one too stiff), an updated foam tongue, a modified sole (should improve the situation with the holder rivets) and an increased amount of foam in the ankle area. They will also increase the height of the blade - MAX marking. Those are all great improvements!"

The problem is if the CAT9 that these people saw are just the retail model like the TF9 than those changes haven't necessarily made it to the custom skates I have seen yet.

8 hours ago, Hills said:

I would say that Barber isn't one of the normal retail orders, so he would get stuff earlier than other people would. I would guess to push it a few months from when his appeared.

I started to see TF9 retail player boots in stores in July of 2020; so I'd expect the CAT9 will be released around July 2022. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hills said:

The problem is if the CAT9 that these people saw are just the retail model like the TF9 than those changes haven't necessarily made it to the custom skates I have seen yet.

It’s not necessarily a problem unless the corner @SolarWind has in mind is farther in the future than he has envisioned waiting for.

Hopefully the new True skate incorporates something like Bauer's Comfort Edge. That is, literally, the only thing I do not like about my True skates.

Edited by JoeyJ0506
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JoeyJ0506 said:

Hopefully the new True skate incorporates something like Bauer's Comfort Edge. That is, literally, the only thing I do not like about my True skates.

From the looks of it that area isn’t changing.

Edited by flip12

8 hours ago, JoeyJ0506 said:

This is where True really needs to improve. They have said time and time again that their skates don't need it because the top is soft as is... but the edges themselves basically being seams makes them really uncomfortable. Rounding that off with a padded and softer material is such an easy change that would be a very welcome addition.

11 minutes ago, Hills said:

This is where True really needs to improve. They have said time and time again that their skates don't need it because the top is soft as is... but the edges themselves basically being seams makes them really uncomfortable. Rounding that off with a padded and softer material is such an easy change that would be a very welcome addition.

I agree. Mine I noticed dug in bad when I got them but it’s less noticeable now. But definitely. It’s an easy thing to include and it would help as it can definitely dig in. Especially when not broken in. 

Anybody catch Brendan Perlini's Bauer skates with white accents? I've seen white accents like these on Grafs, CCMs and Reeboks (Komarov, Hagelin, Perron), but I've never seen them on Bauers.

darnell-nurse-brendan-perlini-and-devin-

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hills said:

This could be a big differentiator on the TF9 from the TF7. They are similar enough lay people have to dig a bit to find the differences.   

• Like 3