Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
nutters

2021-2022 Gear Sightings

On 11/30/2021 at 7:28 AM, PBH said:

I am sure someone will leak that info soon enough. Bookings for 2022 are being finalized this 12/1. 

I finally found the upcoming catalog. MSRP wasn't printed in the version I saw, but I'm confused about why there would be significant price increases. Maybe I'm just skeptical of the marketing--they are introducing new "tech" which I'm sure they'll point to regarding price. It just looks like a lot more of the same, though, only amped up a tiny bit here and there, mostly in ways that repel me, but they're not out to get skeptics like myself.

I think the actual custom Super Tacks X helmet option is one thing that will definitely be quite high. The price of the stock Super Tacks X is already quite high. The custom head scan and liner printing is appealing, but I'm sure the price won't be for the weak of heart. 

25 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

I think the actual custom Super Tacks X helmet option is one thing that will definitely be quite high. The price of the stock Super Tacks X is already quite high. The custom head scan and liner printing is appealing, but I'm sure the price won't be for the weak of heart. 

I bet it ends up being very popular. Especially with younger players who's parents never played.

Edited by stick9

9 minutes ago, stick9 said:

I bet it ends up being very popular. Especially with younger players who's parents never played.

There's obviously a segment of the market that will pay whatever it takes to get their kids (or themselves) what they perceive as the best equipment. Companies wouldn't be able to have high priced special edition ADV sticks or custom skates that sell for over a grand if no one bought them. If people are willing to drop over $300 on a stick, then what's $500 or $600 on a helmet? Those with the means will buy whatever product they think is best regardless of the price. People with more modest means will get by on lower level, clearance or used gear.

3 hours ago, althoma1 said:

There's obviously a segment of the market that will pay whatever it takes to get their kids (or themselves) what they perceive as the best equipment. Companies wouldn't be able to have high priced special edition ADV sticks or custom skates that sell for over a grand if no one bought them. If people are willing to drop over $300 on a stick, then what's $500 or $600 on a helmet? Those with the means will buy whatever product they think is best regardless of the price. People with more modest means will get by on lower level, clearance or used gear.

And honestly, that’s fine. People like to rag on parents buying their kids expensive stuff but not sure where this equipment police mentality comes from.  I mean, this is a board full of people obsessing over the minutiae of equipment, and plenty of people playing with equipment they don’t need or can’t come close to wringing the potential from.  Whatever makes people happy, it’s just a game. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, althoma1 said:

Custom equipment are made to order so it's actually better for companies to make stuff as the orders come in. They don't have to worry about overstock. And they get paid the full amount up front 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 10:25 PM, Sniper9 said:

Custom equipment are made to order so it's actually better for companies to make stuff as the orders come in. They don't have to worry about overstock. And they get paid the full amount up front 

Agreed. It's great for companies and for consumers who are willing to pay whatever is necessary to get what they want. Most consumers love clearance and overstock deals on high end equipment, but that's obviously not ideal for the manufacturers. 

Edited by althoma1

8 hours ago, flip12 said:

Super Tacks X has the worst score on the VT lab’s impact testing.

Some people put stock in that and others just want to buy what fits, feels and looks best for them. I've never tried the Super Tacks X, but I've definitely heard from others that it's very comfortable and well ventilated. It looks like it'd also pass the mirror test for most people. You're right that the segment of the market that puts stock in the VT tests will likely avoid it, but there's a large segment of the market that doesn't use the VT results to help them select their helmet. So the VT results may deter some and the price may deter others, but some people won't care about either factor. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

Some people put stock in that and others just want to buy what fits, feels and looks best for them. I've never tried the Super Tacks X, but I've definitely heard from others that it's very comfortable and well ventilated. It looks like it'd also pass the mirror test for most people. You're right that the segment of the market that puts stock in the VT tests will likely avoid it, but there's a large segment of the market that doesn't use the VT results to help them select their helmet. So the VT results may deter some and the price may deter others, but some people won't care about either factor. 

Totally agree. I just think a sizable chunk of the potential custom-buying-parents market would put stock in their ratings.

9 hours ago, flip12 said:

Super Tacks X has the worst score on the VT lab’s impact testing.

I have found a lot of conflicting information on how VT scores are calculated. I appreciate the work VT does, but I dont think their score is a factual representation of protection. Aslo ,we all know the helmet that best protects you is the one that fits you best and the liner of the Tacks X is far more accommodating as compared to other helmets with more traditional foams and design. 

51 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

Agreed. Most will choose what feels, and fits best. If it also passses the mirror test that is an added bonus. I only have a few parents/customers that will reference the VT scores. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PBH said:

I have found a lot of conflicting information on how VT scores are calculated. I appreciate the work VT does, but I dont think their score is a factual representation of protection. Aslo ,we all know the helmet that best protects you is the one that fits you best and the liner of the Tacks X is far more accommodating as compared to other helmets with more traditional foams and design. 

Would you share what information you’ve found? What do you think their ratings do represent?

Their protocol is online.  I have seen arguments against their protocols (on here in the past) that were directly refuted by their published methodology, so I would advise you investigate yourself and make up your own mind.  It's also something most people don't know exist, so it's probably more of an academic discussion anyway.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2021 at 8:21 PM, the_game said:

Anyone else excited to see Bauer Turbo’s make a comeback?

Oh, sure… goalies get hinged cuffs. Sigh. I’d love to be able to adjust cuff tightness/lateral flex without messing up forward flex… maybe someday.

Howdy,

On 1/26/2022 at 11:37 AM, PBH said:

I think that's a pretty key assumption.  And if its invalid, it may well be exactly why the helmet does poorly on impact tests.  As to the assumption itself, it obviously doesn't hold up when pushed.  A knit winter hat fits really, really awesomely, but I think we can all agree that it doesn't provide much protection.

Until a company like CCM starts publishing internally generated impact data, the only game in town trying to quantify relative protection level is VT.  Its pretty disheartening to see then being ignored by manufacturers.  That's particularly true when how a helmet performs on independent impact studies could be a major advertising tool for them.  There's not many parents that aren't willing to shell out another hundred if they believe you when you say their kid's head will be protected better.

Mark

• Like 2

I would hesitate before saying they are an actual one piece boot. He was in his Jetspeed painted as FT4 Pros before.

The toe cap and the cut at the top of the skate look more like his Jetspeed skates than the AS-V Pro skates. But there wasn't a good enough shot of the bottom of the boot to see yet.

https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/news-photo/edmonton-oilers-center-connor-mcdavid-skates-with-the-puck-news-photo/1238107695

Toe looks close to the toe below.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0020/1585/4658/files/CCM-Jetspeed-Skates-349.jpg?5920575855097844826

Here are the posts talking about the FT4 Pro paint and the last time he wore a one piece boot in a game.

6 hours ago, Hills said:

I would hesitate before saying they are an actual one piece boot. He was in his Jetspeed painted as FT4 Pros before.

The toe cap and the cut at the top of the skate look more like his Jetspeed skates than the AS-V Pro skates. But there wasn't a good enough shot of the bottom of the boot to see yet.

https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/news-photo/edmonton-oilers-center-connor-mcdavid-skates-with-the-puck-news-photo/1238107695

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0020/1585/4658/files/CCM-Jetspeed-Skates-349.jpg?5920575855097844826

Here are the posts talking about the FT4 Pro paint and the last time he wore a one piece boot in a game.

They're likely just skinned like the ft4 pros he "wore" for the all star game in San Jose. 

4 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

They're likely just skinned like the ft4 pros he "wore" for the all star game in San Jose. 

These are for sure a one-piece boot. The specifications of the boot though are anyones guess. Could be a FT4 or 100K skinned as a Tack. No clue unless you can get your hands on them. Back in the day I could ask JS @CCM and he might share some info but since he left CCM I don't even know who I would talk to. 

edmonton-oilers-center-connor-mcdavid-sk

• Like 1

It was clearer from the highlights than the photos from the Sens game, I was just too short on time to take a screen shot and post it.

IMO he looked a bit thrown by the boots—not quite as in command and attacking with his skating as he normally is. That made me wonder if these are too stiff for him.

15 hours ago, Hills said:

It’s hard to say from a few photos. The toe cap looks rounder and beefier than the JetSpeed cap. The top of the boot and liner appear to differ from stock ASV spec.

Has he previously worn a one-piece boot in a game before? I’ve seen footage of him at a charity scrimmage in some one-piece Tacks, but not any of him in NHL action.