Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
nutters

2021-2022 Gear Sightings

6 hours ago, flip12 said:

It’s hard to say from a few photos. The toe cap looks rounder and beefier than the JetSpeed cap. The top of the boot and liner appear to differ from stock ASV spec.

Has he previously worn a one-piece boot in a game before? I’ve seen footage of him at a charity scrimmage in some one-piece Tacks, but not any of him in NHL action.

You posted the video where he actually wore a one piece in a game before. I meant to link that in my previous post but something went weird.

10 hours ago, PBH said:

These are for sure a one-piece boot. The specifications of the boot though are anyones guess. Could be a FT4 or 100K skinned as a Tack. No clue unless you can get your hands on them. Back in the day I could ask JS @CCM and he might share some info but since he left CCM I don't even know who I would talk to. 

Yeah this photo proves they are. I swear it wasn't there when I made that comment 😂

5 hours ago, Hills said:

You posted the video where he actually wore a one piece in a game before. I meant to link that in my previous post but something went weird.

Yeah this photo proves they are. I swear it wasn't there when I made that comment 😂

Ah. I didn't think those were true FT2s, just dressed up JetSpeeds with pretty much his usual specs and the newer graphics package. From the photos I can find of that crash game, it's hard to tell. His "FT2s" had pleather instead of the standard g-string facing, so they're already somewhat visibly modified to his spec. I would bet these had an outsole as well, though it's hard to be certain. Pausing the crash video at 0:41 you can see it's just dark grey instead of full color like the FT2 had which makes me think it's the JS outsole. Link to that shot: 

TQECNEP.png

Edited by flip12
Clearer visual, and source link.
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, flip12 said:

Ah. I didn't think those were true FT2s, just dressed up JetSpeeds with pretty much his usual specs and the newer graphics package. From the photos I can find of that crash game, it's hard to tell. His "FT2s" had pleather instead of the standard g-string facing, so they're already somewhat visibly modified to his spec. I would bet these had an outsole as well, though it's hard to be certain. Pausing the crash video at 0:41 you can see it's just dark grey instead of full color like the FT2 had which makes me think it's the JS outsole. Link to that shot: 

Nah you are right again.

edmonton-oilers-center-connor-mcdavid-is

Serves me right trust people from Instagram without searching it up myself

• Like 1

I think it's safe to say he will ride those skates out like marleau did with his. But he's mcdavid so ccm will keep producing it for him. 

• Like 1

Seems like he is enjoying the new skates. First time I have seen him make a change and stick with it. I am sure the Edmonton Equipment Manager loves dealing with thos SB holders when he needs to swap steel on the fly 

😉 

connor-mcdavid-of-the-edmonton-oilers-lo

connor-mcdavid-of-the-edmonton-oilers-ha

On 2/2/2022 at 7:45 PM, PBH said:

Seems like he is enjoying the new skates. First time I have seen him make a change and stick with it. I am sure the Edmonton Equipment Manager loves dealing with thos SB holders when he needs to swap steel on the fly 

😉 

connor-mcdavid-of-the-edmonton-oilers-lo

connor-mcdavid-of-the-edmonton-oilers-ha

Wonder if his enjoyment might taper off after losing the fastest skater event? His  time was the worst in years, and his strides were choppy and not confident. First time I saw him gliding in corners vs running through them, so whatever benefits the new AS boot is supposed to bring aren’t apparent so far… 

22 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

This was on IG from tonight, for your diagnosing pleasure

686A33C3-1FF4-453F-A755-6FFD096F8613.jpeg

Even with the graphics package you know (and can see) these are nothing close to the retail as-v spec wise. Then again most pros prob have skates that are no where near retail spec and just a graphics package. Like Tavares. Uses a super soft boot.  Most pros also like the leather/pleather eyelet facing vs the rubber on retails. 

• Like 1

Edmonton EQ better stock up on blue locktite and screws for those speedblade holders. Those screws get loose if you look at them wrong; I imagine McDavid puts more torque on the holder and steel than I did. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, start_today said:

Edmonton EQ better stock up on blue locktite and screws for those speedblade holders. Those screws get loose if you look at them wrong; I imagine McDavid puts more torque on the holder and steel than I did. 

Crosby still uses them as well.

6 hours ago, start_today said:

I've never had issues with mine coming loose. I used to check the tightness every month and even drew dots on them so I could visually see if they unthreaded at all but they didn't. So now I just check the tightness when I feel like it... Like twice a year. Never had issues. I do however have a bunch of spares as I was initially worried about losing them. 

You can't beat the good old bolt runner system though. Not efficient at the pro level but for me, I'm going to stick with it as long as I can. I prefer the ls2 holder over the sb 4.0 but the only reason I stopped using that holder is I wasnt keen on drilling a hole in the sole of my new trues for the ls2 holders to swap steel... That and steel for those holders are becoming obsolete, especially black steel. 

connor-mcdavid-of-the-edmonton-oilers-to

I forgot my mental note to check McDavid’s footwear after the All-Star Break...no big surprise—he’s back in his OG JetSpeeds for now. Looks like he’s been back in them for almost a week.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

Do we really believe that the fastest skater race was the impetus for an equipment change from a player like him…?

My guess, with about 30% confidence is, CCM asked McD to wear something resembling their upcoming flagship skate at the ASG because that's an identifiable event. They can use that to say, "Look at McD wearing our AS-Vs in 2022!" without having to mention that he went right back to his trusty 2015 JetSpeeds. It's a little conflicting with that hypothesis that he wore his AS-Vish boots for a few games before the ASG as well, but maybe he really is close to being happy with them. Fedorov was in and out of Nike the first year they supplied him, so transitions from a skate the best skaters in the world know they love looks like it can be really tricky.

• Like 2

On 2/16/2022 at 4:10 AM, flip12 said:

My guess, with about 30% confidence is, CCM asked McD to wear something resembling their upcoming flagship skate at the ASG because that's an identifiable event. They can use that to say, "Look at McD wearing our AS-Vs in 2022!" without having to mention that he went right back to his trusty 2015 JetSpeeds. It's a little conflicting with that hypothesis that he wore his AS-Vish boots for a few games before the ASG as well, but maybe he really is close to being happy with them. Fedorov was in and out of Nike the first year they supplied him, so transitions from a skate the best skaters in the world know they love looks like it can be really tricky.

I cant reveal my source, but the CCM pro reps have been trying for many years to get him to change and has been incorporating a ton of his feedback into next generation skate designs. It seems he really enjoys working with them on such things as opposed to most other NHL players.

I was told both Connor and Crosby are OCD with their gear. Sid for example can tell if a boot is more than 1/8" larger/smaller in length. Both players are notorious for only accepting 20-25% of the gear issued to them and the rest is destroyed as they dont want it resold.

Wild stuff!

Edited by PBH
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

There’s a lot going on here with David’s shoulders. CCM belly pad, Old school Jofa chest pad, Reebok shoulder caps…

21411593-ED72-44E4-AD88-D0DAD57EEA43.jpeg

Those are some serious Franken-pads.  What's the blue material on the chest?  Any ideas?

11 hours ago, nutters said:

Matthews will be wearing a custom version of the Tacks AS-V Pro skates tonight

Is it just me or are CCM’s skates getting progressively uglier?

• Like 3