Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
nutters

2021-2022 Gear Sightings

Can we talk about the person walking around in public wearing their adult league jersey and adidas track pants? 

Is Korn headlining Let’s Play Hockey this year? 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, start_today said:

Can we talk about the person walking around in public wearing their adult league jersey and adidas track pants? 

Is Korn headlining Let’s Play Hockey this year? 

Years ago when I worked in a shop we always had the "I'm going to get my skates sharpened, better put on a jersey" guys come in. Never really got that. 

• Haha 1

On 1/27/2022 at 11:23 AM, marka said:

Howdy,

I think that's a pretty key assumption.  And if its invalid, it may well be exactly why the helmet does poorly on impact tests.  As to the assumption itself, it obviously doesn't hold up when pushed.  A knit winter hat fits really, really awesomely, but I think we can all agree that it doesn't provide much protection.

Until a company like CCM starts publishing internally generated impact data, the only game in town trying to quantify relative protection level is VT.  Its pretty disheartening to see then being ignored by manufacturers.  That's particularly true when how a helmet performs on independent impact studies could be a major advertising tool for them.  There's not many parents that aren't willing to shell out another hundred if they believe you when you say their kid's head will be protected better.

Mark

The issue I have with the VT ratings is not their testing methods but the post processing assumptions that are made to generate the rating.

This version of Mathews AS-V's looks much better.

More pics in their Instagram post.

Screenshot_20220314-200140.png

Edited by stick9
  • Like 1

My  thoughts are flashy yet somewhat subdued and at least they listened and shrunk the massive CCM that exists on the FT4 Pro.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 6:17 PM, mojo122 said:

My  thoughts are flashy yet somewhat subdued and at least they listened and shrunk the massive CCM that exists on the FT4 Pro.

I think the FT4 Pro is too flashy of a skate and the AS-V Pro looks much better. I also like that CCM ditched the yellow color and is moving to gold. 

On 3/14/2022 at 2:00 PM, dtoc said:

The issue I have with the VT ratings is not their testing methods but the post processing assumptions that are made to generate the rating.

Such as?

9 hours ago, moonrockticktock said:

Auston Matthews FT4 Pro skates for St. Pattie’s day. Too bad he didn’t play 

XNOAzF4_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

I wonder why it only says FT4 with no Pro 🤔

4 hours ago, BenBreeg said:
On 3/14/2022 at 1:00 PM, dtoc said:

Such as?

They run their test at 3 impact speeds on 4 helmet locations.  To come up with a single rating, they have embedded an assumed number of impacts for each of the 12 combinations.  There is little research data published on what to use and they have chosen 1 reference to use. "The average hockey player experiences 227 head impacts per season."

Until very recently they only published this single rating and even when reading their paper, you were not able to determine if a helmet has bad for a certain type of impact.

Recently, they updated their results presentation to include ratings for each of the 3 impact speeds.  Be careful reading the numbers because all the ratings are relative and the scale adjusts.

The one the surprised me the most is the SuperTacksX.  Having looked at the helmet, I would have expected it to fail at the high velocity impacts and be great at the low velocity.  But the results show the opposite. @marka

https://helmet.beam.vt.edu/hockey-helmet-ratings.html#57

The 2nd aspect is the risk analysis, the correlation between test results and likelihood of concussion.  This is harder for me to dispute, as I am not an expert, but combining their testing with other concussion research models for this would be good.

Overall, I greatly appreciate the work they have done, as no one else has published anything close to this level of scientific analysis on the helmets available.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, nutters said:

I wonder why it only says FT4 with no Pro 🤔

A closer look at the skates

same as the other Matthews Tacks skates posted before these ones have the holders with the logos on it. But by the time they get to the leafs the holders are all white. I wonder why they block out the branding on the holders. 
XAvMFxF_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Edited by moonrockticktock
  • Like 2

I’m an open minded and progressive guy in most of my life. But, every time a new next gen type jersey comes out I am a belligerent old man yelling about “kids these days” and “hell in a hand basket.” 

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, start_today said:

I’m an open minded and progressive guy in most of my life. But, every time a new next gen type jersey comes out I am a belligerent old man yelling about “kids these days” and “hell in a hand basket.” 

297.png

• Haha 1

Ok I spoke to "the experts"... my 9yo son likes them, likes the colors and thinks the design on the reverse side is cool (has no idea who Beiber is).  My 12yo daughter thinks they're lame (she's 12 and is VERY opinionated so this was an emphatic "lame!" 🤣), she has heard of Justin Beiber but doesn't know who he is or why he's famous.  I mean maybe it's more aimed at local Toronto kids so maybe the rest of us are out of the loop but if it's aimed at kids I think more colorful and fun designs might be better (looking at you Dallas Stars with the obnoxious green on black that I absolutely hated at first but have come to realize it actually really works well... of course both of my kids loved it from the get go lol, I clearly wasn't the target demographic there either).

• Like 3

On 3/21/2022 at 2:15 PM, moonrockticktock said:

I saw this in a video yesterday. Just found it interesting that the equipment managers stitched capitals sleeve colors on Ovie’s elbow pads because he pulls his sleeves up. I’m assuming he has a home and away pair.  p6WvTBa_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Yeah he has the sleeves on his actual jersey chopped off and wears these 'socks' instead once you notice it in a picture you can't help but not see it, guessing some 4th liner is missing his sleeves somewhere.

On 3/24/2022 at 1:03 AM, xstartxtodayx said:

Ok I spoke to "the experts"... my 9yo son likes them, likes the colors and thinks the design on the reverse side is cool (has no idea who Beiber is).  My 12yo daughter thinks they're lame (she's 12 and is VERY opinionated so this was an emphatic "lame!" 🤣), she has heard of Justin Beiber but doesn't know who he is or why he's famous.  I mean maybe it's more aimed at local Toronto kids so maybe the rest of us are out of the loop but if it's aimed at kids I think more colorful and fun designs might be better (looking at you Dallas Stars with the obnoxious green on black that I absolutely hated at first but have come to realize it actually really works well... of course both of my kids loved it from the get go lol, I clearly wasn't the target demographic there either).

That is bonkers, a 12 year old not knowing why Beiber is famous, I'm guessing she was probably too young for him.