Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
nutters

2021-2022 Gear Sightings

On 3/27/2022 at 3:38 PM, Left Wing King said:

Yeah he has the sleeves on his actual jersey chopped off and wears these 'socks' instead once you notice it in a picture you can't help but not see it, guessing some 4th liner is missing his sleeves somewhere.

That is bonkers, a 12 year old not knowing why Beiber is famous, I'm guessing she was probably too young for him. 

I thought he just pulled his sleeves up not actually had them cut off. 

• Like 1

I’m watching the panthers/devils game and I noticed Jesper Boqvist on the devils looks like he’s using retail hyperlite skates. I’m just going off the neon green hyperflex outsole, which is normally grey on customs. But just thought it was interesting.

ZdSje05_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

I couldn’t get a good photo from the current panthers/devils game so I found a better pic online and an interesting thing I noticed is the ref in the photo is using the carbonlite runner. 

I’m just surprised at how more and more players are wearing their socks over their tendon guards 🤮 why?!

Edited by Westside

1 hour ago, Westside said:

I’m just surprised at how more and more players are wearing their socks over their tendon guards 🤮 why?!

I did it when i was a kid, 35 years ago, not new.

Edited by BenBreeg

Same. Probably because I was tiny and the knit socks were massive. Just seems like more and more pros are going back to this and I’m not sure why/what benefit there would be. With modern socks they’re tight enough compared to how roomy knit socks were. Seems like this would restrict movement more 

Edited by Westside

20 hours ago, Westside said:

Maybe they're optimizing the use of new cut-resistant socks.

2v2EV61Vax1YqB.jpg

Edited by Larry54
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Larry54 said:

Maybe they're optimizing the use of new cut-resistant socks.

2v2EV61Vax1YqB.jpg

This makes a lot of sense.  The sock would make it harder for skate blades to get under the tendon guard.  Or maybe to keep snow from getting into their skates?

Honestly I think you're all thinking too much into it, the guys who go socks over probably just like the way it looks.  When I was a kid I was a socks over (some kids even wore them down around the heels 🤮), when I started wearing the modern socks that tend to be tighter I stopped going over the tendon guard because most just felt too tight when I did it.  Panarin goes over tendon guard but keeps his tongues out up front which is prob the ugliest option imho, it's like a reverse mullet for your skates.

14 hours ago, start_today said:

I swear Jagr wore his socks over his heels for a bit, but I can’t find any pics of it. 

I remember the same and it makes sense, my friend was obsessed with him back then and he wore his socks like that for a bit.  I can't find any pics of it either, just the usual over the tendon guard look, but also I remember for a while he'd tape around the bottom/back of the heel and around the top of the foot on an angle, might've held the socks at one time and added heel lock? He was/is def a unique guy lol

2 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

I remember the same and it makes sense, my friend was obsessed with him back then and he wore his socks like that for a bit.  I can't find any pics of it either, just the usual over the tendon guard look, but also I remember for a while he'd tape around the bottom/back of the heel and around the top of the foot on an angle, might've held the socks at one time and added heel lock? He was/is def a unique guy lol

He did that on the rangers

• Like 1

Howdy,

I need to start doing the socks over the tendon guard thing.  Occasionally I get a build up of the hem / bunched up sock between the tendon guard and the back of my ankle and its irritating.

Mark

Howdy,

15 minutes ago, Left Wing King said:

Can you not just pull your socks up?

Usually.  Sometimes it doesn't seem to solve it though.  But it can't bunch up if its not in there to begin with.  As a bonus, maybe someone will chirp me about it and I'll have an excuse to cross check someone.

Mark

I have tried that on occasion in warm ups. The over the tendon guard look I call it “the Swede”. Always feels too restrictive. Pull the sock off after 5 minutes. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OldCY said:

I have tried that on occasion in warm ups. The over the tendon guard look I call it “the Swede”. Always feels too restrictive. Pull the sock off after 5 minutes. 

I like the look, but it does impede flexion and thus functionality.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 2:40 PM, Westside said:

Protects against getting your Achilles tendon cut.

3 hours ago, AnimalFear said:

Protects against getting your Achilles tendon cut.

Pro stock socks have anti cut materials on the back of the sock already. The socks cover that area regardless if they’re over the tendon guard or not. If anything, wouldn’t having the sock over the tendon guard make it easier for the sock to be pulled up over the tendon guard, thereby exposing your Achilles even more? There are also anti cut skate socks too (not sure how many pros wear them) which seems like they’d protect your tendon even better. 

Sorry, but your point still doesn’t justify the reason. 

And what was exactly my original comment; noticing more players doing it. From a style perspective, it looks terrible. From a stride perspective, it seems like it would limit it. I could see younger players on the Blackhawks doing it because Kane and Toews do it, but I still find it strange. Flop vs tuck, heel to toe vs toe to heel, I get it all comes down to our own personal preferences, but this one I seem to be stuck on the reason/benefit 

Having some wrap around the tendon guard can reestablish connection to the back half of the skate blade which can get lost when lacing loose to allow range of motion. I haven’t skated in modern socks, so I don’t know how big of an effect this could have. My guess is it has no effect either way. Like Kovalchuk did, NHLers will skate the same tucked or untucked.

6 hours ago, flip12 said:

Having some wrap around the tendon guard can reestablish connection to the back half of the skate blade which can get lost when lacing loose to allow range of motion. I haven’t skated in modern socks, so I don’t know how big of an effect this could have. My guess is it has no effect either way. Like Kovalchuk did, NHLers will skate the same tucked or untucked.

IMO if you are losing connection to the back half of your skate blade it is a technique problem and not going to be fixed by anything like we are talking about.