Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
beedee

Do you rotate between your sticks if they are the exact same ones?

I have two of the exact same sticks that I bring to my beer league games (CCM JetSpeed FT3 Grip). I was wondering if you guys that also have two of the same sticks ever alternate between them? Or do you just use one until it breaks, or maybe starts to wear out after awhile? Or do you swap them out every other game? Etc. When I had two different sticks (Bauer and Warrior), I'd switch them out from time to time during the game to see if it helps me if I'm having a less than good game. But now that I have the exact same sticks, I have yet to do that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, beedee said:

I have two of the exact same sticks that I bring to my beer league games (CCM JetSpeed FT3 Grip). I was wondering if you guys that also have two of the same sticks ever alternate between them? Or do you just use one until it breaks, or maybe starts to wear out after awhile? Or do you swap them out every other game? Etc. When I had two different sticks (Bauer and Warrior), I'd switch them out from time to time during the game to see if it helps me if I'm having a less than good game. But now that I have the exact same sticks, I have yet to do that.

I alternate and write numbers on the back of the top.  1,2,3,4,etc.  

• Like 1

I have all the same spec on different manufacturers stick. I like to rotate every two shifts or so. That is just me. Just so I can use them!🤘

• Like 2

Sometimes, if my tape job is wearing down, I'll practice with it before retaping it and switch to a newly-taped stick for games. By the time that one needs to be retaped, the other one is ready to go again. I like to cover the entire blade including the toe so it doesn't get messed up digging pucks out along the boards. 

I bring 2 of the same stick to every game, I have different colored grip/medical tape on the butt ends to tell them apart.  I generally switch halfway through the game or once the tape is getting too soaked with ice (even with wax it can only take so much lol).

I use one until it breaks, that way the back up is fresh and ready to go. I’ll use it here or there if there is a tape vs skate blade catastrophe, but typically stick to one. My nightmare would be using both equally, then having them both break or go soft at the same time, and not having a fallback option. 
The answer there is to have another ”in case of emergency” back up that I don’t use, but that seems like too much*. 

Over the past few years, I just recently entered the world of having my back up stick be a quality stick I liked. Historically, my back up was something that had gone slightly soft, or a stick I didn’t like much. But, in the rare cases I’d have to make full use of the back up stick, it was a clear step down and got in my head. 

*realizing right now that I have multiple uncut, untaped to-be-used-later sticks downstairs. Ugh. hahaha  Damn you internet/consumerism!!!!

• Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 1:57 PM, ggmunsen said:

And here I thought I was the only one that does this... 

On 8/18/2021 at 11:03 AM, iceman8310 said:

I alternate and write numbers on the back of the top.  1,2,3,4,etc.  

Did this too when I got a good deal on a prior gen top-line stick which got even hotter as the price went lower, ended up with 4 of the same all for $400 CAD.  Never was able to replicate so now all my sticks are random singles.

I rotate and have two ft3 pros and one trigger 4 pro.  I bring one ft3 pro and one t4 pro to the rink and depending what position I play or what flex I feel like using I'll choose one over the other.  Ft3 pro is 70 flex and my t4 is 75. Been feeling better with the 75 flex lately though, but I'm kind of fickle when it comes to going from one to the other. 

Edited by Sniper9

I do rotate my sticks - it's so that the feel is consistent as they get used more and more. Sticks lose their whip with use and I don't want to have to adapt too much from a used stick to a fresh one when the first stick breaks, especially if it's in the middle of a game.  

I have two of the same Super Tacks, bought at the same time. I rotate them between tape jobs so that when one wears, I just grab the other one and keep playing. Then I'll tape the first one later on, wash rinse and repeat. It is definitely nice if I get a big gouge out of my tape in the middle of the game I can grab my other stick and know it is exactly the same. Unfortunately by fate I tend to break both at the same time, albeit last time it was because I got one lodged in the boards, the other slashed in half. Just broke the first one in my current set in a weird accident on the bench, it got pinned on the turnbuckle. 😞 Time for a new set I guess.