Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
bl4

Vapor v Supreme Shin Pad

I'm trying to decide between Vapor and Supreme shins.  I like the Supremes, but I haven't been able to try on the Vapors in the right size.  I'd go with the Supremes, except that I wear my tongues out, and I get the sense based on reviews and product descriptions that the Vapors might be a lower profile, making it more comfortable to wear them under, rather than over tongues.  Does anyone have experience with both lines?  Any advice would be appreciated greatly.

We're just going to Supreme 2S Pro's from Vapor 1X Lite's. The 2S Pro's are much wider, higher volume. I'm not sure if this would be true in all Supreme-Vapor comparisons. Also, they are just regular "plastic" where the 1X Lites are Curv Composite and mold into any width with very little heat.

• Thanks 1

Are Vapor elbows lower volume than Supremes? I have Supreme 2S Pro elbows, small adult, and they slide down my arms. The next size down are too short ie leave exposed arms.

I was able to tongue flop with my Supreme 2S Pro shins when I tried out tongue flopping, though I don’t normally do so. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Leif said:

Are Vapor elbows lower volume than Supremes? I have Supreme 2S Pro elbows, small adult, and they slide down my arms. The next size down are too short ie leave exposed arms.

If you’re ok moving out of the Bauer ecosystem, I find STX surgeon elbows to be lower volume. I’m thin and tall, and the mediums work fine for me. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, start_today said:

If you’re ok moving out of the Bauer ecosystem, I find STX surgeon elbows to be lower volume. I’m thin and tall, and the mediums work fine for me. 

Unfortunately they are hard to get in the UK. It looks like the Vapor should suit, I’ll wait for some clearance ones to appear.

On 8/27/2021 at 8:48 AM, start_today said:

Any chance you've tried the STX surgeon shins? There's a big sale on their site, and I'm tempted to try them out.

1 hour ago, start_today said:

I posted a review of the Surgeon 3.1 elbows, shoulders, and shins on page 7 of this thread:

Very helpful - thanks!

Hmm, the latest Vapor 2X Pro are nothing similar in appearance to my Vapor X100 shin pads. They don't have the segmented lower shin section. It seemed gimmicky anyway. I wore the Vapor shin guards under the tongue and got a shin pad that was an inch shorter than my previous Rbk/CCM pads.

Edited by caveman27
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, caveman27 said:

Hmm, the latest Vapor 2X Pro are nothing similar in appearance to my Vapor X100 shin pads. They don't have the segmented lower shin section. It seemed gimmicky anyway. I wore the Vapor shin guards under the tongue and got a shin pad that was an inch shorter than my previous Rbk/CCM pads.

Bauer ditched the flex cap on the bottom of the current Vapor line but added it to the new Supreme shins. Product line identity crisis....

• Like 1

On 8/31/2021 at 3:17 PM, PBH said:

I dislike the new 2021 Supreme shinguards. They are a bit too bulky. 

Forward/depth (i.e. padding is thicker) or sideways (wider leg channels)?

On 8/31/2021 at 2:17 PM, PBH said:

I dislike the new 2021 Supreme shinguards. They are a bit too bulky. 

That's how I feel about the 2S Pro's vs the 1X Lite. 2S Pro's are big and heavy.

I had the 1X's and got rid of them during my break from hockey. Tried the 2S Pro's but, as others said, they were too bulky. I have the 2X Pro's which fit much better but I'd still take the 1X's over what I currently have when it comes to fit.

• Like 1

Original 1X shins or 2nd generation 1X Lite?  1X Lite were/are awesome with the CURV and additional Aerolite foam behind the shin.  2X Pro shins IMO are a big disappointment as they went back to plastic for the shin and ditched the Aerolite for a suspension type bridge to keep the shin away from the leg.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mojo122 said:

Original 1X shins or 2nd generation 1X Lite?  1X Lite were/are awesome with the CURV and additional Aerolite foam behind the shin.  2X Pro shins IMO are a big disappointment as they went back to plastic for the shin and ditched the Aerolite for a suspension type bridge to keep the shin away from the leg.

I like the fit of the 2X Pro shins but the protection and durability are not good. The 1X Lite shins were fantastic but the calf area and strapping needed some refinement.

Overall, the 2X line of Vapor was disappointing. They took away so many features and selling points all to save weight. Clearly they were aiming for 12U and younger because every player I know that plays high level hockey over 14U has swapped to Supreme. 

Can you imagine taking a hit in a game and your shoulder pads doing this? These shoulder pads were purchased by a 14U player and the caps fell apart after only 30 days. 

dzp5Ufs.jpg

WFHcyVF.jpg

On 9/7/2021 at 9:48 PM, mojo122 said:

For me it was the OG 1X's. I never wore the 1X Lites. It's crazy to say but the 1X's are my favorite shin guards to date.

On 9/10/2021 at 11:57 AM, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

For me it was the OG 1X's. I never wore the 1X Lites. It's crazy to say but the 1X's are my favorite shin guards to date.

100% agree on this. The original 1X were great! I tried the 1x lite for one game and found they were not hear as good as the original. Saw the 2x pro at the LHS and they look even worse than the 1x lites