Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JV23

9080 vs 9090 junior skate - when is stiff too stiff?

Hi all.  A while ago, I had posted about my son’s feet and their high volume making skate fitting a bit difficult.  He ended in a size 2 jr 9080 which he loves and fits well.  With Labour Day sales in play, I am able to pick up some 1/2 and full sizes bigger (eyeballing the size 3), where I have the choice between the 9080 and 9090.  Am I right in thinking at Jr 3, the 9090 (same frame as the AS1 I believe) would be insanely stiff for an 11 year old?  It’s a great deal financially but not so much if it impacts skating.  He’s already skating one eyelet down in his size 2 9080’s and loving the knee bend.  Figuring if I can get skates that fit now, I won’t be stressing later if these go and he can’t wear the newer model.

Thanks for any wisdom…

I skated for a short time in both the 9080 and 9090 adult sizes.  The 9090 surprisingly had great forward flex when laced one eyelet down.  It was similar to the 9080.  What I did find with the 9090 is the comfort edge didn't do a very good job, so I had some discomfort above my outer ankles.  That problem didn't exist with the 9080.  Other than that, the skating experience was very similar between the two.

Thanks.  With Labour Day sale prices, I got the 9090s all in for sub $175 CAD, so if they don’t work out, it’s not the end of the world.  

• Like 1