Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jbear

Trying 100k's Next Week

1 hour ago, PBH said:

I went with the standard donut foams. I didnt see a need to go with anything thicker.

I see. I thought you're adding more foam at the top of the ankle ie under the comfort pad so it sits on top of the donuts vs overlying over them.
the ankle donuts are great, super thick, but they don't extend all the way to the top of the skate, and as they taper off, the stake edge is still only covered by a thin layer of foam under the comfort pad.

also curious if you follow 2 mins baking instructions of bake your skates longer?

22 hours ago, SolarWind said:

I see. I thought you're adding more foam at the top of the ankle ie under the comfort pad so it sits on top of the donuts vs overlying over them.
the ankle donuts are great, super thick, but they don't extend all the way to the top of the skate, and as they taper off, the stake edge is still only covered by a thin layer of foam under the comfort pad.

also curious if you follow 2 mins baking instructions of bake your skates longer?

I bake my skates 3 times, each time for 4m 30s. Thats with the oven already prewarmed

23 hours ago, SolarWind said:

The ankle padding in the 70k and 80k's are thicker and softer than what's you get in the 100k. On the flip side, the comfort edge on the 100k is way more robust.

I LOVED the ankle padding in my 70ks. It's the only thing I don't like about the 100k pros. I considered going custom just to get that back. With the price hike of $400 it didn't seem worth it.

Edited by stick9

Practice last night...my left pinky toe was feeling it.  May have to push the toe cap out a few mm's. Not sure why it didn't bother me before. I do notice that the toe cap is a bit more narrow than the AS3 Pro. Not sure why, but...it's fixable. Other than that...noice!

10 hours ago, PBH said:

I bake my skates 3 times, each time for 4m 30s. Thats with the oven already prewarmed

4.5 min in a preheated oven is a lot longer than what instructions state a max recommended time of 2 mins. Is that safe? Could it lead to long term deterioration of the boot?

On 9/22/2021 at 10:32 PM, SolarWind said:

4.5 min in a preheated oven is a lot longer than what instructions state a max recommended time of 2 mins. Is that safe? Could it lead to long term deterioration of the boot?

I think with the 100k skates there is more fiberglass in the boot too allow more flexion so that time seems fine. I also don't really crank the laces or anything. I prefer to use the plastic shrink wrap method. 

Also, since they are my skates I don't really care if they break down fast as I swap skates often to try out every model released. 

Customers skates I won't ever go over 3 minutes unless it's a custom AS3 Pro and they requested it to be extra stiff. 

1 hour ago, PBH said:

I think with the 100k skates there is more fiberglass in the boot too allow more flexion so that time seems fine. I also don't really crank the laces or anything. I prefer to use the plastic shrink wrap method. 

Also, since they are my skates I don't really care if they break down fast as I swap skates often to try out every model released. 

Customers skates I won't ever go over 3 minutes unless it's a custom AS3 Pro and they requested it to be extra stiff. 

makes sense.
I had the shop bake the retail skates for 7 mins starting in the cold oven, and then tried baking customs for 2 mins in the preheated oven and the latter was by FAR not even close to be as pliable as the former. There was no visible difference in the boot between 2 methods which supports your assertion that the boot seems to handle it just fine. 

curious - what is the general temperature of a common skate oven when it's pre-heated? some sources say 170, some say 180, but doesn't look like it goes to 220 so instructions might only be relevant for baking @ home?

on a related note: Not sure if I'm the only one noticing this, but to me it looks like foams inside 100K boot are very different from the foam in the top Bauer skates? CCM foams are def more voluminous but they are very squishy and not very supportive! Bauer foams seem more dense and spongy so when pressed hard against them it never feels like they are completely flattening and giving out. Vs CCM when I press hard I can actually feel the hard surface underneath. As a result when I roll on the edge hard I can feel the ankle bone digging into the skate, something that never happened to me with Bauer?!

So now they're perfect! 

I took the tongue and laces out and clamped it in the vise.  Took the heat gun to the toecap inside and out.  Took a puck, which turns out is just a couple of mm's wider in diameter than the toe box, and tapped it in with a hammer.  Heated again for a little bit. Let it set for about an hour.  Tried it and it was waaaaay better, but I felt it wasn't quite there.  I repeated the process only this time I increased the diameter of the puck.  I used painters tape to fasten a Grolsh bottle washer (have a ton...I use them as guitar straplocks) to the edge.  Tapped it in again, with the washer pushing against the problem spot and left it a few hours to set. I skated in them today and they felt great.  No more squished together toes or pressure points.  We all good now.  I played Friday night in my AS3 Pros but next game up...these 100K's are goin' in🇨🇦🥅🏒👍😎

• Like 1

So I skated for the first time in my 100ks today.  The fit is way better than my 2x pros as I actually have a heel lock in these skates.  One thing I noticed though is the weird material that connects the toe box and the boot.  I'm currently wearing a 6.5 regular and my pinky toe is like squeezed up against that material.  Wondering if I should size up to a 7 or try a wide? 

On 9/27/2021 at 2:02 PM, Jbear said:

I took the tongue and laces out and clamped it in the vise.  

My recommendation when you do this is you leave some lace in and tie it up, say the first 3 eyelets only. This helps the boot keep the correct wrap shape around the top of the foot as you drive the puck into the toe box, so instead of opening up the upper portion of the boot the stretch occurs on the sides which is where you want it to happen. Good call on the puck though, I have used them many times to widen a forefoot area or toe box.

On 9/25/2021 at 11:58 AM, SolarWind said:

curious - what is the general temperature of a common skate oven when it's pre-heated? some sources say 170, some say 180, but doesn't look like it goes to 220 so instructions might only be relevant for baking @ home?

A few years ago (I think around 2012 or 13) we measured 2 Mission and 1 Bauer skate oven, all 3 heated to 180. Never tried a CCM oven or anything made recently.

10 hours ago, Lfntn10 said:

So I skated for the first time in my 100ks today.  The fit is way better than my 2x pros as I actually have a heel lock in these skates.  One thing I noticed though is the weird material that connects the toe box and the boot.  I'm currently wearing a 6.5 regular and my pinky toe is like squeezed up against that material.  Wondering if I should size up to a 7 or try a wide? 

A wide will be wider everywhere, not just the toe box.

The boot opens up a bit as it breaks in. As that happens your foot should sit a little deeper in the heel pocket. Both will help your issue.

Keep in mind, you have CCM 90 day warranty. So you can skate in them long enough to know how they will really feel.

Exactly what happened to me. Weird cuz my AS3 Pros are the same size (albeit D v "regular").  The rest of the left skate feels great, and the right was perfect out of the box...hence the solution I described. 

Before you do any mods...check the CCM return policy so you don't end up stuck if they don't work out. 

Thanks for the info. I have some ultrasonics in fit 3 but I’ve got a pair of 100k pro wide on the way.  This thread and others on the 100k have me intrigued. Hopefully they will work out as a comfortable option.  

Probably going to end up returning my 100ks due to the toe box issue.  Skated in them about 4-5 times so far and it’s still been uncomfortable, even despite lacing the forefoot looser.  My right foot also fell asleep in these skates. This was a 6.5 Regular for reference.

I did end up grabbing a pair of 6.5D As3 Pros and they are way more comfortable but haven’t skated in them yet.  Waiting for my profiled step  steel black to arrive before I do.

Edited by Lfntn10

20 minutes ago, Lfntn10 said:

Probably going to end up returning my 100ks due to the toe box issue.  Skated in them about 4-5 times so far and it’s still been uncomfortable, even despite lacing the forefoot looser.  My right foot also fell asleep in these skates. This was a 6.5 Regular for reference.

I did end up grabbing a pair of 6.5D As3 Pros and they are way more comfortable but haven’t skated in them yet.  Waiting for my profiled step  steel black to arrive before I do.

Strange considering the toe box between the two skates is nearly the same. Is it the area where the toe box is attached to the boot?

I played in them on Friday night. Don't know if I was just "on" or what but it was my best skating game in a long time. It was definitely worth the time and effort to get that toebox widened.  I didn't think I could like a pair of skates more than the AS3 PROs but...it's a least a tie at this point! 

For whatever reason...there's definitely a difference in the toebox shape between the two models. It's strange. I get the top-bottom cuz the shape is different, but looking down from above...you would've thought they'd be the same.  Anyway...great now...awesome ride!

9 minutes ago, PBH said:

Strange considering the toe box between the two skates is nearly the same. Is it the area where the toe box is attached to the boot?

Yup right in that area.  It felt tighter in the 100ks than the AS3.  

2 hours ago, Lfntn10 said:

Yup right in that area.  It felt tighter in the 100ks than the AS3.  

Makes sense. The way the FT4 and 100K attach there is different than the AS3 and I have seen some people have issues. Usually I tell them to go Total Custom with an oversized toe cap which fixes the issue.

21 minutes ago, PBH said:

Makes sense. The way the FT4 and 100K attach there is different than the AS3 and I have seen some people have issues. Usually I tell them to go Total Custom with an oversized toe cap which fixes the issue.

I might consider going that route with the 100ks and still keep the AS3 pros.  Do major retailers do total customs?  If so I'd probably opt for the boot to be a bit stiffer and get that oversized toe cap.

3 hours ago, Lfntn10 said:

I might consider going that route with the 100ks and still keep the AS3 pros.  Do major retailers do total customs?  If so I'd probably opt for the boot to be a bit stiffer and get that oversized toe cap.

Yes, most retailers (big box stores) should do custom CCM. You can also go on the CCM website and search for retailers that offer custom skates too.

Personally, I don't recommend going stiffer in the 100K as that defeats the purpose of the skate design. If you need a stiffer skate then you should stick with the AS3 Pro or FT4 Pro.

5 hours ago, PBH said:

Personally, I don't recommend going stiffer in the 100K as that defeats the purpose of the skate design. If you need a stiffer skate then you should stick with the AS3 Pro or FT4 Pro.

Not is the bottom is extra stiff and the top is stiff since then the boot is a blend between As3 pro where it’s not supposed to flex and ft4 pro where flex matters?

plus of course the conservative look unlike ft4s that are just to flashy for the traditional crowd 😉

Edited by SolarWind

3 hours ago, NDhockey13 said:

I don’t love the way mine fit.  I’m going to sell them for sure. Sticking with ultrasonics.  They work for me. 

Are you past the 90 days now?

21 minutes ago, Lfntn10 said:

Are you past the 90 days now?

I picked em up off ss as a shot in the dark. Not that much money if it didn’t work out. Figured If they didn’t work I could resell them.  Not the dumbest thing I’ve done with $600+-