Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jbear

Trying 100k's Next Week

Ended up exchanging my 100k regulars for a wide, and they ended up feeling like…my AS3 Pros in D width?  I was surprised and happy at the same time.  Time to give these a proper whirl now.

On 10/9/2021 at 1:34 PM, Lfntn10 said:

Ended up exchanging my 100k regulars for a wide, and they ended up feeling like…my AS3 Pros in D width?  I was surprised and happy at the same time.  Time to give these a proper whirl now.

How did it go? Do you still have them?

18 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

At 220???

I just got finished molding some Jetspeeds and I have to be honest, I did not realize skates were this moldable. I baked them 3x for 30 seconds longer than recommended, but I don't think I was tying them tight enough.

What ended up working was tying them to where I would want them during a game, then spot treating them with a hair dryer that I measured at maybe 275 degrees. They heated up pretty quick. 

I also used the hairdryer to mold the inside padding.

This works to specifically pinpoint areas without risking eyelet damage. Or using your hands to massage the boot around your foot after tying at 60%. The eyelet facings will wrap more and produce some slack in the laces which will also prevent excessive pulling on the eyelets. Or... True saran wrap method. 

On 4/14/2022 at 12:19 PM, pgeorgan said:

I have Saran Wrap on a stick. I couldn't get it tight enough. 

Then the boot probably wasn't soft enough. Never had an issue with my trues but those get pretty soft

1 hour ago, pgeorgan said:

I didn't like the skate at the end of the day, and they are going back.

Didn't you just post on the other thread that they fit perfectly and you were selling your Bauers?

3 minutes ago, pgeorgan said:

This. I am keeping Ribcors, returning Jetspeeds. 

Assuming they're both the same size sounds like there's a distinct fit difference aside from the advertised boot stiffness? 

2 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

Indeed, the fit difference was night and day. These two skates, in my experience, were not even remotely similar in shape of exterior, or interior. I thought they'd all be the same, minus the stiffness. That was completely wrong. Eg, the heel on the Ribcor is noticeably tighter than the Jetspeed. You can verify that just by looking at them externally, side by side.

Thanks for clarifying the fit difference.

7 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

Indeed, the fit difference was night and day. These two skates, in my experience, were not even remotely similar in shape of exterior, or interior. I thought they'd all be the same, minus the stiffness. That was completely wrong. Eg, the heel on the Ribcor is noticeably tighter than the Jetspeed. You can verify that just by looking at them externally, side by side.

The new fit systems from Bauer and CCM were supposed to simplify things, but I swear it's made it worse. 

I fit fairly well in a Reebok 20K,  and put that info into the CCM skate selection tool.  The tool suggested I go 1/2 size up in a Jetspeed, regular width.  I tried the skate on and it fits terribly.  My forefoot is crushed behind the toe box and the heel is loose.  It's the strangest fit I've ever seen in a skate. 

8 hours ago, boo10 said:

The new fit systems from Bauer and CCM were supposed to simplify things, but I swear it's made it worse. 

I fit fairly well in a Reebok 20K,  and put that info into the CCM skate selection tool.  The tool suggested I go 1/2 size up in a Jetspeed, regular width.  I tried the skate on and it fits terribly.  My forefoot is crushed behind the toe box and the heel is loose.  It's the strangest fit I've ever seen in a skate. 

The fit system confusing?? LOL like it wasn't majorly confusing before.

The goal of the Fit Systems was to allow players to wear whatever model skate they wanted. No more, you're a Supreme fit or you're a vapor fit. That was majorly annoying and flat out ridiculous.

I will admit, there are some minor annoyances. First, not every skate uses the fit system. Second, a tapered Ribcor feels and fits slightly different than a tapered Jetspeed. Not enough where I couldn't wear one or the other but enough to where one felt better than the other.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2022 at 3:46 AM, pgeorgan said:

How about the forefoot width? Were the 100k’s softer/flexible to accommodate for your foot shape compared to the jet speeds? 

I’m a little confused about this because before the new fit system was introduced the 80k’s were advertised as having a “narrow & flexible forefoot” that adapts to any foot. And the jet speed was advertised as narrow. But with the new fit system they haven’t spoken about that previous Ribcor feature that I think is a selling point for me as I’m straddling between a D and an E width with a regular A heel, so having a little more give in the forefoot would be good for my foot shape without sacrificing the heel being too big. 

And sorry about the confusion of thinking you were sending back the 100k’s after saying you loved them. 

22 minutes ago, moonrockticktock said:

How about the forefoot width? Were the 100k’s softer/flexible to accommodate for your foot shape compared to the jet speeds? 

I’m a little confused about this because before the new fit system was introduced the 80k’s were advertised as having a “narrow & flexible forefoot” that adapts to any foot. And the jet speed was advertised as narrow. But with the new fit system they haven’t spoken about that previous Ribcor feature that I think is a selling point for me as I’m straddling between a D and an E width with a regular A heel, so having a little more give in the forefoot would be good for my foot shape without sacrificing the heel being too big. 

And sorry about the confusion of thinking you were sending back the 100k’s after saying you loved them. 

The RIbcor is a slightly softer boot thus when baked it will open up a bit more than the Jetspeed. 

If you are like me, between a D and EE, basically an E width, you would want to go with a D or regular width skate. When you bake it you can put pressure on the boot to expand the forefoot slightly. This is assuming though that you have enough volume in the skate. If you don't have enough volume then nothing you can do will accommodate the extra width you might need. 

Remember, your foot is not 2 dimensional, it's 3 dimensional and length/width is only 2D. 

30 minutes ago, PBH said:

The RIbcor is a slightly softer boot thus when baked it will open up a bit more than the Jetspeed. 

If you are like me, between a D and EE, basically an E width, you would want to go with a D or regular width skate. When you bake it you can put pressure on the boot to expand the forefoot slightly. This is assuming though that you have enough volume in the skate. If you don't have enough volume then nothing you can do will accommodate the extra width you might need. 

Remember, your foot is not 2 dimensional, it's 3 dimensional and length/width is only 2D. 

Thanks for this. Yeah my foot volume is nothing out of the ordinary from what I’ve observed. It’s just the outsides of my feet, I looked up online it’s called the tuberosity of 5th metatarsal. From that bone to the base of my pinky toe bows out so it gets wider right there and that’s where my hot spot is. I have a solution I’ll give a try once I get the supplies. If it works out I’ll make a post about it. 

My old custom Graf G70 Ultras were getting a little worn, so I went to find something similar fit-wise and ended up with the Ribcor 76K a couple years ago.  Very comfy out of the box and I upgraded to the Ribcor 90K for $499 at the LHS in January and they've been a pleasant surprise.  I don't like my skates to be super stiff and with the addition of the black stepsteel and ortholite insoles, they've performed superbly.

I have a normal width foot but a high instep and these have proven be as good of a fit as my old Grafs.

Edited by epstud74
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, epstud74 said:

My old custom Graf G70 Ultras were getting a little worn, so I went to find something similar fit-wise and ended up with the Ribcor 76K a couple years ago.  Very comfy out of the box and I upgraded to the Ribcor 90K for $499 at the LHS in January and they've been a pleasant surprise.  I don't like my skates to be super stiff and with the addition of the black stepsteel and ortholite insoles, they've performed superbly.

I have a normal width foot but a high instep and these have proven be as good of a fit as my old Grafs.

The 90k is what I would consider the true evolution of the Ribcor line. The 100k pro is a different animal. It's more of a take on what a modern Ribcor would be like. Great skate, I absolutely love mine but they lack some of the things that drew me into 70k's. Enough where at one point I thought about getting custom 90k's.

On 4/30/2022 at 7:20 AM, stick9 said:

The 90k is what I would consider the true evolution of the Ribcor line. The 100k pro is a different animal. It's more of a take on what a modern Ribcor would be like. Great skate, I absolutely love mine but they lack some of the things that drew me into 70k's. Enough where at one point I thought about getting custom 90k's.

My only complaint with the 90K is CCM used a TPU outsole instead of a carbon outsole as they did with the 70K and 80K.

On 5/9/2022 at 1:58 AM, PBH said:

My only complaint with the 90K is CCM used a TPU outsole instead of a carbon outsole as they did with the 70K and 80K.

I second this. I think if they put a carbon outsole on the 90k it would attract more people that want the traditional boot option without having to downgrade because of their preference. On the other hand it might not be in Ccm’s interest to keep people on a two piece boot as they have now converted all their top of the line skates to one piece and by forcing people to switch out of lack of options might just get people used to their one piece boot and accept the change. 

On 5/8/2022 at 2:58 PM, PBH said:

6 hours ago, moonrockticktock said:

I second this. I think if they put a carbon outsole on the 90k it would attract more people that want the traditional boot option without having to downgrade because of their preference. On the other hand it might not be in Ccm’s interest to keep people on a two piece boot as they have now converted all their top of the line skates to one piece and by forcing people to switch out of lack of options might just get people used to their one piece boot and accept the change. 

CCM kind of messed with their numbering with the 100k... they went from 70k to 80k and then jumped to 100k as the top of the line Ribcor skate, so the 90k is really the new 78k which is why it's not a one piece and doesn't have the full tech of the the previous top of the line model.  Granted the 90k is prob a step higher than the previous 78k but it's still one level down from the top so they had to hold back on some of the fancy options.  I found this out when looking to upgrade my 78k's, I thought I found a steal on 90k's but then realized they were essentially just a newer version of what I already had (I completely jumped ship and went with a NOS pair of Jetspeed FT490's that I found for a bargain and have come to love).

On 5/20/2022 at 10:15 AM, xstartxtodayx said:

CCM kind of messed with their numbering with the 100k... they went from 70k to 80k and then jumped to 100k as the top of the line Ribcor skate, so the 90k is really the new 78k which is why it's not a one piece and doesn't have the full tech of the the previous top of the line model.  Granted the 90k is prob a step higher than the previous 78k but it's still one level down from the top so they had to hold back on some of the fancy options.  I found this out when looking to upgrade my 78k's, I thought I found a steal on 90k's but then realized they were essentially just a newer version of what I already had (I completely jumped ship and went with a NOS pair of Jetspeed FT490's that I found for a bargain and have come to love).

The 490's are a heck of a bargain.

The other miss on the 90k was sticking with standard sizing. The Fit system would have made it more attractive to a wider range of players. 

Edited by stick9

....and that's my worry about the materials used in that skate.   I was looing into that the Super Tacks AS1 skates a few years back and came across some threads, as well as YouTube videos that showed the composite materials used in the boot had some issues with cracking and or splitting.  I know you blocked a slap shot, but my god, should that even realistically happen to a skate boot?  Was it Zedeno Chara shooting at you?

Just now, pgeorgan said:

Nope! And I think that's the most reinforced part of the skate, right? Thank God it wasn't further along my instep. I'd have a broken foot.

Yea man, thats crazy.  I'm in the market for new skates still and I was leaning towards the 100k's......but after seeing this, it makes me second guess their durability.  I only play men's league now, but I do play D and often times i block shots out of habit.  Last thing i want to do is drop $900 and have this happen.  

14 minutes ago, pgeorgan said:

On a side note, the store is saying CCM won't go for a return under the 90-day guarantee because of the damage. I responded back that I disagreed for various reasons, but I guess that answers all the questions I've seen on this forum and elsewhere about said guarantee.

They will do a *replacement* though under the warranty, since it's still active. However, that leaves me with no option of reconsidering my purchase. I've had skates get hit before and not explode like this. Perhaps there's too much tension there because of the one-piece boot tech? Who knows, just spitballing here. 

Point being, the "guarantee" isn't really a guarantee. 

I think its dishonest on CCM's part if that's the case. There were no terms or fine print that I could find, but I guarantee if they slapped some fine print to the effect of "void if damaged" that people would think twice about taking them up on their offer. 

I know I would. 

Would they replace both skates or just the one that exploded?

I suppose you could sell the replacement skates but at a little bit of a loss unfortunately.