Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jbear

Trying 100k's Next Week

I definitely think the new Supreme skates look better with the mostly black colorway. The other skate lines seem kind of ostentatious to me.

10 hours ago, Jbear said:

Respectfully..."power and control" is...IMO...straight up marketing. I bet you can skate with power, control, agility, speed...etc.  in any skate if you're a strong skater... Same thing with twigs...if I have the right feel/balance and flex...kickpoint means nothing to me. 

Even the pattern doesn’t matter much if the balance is right. I was surprised by that. I definitely have preferences in patterns still, but by far the most important thing is the balance.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DSOP said:

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I only skated in the Ribcor six or seven times.  Before that, I hadn't been on skates in about 15 years.  My last skates were the CCM Tacks 252 which I purchased new sometime in the late 80s (basically a leather boot). I'm kind of at a loss with the new stuff from CCM and Bauer.

There aren't many stores selling skates, let alone much of a used market in Los Angeles. Add the pandemic to the equation, and stock is low everywhere.

Sounds like you'd better served looking at something mid-tier rather than top of the line. I've seen quite a fewer Bauer's that feel much softer than their top of the line siblings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pgeorgan said:

Haha I totally understand. I was just saying that between the two boots, I think a person will definitely notice a difference in which works better with their biomechanics. 

Have you tried any prior Supreme-line skate? I hadn't until this.

No...on my to-try list along with True TF9 (or whatever they supplant it with), and Graf's pro skate. Problem is only CCM and Bauer are available locally.  

A couple years ago when I was coming back to the sport, it was between the AS1 and 2SPro (those fit my foot best in each brand).  The Tacks felt soooo much better...like part of my feet.  The way I chose...blindfolded. Had my wife lace 'em up in the shop. Left them on for 15-20 minutes...stood...flexed (forward, backwards, and inside and outside edges), up on my toes...back on my heels.  Now they have an artificial surface that you can try them on, but...not sure that is too helpful if you can't bake first.

I've had many kids show me their new kicks and I ask why they chose that skate..."They look sick." "It's the fastest."  How do they feel compared to skate X?  "I didn't try anything else." or "Not as good but those were ugly."

Yeah...I hear that🤣.  I cringe when I see some bender in super-stiff skates and they're essentially running on ice cuz they can't flex the boot.  I suppose that's the downside of having sooooo many choices. You really have to be willing to educate yourself in order to take advantage. 

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

Sounds like you'd better served looking at something mid-tier rather than top of the line. I've seen quite a fewer Bauer's that feel much softer than their top of the line siblings.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I think I'll be comparing the Supreme M4 and the Ribcor 90K.