Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sprungdownunder

New marsblade ice holders

1 hour ago, CBnCO said:

Interesting. I'm not clear on where the prongs go into (inside of the boot I'm assuming but how do they flatten?). I see they sell round tee nuts without the prongs, akin to those in helmets. Let me know? Thanks.

The prongs go on the inside of the boot, they are there to drive into the sole so they stop the shaft from spinning as you tighten the bolt. However if you are putting them into a boot with a carbon fibre sole then I suggest you file them down so there is just a small nub left (or break them off bar one), I have seen instances where they have cracked the sole.

4 hours ago, Vet88 said:

The prongs go on the inside of the boot, they are there to drive into the sole so they stop the shaft from spinning as you tighten the bolt. However if you are putting them into a boot with a carbon fibre sole then I suggest you file them down so there is just a small nub left (or break them off bar one), I have seen instances where they have cracked the sole.

Depending on what the inside of the boot looks like you can nip off 3/4 of the prong so it will grab the inside of the boot but not damage the inside part of the skate outsole. I’ve had to do this on several occasions and never had a problem.

One issue that I'm trying to get my head around with the Marsblade holders is how the "Flow Motion" rocker movement relates to and interacts with the profile on the skate blade. Go read through the ProSharp site and there are now almost infinite numbers of profile patterns from Single to Quad to Ellipse. All of these profiles promises a specific performance enhancement: more blade on the ice for stability and speed, less blade on the ice for agility, forward pitch by moving balance point back Xmm, etc. and it seems the Marsblade technology is supposed to do many of these same things. For example: does a Quad 0 profile with the Marsblade holder (of course there are 5 rocker wedges to choose from!) perform and feel the exact same as with a standard holder?  Then, of course, you have the various ROH sharpening levels and all the new "flat bottom" types that promise equal bite, more glide, and the ability to use a lesser ROH equivalent for the same bite and more glide. Confusing, huh. 

So, my real question is with the Marsblade and how it effects profiling and sharpening. Initially, I thought the Marsblade holder would replace the need for custom profiling and maybe the only other variable would be to experiment with sharpening. But, in the Marsblade literature and from their customer service person they suggest to profile as you normally would. I'm concerned that there is now an introduction of another variable to the other two (profiling and sharpening) that makes dialing in the optimal combination virtually impossible for most people without unlimited budget, ice time, and steel to experiement on. 

I'd be interested in specific guidance from Marsblade and their engineers on the physics of how their holders interact with the blades profile and, to a lesser extent, the sharpening ROH or FBV equivalent. If the Marsblade holder actually does many of the same things a custom profile would and alleviates the need for custom profiling for most skaters there would be a considerable value add to the product, especially for those of us who don't have a competent profiling shop nearby. 

Thoughts? 

Edited by CBnCO

5 hours ago, CBnCO said:

One issue that I'm trying to get my head around with the Marsblade holders is how the "Flow Motion" rocker movement relates to and interacts with the profile on the skate blade. Go read through the ProSharp site and there are now almost infinite numbers of profile patterns from Single to Quad to Ellipse. All of these profiles promises a specific performance enhancement: more blade on the ice for stability and speed, less blade on the ice for agility, forward pitch by moving balance point back Xmm, etc. and it seems the Marsblade technology is supposed to do many of these same things. For example: does a Quad 0 profile with the Marsblade holder (of course there are 5 rocker wedges to choose from!) perform and feel the exact same as with a standard holder?  Then, of course, you have the various ROH sharpening levels and all the new "flat bottom" types that promise equal bite, more glide, and the ability to use a lesser ROH equivalent for the same bite and more glide. Confusing, huh. 

So, my real question is with the Marsblade and how it effects profiling and sharpening. Initially, I thought the Marsblade holder would replace the need for custom profiling and maybe the only other variable would be to experiment with sharpening. But, in the Marsblade literature and from their customer service person they suggest to profile as you normally would. I'm concerned that there is now an introduction of another variable to the other two (profiling and sharpening) that makes dialing in the optimal combination virtually impossible for most people without unlimited budget, ice time, and steel to experiement on. 

I'd be interested in specific guidance from Marsblade and their engineers on the physics of how their holders interact with the blades profile and, to a lesser extent, the sharpening ROH or FBV equivalent. If the Marsblade holder actually does many of the same things a custom profile would and alleviates the need for custom profiling for most skaters there would be a considerable value add to the product, especially for those of us who don't have a competent profiling shop nearby. 

Thoughts? 

I skated on the previous generation holder with and without profiled steel.

Without my usual profiled steel it was a disaster.

With the profiled steel I felt good, almost normal, very little time to adjust. The Marsblade helps keep the blade on the ice longer when going into/out of hard turns and such. That in combination with the proper profile for a players skating style should yield good result.

Overall, the Gen 1 holder was good, but heavy, and the structure of it was too delicate. If this Gen 2 holder corrected those issues then it might be something to consider.

On 10/4/2021 at 7:17 PM, PBH said:

I skated on the previous generation holder with and without profiled steel.

Without my usual profiled steel it was a disaster.

With the profiled steel I felt good, almost normal, very little time to adjust. The Marsblade helps keep the blade on the ice longer when going into/out of hard turns and such. That in combination with the proper profile for a players skating style should yield good result.

Overall, the Gen 1 holder was good, but heavy, and the structure of it was too delicate. If this Gen 2 holder corrected those issues then it might be something to consider.

@PBH The I2 is so much better in all aspects, completely different product in my eyes. We currently have about 10 NHL guys on them. Pretty much all NHL guys that has tried them has continued to use them and loves the feel and performance. //Per Mars, Inventor

On 10/4/2021 at 1:40 PM, CBnCO said:

Thoughts? 

@CBnCO Hi, 

Good thoughts. How the steel interacts with the ice is not largely effected with Flow Motion Technology. All guys that currently are on them I'd say use the same profile as they have with the regular holders. What FMT does is that it allows for the steel to stay on the ice longer for better glide and power transfer while you get better maneuverability for better agility. So regardless of profile, FMT will give you the best of both worlds. 

What a lot of guys do feel is that they can go for a more shallow hollow since the steel stays on the ice longer. This is very positive of course since a more shallow hollow will give you better glide and endurance. 

So you do need to profile the steels, but no worries on needing to experiment a lot, just use the same profile and it will work awesome. //Per Mars, Inventor

12 hours ago, Marsblade said:

@PBH The I2 is so much better in all aspects, completely different product in my eyes. We currently have about 10 NHL guys on them. Pretty much all NHL guys that has tried them has continued to use them and loves the feel and performance. //Per Mars, Inventor

You should partner with Flare to offer their steel in addition to the holder. That would be a deadly combination.

On 9/8/2021 at 12:03 AM, Sprungdownunder said:

Reminds me of the Easton CXN holders,do you know if they will be available in black?

Actually looks like the step holder to me

I received my marsblade holders yesterday yet to skate on them but it seems that they operate a little differently then the first generation holders.

The first gen had a torsion leaf to act as a spring where as the I2 doesn't have any spring effect & to my knowledge seems to be in the rocker effect position by default?

Maybe someone or Per can chime in on this  but the only way I can get movement out of the heel is by pulling the blade down  with my hands so when you stand in them they are in the  compressed stage of the flex with no spring effect to drop them back down , this is with the most rocker setting.

8 hours ago, Sprungdownunder said:

I received my marsblade holders yesterday yet to skate on them but it seems that they operate a little differently then the first generation holders.

The first gen had a torsion leaf to act as a spring where as the I2 doesn't have any spring effect & to my knowledge seems to be in the rocker effect position by default?

Maybe someone or Per can chime in on this  but the only way I can get movement out of the heel is by pulling the blade down  with my hands so when you stand in them they are in the  compressed stage of the flex with no spring effect to drop them back down , this is with the most rocker setting.

Yes, they operate differently. The spring is located in the front to create resistance when rocking back and pull the blade back into it's neutral position when lifting the skate up from the ice. You will need to mount the holder to the boot to get the full stiffness of the holder and see the system work properly when the blade / quick release mechanism is attached. Then you'll see that as you press down the heel you'll get the rocker.

The old holder was in carbon fiber and was really stiff without being mounted to the boot but had some challenges in it's design. By making it in plastic we could overcome all the challenges but then it needs the stiffness of the boot to be stiff enough. 

If you want to feel the rocker before the holder is mounted to the boot you'll need to release the blade from the quick release and then rock. 

Hope this explains it. //Per

54 minutes ago, Marsblade said:

Yes, they operate differently. The spring is located in the front to create resistance when rocking back and pull the blade back into it's neutral position when lifting the skate up from the ice. You will need to mount the holder to the boot to get the full stiffness of the holder and see the system work properly when the blade / quick release mechanism is attached. Then you'll see that as you press down the heel you'll get the rocker.

The old holder was in carbon fiber and was really stiff without being mounted to the boot but had some challenges in it's design. By making it in plastic we could overcome all the challenges but then it needs the stiffness of the boot to be stiff enough. 

If you want to feel the rocker before the holder is mounted to the boot you'll need to release the blade from the quick release and then rock. 

Hope this explains it. //Per

Thanks Per that explains it , I was thinking along the first edition holders mechanics.

Finally had a chance to skate on the I2’s. 
i notice the lighter weight holder right away.  I’m goin to experiment with different inserts. Does anyone know if the smaller rockers keep you positioned forward towards the toe more?  Marsblade manual says the smaller radius is more rock vs larger radius less rock.  
im 5ft 10in 215 lbs no equipment. 
i use a .75 hollow which I will continue to adjust with the new holder. 

11 hours ago, wattsup said:

i notice the lighter weight holder right away.  I’m goin to experiment with different inserts. Does anyone know if the smaller rockers keep you positioned forward towards the toe more?  Marsblade manual says the smaller radius is more rock vs larger radius less rock.  

The rocker movement is in the heel & the toe is fixed so I would assume that the inserts do not effect the pitch.

Try profiling the blade if you want a forward pitch.

On 11/27/2021 at 9:42 AM, wattsup said:

I'm curious if you have any other thoughts after skating on them more and/or experimenting with the different wedges? I got mine mounted a month ago, without custom profile, and started on the 14ft radius. I pretty much felt comfortable on that right away so haven't even taken the time to try any of the others. I still have a second pair of skates with step-steel blades and quad profile and I get the chance to go back and forth. I really do think the Marsblade runner gives a smoother and more stable sensation in turns and transitions, which matches the advertising and concept. That said, did they transform me immediately into a much better skater..not really. I'm a bit of a gear/tech nerd, so I'm absolutely happy with the purchase and the Marsblades are my go to skates for now. But, I'm not sure that for the $200 it's helping me dramatically (hmmm..maybe $200 toward a skating coach!). If Marsblade had OEM deals with Bauer, CCM, etc. and the Marsblades came on the skates new, based on my experience it would be a no-brainer to buy them.

As a side note, given they are not entirely fixed there is a loose sensation and sound when walking off the ice and when stoping a puck with your skate. But, as long as they hold up I'm happy.

Few things. After my first skate I actually had skating lessons with a coach.  And it was my first time ever doing so. He said my .75 hollow was way too shallow. He advised going to 9/16 and getting them profiled.  He also told me to add a toe cap inside the boot (haven’t tried yet). I played a game with the deeper hollow and profile and it was great.  I have the Apple Watch hockey tracker and reached 21.8 mph vs 17mph and felt awesome. When I walk off the ice it is quite loud however no issues. Next skate I will add the toe cap and experiment with the plastic inserts.