Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

Howies Skate Blade Case

Doesn't mention "hard shell" or any kind of reinforcement to make it rigid.  I'd guess it is not, but haven't seen it in person to confirm.  It also looks too narrow to work well with taller "towers" like the Shift, unless you overlap the towers.

I added some PE sheeting to my son's standard A&R blade pouch, originally to help make it easier to take the blades out, but as an added benefit it added rigidity to the pouch, and could now be used to store a second set of blades since the PE adds more separation options. 

Overall material/construction looks exactly like the one I got from Pro Stock Hockey a few years back. Only difference is the sleeves all face the same direction. I understand having them flipped so they don't scratch each other, but also seems like an easy way for the steel to fall out if you don't open it flat. 

There is no plastic inserts. When the case is empty, it's pliable. You can fit the True steel if you want, but you'd have to compromise the amount you carry or how you put it in. 

1631292677064-vi.jpg

Howdy,

After I posted here, I realized I could message Howies...  They say it has a rigid shell in the middle between the layers and that Shift steel fits if you overlap the towers.

I ordered one.  We'll see when it gets here.

Hopefully it replaces the 2x4 I cut a big slot into for steel that's currently in my bag... 🙂

Mark

Edited by marka

It looks decent, but I still think the MSH one is better. Though they appear out of stock.

I wonder if I should start making some. Looks easy enough. I'm in the process of making a custom hockey bag right now. 

• Like 2

Howdy,

I have the MSH one.  Its well made but I can't imagine it will fit Shift steel (struggled with CXN Mako stuff) and its not rigid.  With how easy it is to bend a loose runner, I definitely don't want them banging around in my bag without a rigid holder.

Mark

On 9/10/2021 at 3:38 PM, marka said:

Howdy,

I have the MSH one.  Its well made but I can't imagine it will fit Shift steel (struggled with CXN Mako stuff) and its not rigid.  With how easy it is to bend a loose runner, I definitely don't want them banging around in my bag without a rigid holder.

Mark

Probably too late to be of any value to you, but shift steel does fit in them. Originally Howies told me that one pair would fit, but you can fit two pair of you stagger them a little, and facing them edges out.. Working on a solution to make it more secure while doing this. It’s definitely not a nice as the MSH ones for sure, but will fit the steel. 

Howdy,

So I did get the Howies one.  Unlike what the Howies guy told me, its not actually rigid.  Sigh.

Shift steel does indeed fit though, so that's good.  I ended up deciding to 'stack' the runners in one slot to maximize the stiffness and minimize clinking.  We'll see how it works.

Mark

2 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

So I did get the Howies one.  Unlike what the Howies guy told me, its not actually rigid.  Sigh.

Shift steel does indeed fit though, so that's good.  I ended up deciding to 'stack' the runners in one slot to maximize the stiffness and minimize clinking.  We'll see how it works.

Mark

I would say they are semi-rigid. They are absolutely more robust than many of the other brands.