Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Beerleaguebumhockey

Carbonlite runners from Hyperlite

3 minutes ago, mhein22 said:

youre not reducing the weight youre legs are carrying around by 35% by swapping out half a runner with carbon fiber, what are you talking about? they carry your entire body.

and where are these aluminum runners?  they dont exist.  because aluminum would be a horrible material for a runner.  this is simple stuff bud.

you’re digging yourself into a hole by saying some pretty stupid/easily disproved things. Stop while you’re ahead 

Uh… if the carbon runner is 35% lighter than a standard steel runner then you’re absolutely carrying less weight. How is this even in question? The number of grams reduced is not the point; the point is unsprung weight. Reread my post, the auto example, and Google what that means since it doesn’t seem like you understand what I’m saying. 

I'm not a fabricator so I have no idea why aluminum isn’t used or if it has ever been tested/considered. From a manufacturing standpoint, aircraft grade aluminum used in planes and cars is traditionally more expensive than steel hence why it’s normally found on luxury cars and not your average toyota (source, I work in automotive and have a good friend who works in aerospace). My only point on aluminum is that it’s not necessarily flimsy as you claimed

37 minutes ago, mhein22 said:

noones talking about sticks. yes carbon fiber sticks are superior to wood. we know that.  we are talking about the runners.  try and stay on topic.

as far as runners go, no they dont "work".  new skates are outrageously light.  weakening your runner for a couple ounces is a horrible idea and will not do anything at all to improve your performance.  you will still be worse than anyone better than you.  its a gimmick.

Haven’t had the runners long enough to completely comment on the performance. Stick was a longer use example. However I’ve been impressed with their performance. Just not durability. If they can find a way, to make them more durable they are probably a performance upgrade. Every bit counts but to each their own 

23 minutes ago, Westside said:

Uh… if the carbon runner is 35% lighter than a standard steel runner then you’re absolutely carrying less weight. How is this even in question? The number of grams reduced is not the point; the point is unsprung weight. Reread my post, the auto example, and Google what that means since it doesn’t seem like you understand what I’m saying. 

I'm not a fabricator so I have no idea why aluminum isn’t used or if it has ever been tested/considered. From a manufacturing standpoint, aircraft grade aluminum used in planes and cars is traditionally more expensive than steel hence why it’s normally found on luxury cars and not your average toyota (source, I work in automotive and have a good friend who works in aerospace). My only point on aluminum is that it’s not necessarily flimsy as you claimed

the number of grams reduced is exactly the point.  you could put a 4 ounce weight on someone better than you, it wont matter even the little slightest amount.  this is not marathon backpacking bro.  its ice hockey.  it doesnt matter.  even a little bit.  show me any test, at all, showing this improved any performance for anyone, anywhere.  you dont have it.  because it doesnt exist.

3 hours ago, mhein22 said:

no because they would be weak as hell, fold over, and noone would get any benefit from them whatsoever.

Was a joke, but in all seriousness as I work in metal fab, im curious why it hasn’t been done. I’m sure aluminum could be done, 6061, anodized, and probably would be strong enough, I’m actually curious. There is stronger versions of it as well. But who knows I’ve never heard of it being used. Instead we got carbon 

1 minute ago, Beerleaguebumhockey said:

Haven’t had the runners long enough to completely comment on the performance. Stick was a longer use example. However I’ve been impressed with their performance. Just not durability. If they can find a way, to make them more durable they are probably a performance upgrade. Every bit counts but to each their own 

every bit does not count.  your personal bodyweight fluctuates far more week to week than those runners.  its absolutely a gimmick.  i am all for gear whoring and love gear.  but a couple grams here or there does not matter, at all.

when your legs are pushing you through a turn they are dealing with your entire bodyweight plus the g forces of your turn.  the skate blade is LITERALLY ON THE GROUND having no impact on your leg at all.  the only time that couple ounces has any affect is when you lift your leg UP, and thats the part of the stride that doesnt matter for anything!  the only time the weight of your blade would matter is when your foot is OFF the ice.  no skater gets tired from picking their skate blade up.  its the PUSHING and everything you do when your blade is sitting on the ice. thats what matters.

its a ridiculous concept from the get.  just meant to get a lower number on a chart so gear whores buy it.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Beerleaguebumhockey said:

Was a joke, but in all seriousness as I work in metal fab, im curious why it hasn’t been done. I’m sure aluminum could be done, 6061, anodized, and probably would be strong enough, I’m actually curious. There is stronger versions of it as well. But who knows I’ve never heard of it being used. Instead we got carbon 

did they ever make swords out of aluminum?  not like fencing foils.  actual swords meant to take a load and have an edge.

8 hours ago, Beerleaguebumhockey said:

Bauer tried aluminum first.  Look up Lightspeed Fusion runners.  They were a disaster.

54 minutes ago, start_today said:

Why do some people get SO MAD over other people worrying about weight? Like, if it’s not for you, then just smirk and and don’t buy it. 

everyone mad these days its the internet. 

oh no way, didnt realize Bauer tried aluminum. Im sure with some engineering it could be done but maybe not worth the RD. But whatever not my company and manufacture. In the end its great to see them trying new things, but I hope they improve their testing. The concept can be improved. Like the speed plate 2.0 Most people hated those but the 2.0 solved my foot pain issues. So again comes down to what works for you. 

For me, im a gear whore and just like to try things out. Give my feedback and move on. Its just fun. Maybe everyone forgets this game is for fun? LOL

Edited by Beerleaguebumhockey

1 hour ago, Beerleaguebumhockey said:

everyone mad these days its the internet. 

Not to sidetrack the thread too much, but society seems to have all but abandoned the idea of civil discourse.  If you think someone's opinion is dumb, listen to what they have to say, evaluate it, then either modify your own opinion or don't.  No need to tell them you think they're an idiot.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Monty22 said:

They should try replacing the carbon fiber with a lightweight metal. 

There is aluminum and titanium.

Aluminum would be cheaper but they would need to make it thicker to be as stiff as steel. Titanium would be way too expensive just to provide 1/3 the weight of steel. 

Bauer contacted me directly and said they were concerned and looking into it. The carbon breaking. Maybe they taking it seriously? Considering i crashed into the boards because of it it maybe at this point safety is important as well. so good on them. will anything change? who knows. but interesting they contacted me none the less. 

Edited by Beerleaguebumhockey

12 hours ago, mhein22 said:

the number of grams reduced is exactly the point.  you could put a 4 ounce weight on someone better than you, it wont matter even the little slightest amount.  this is not marathon backpacking bro.  its ice hockey.  it doesnt matter.  even a little bit.  show me any test, at all, showing this improved any performance for anyone, anywhere.  you dont have it.  because it doesnt exist.

I have zero interest in continuing any of this dialogue with you. You want to disagree for the sake of disagreeing. I don’t give a shit about saving a few grams here and there, but you’re either missing the point of what I’m saying or you don’t care and just want to argue. Regardless, I’m done replying to you on this topic. Enjoy your miserable, angry life 

• Like 1

What would be nice to know is the number of runners actually sold and in use and the total number of failures.  Without hard data is hard to tell what the true durability is.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mojo122 said:

What would be nice to know is the number of runners actually sold and in use and the total number of failures.  Without hard data is hard to tell what the true durability is.  

good point, the skates are not that old, so mine I purchased on launch day and just failed, my guess more will come out as time passes. Maybe its only a few? Maybe its only early production and they have improved its hard to say.

Im getting replacements just to see if it was a fluke under warranty. If it does it again will let everyone know and switch to steel for sure.  

1 hour ago, Westside said:

I have zero interest in continuing any of this dialogue with you. You want to disagree for the sake of disagreeing. I don’t give a shit about saving a few grams here and there, but you’re either missing the point of what I’m saying or you don’t care and just want to argue. Regardless, I’m done replying to you on this topic. Enjoy your miserable, angry life 

you have zero interest because it makes no sense.  all your effort is expended PUSHING with your legs.  the part where your blade SITS on the ice.  you guys are talking about an ounce or two on the foot thats not doing anything!  its madness!  the couple grams is below your hammies, they dont affect your skating.  when you are pushing you are pushing around all the weight thats balanced on that edge and all the leverage your torso has.  not the blade thats dangling 6" off the ice.

Just now, Beerleaguebumhockey said:

Youre welcome. if it prevents someone buying a 150$ pair that lasts a couple months worth sharing. 

300$ Canadian 😬

For those still clinging to the whole weight doesn't matter, check out boxing gloves. 

Boxing Gloves are measured by ounces rather than size so you can understand the weight and resistance they provide the boxer when training.
A lighter boxing glove (10oz) normally carries a smaller and lighter build, a heavier glove (16oz) normally provides a larger, bulkier build.
A 10oz boxing glove for example provides less fatigue on the boxer and less resistance when throwing a faster/harder punch in comparison to a 16oz boxing glove.
Whereas 16oz boxing gloves provide more weight, bulk, and resistance to the boxer which is why this weight is commonly used as a sparring glove.
With less weight, you may have a higher chance of injury, however, with a heavier boxing glove, you may find yourself fatiguing faster.

Time to put this one to bed. 

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

For those still clinging to the whole weight doesn't matter, check out boxing gloves. 

Yea, but theres a major difference here, its ounces vs grams...….grams being a much smaller measurement of weight.  All this "save a gram here or a gram there" shit just gets silly at some point with how little there is left to shave off the weight of the equipment.  Looks like we are about as light as we are gonna get with modern materials.  Want to shave weight, lose 5-10 lbs of body weight and you'll notice a bigger difference in your on ice energy levels.

Edited by noupf

1 hour ago, noupf said:

Yea, but theres a major difference here, its ounces vs grams...….grams being a much smaller measurement of weight.  All this "save a gram here or a gram there" shit just gets silly at some point with how little there is left to shave off the weight of the equipment.  Looks like we are about as light as we are gonna get with modern materials.  Want to shave weight, lose 5-10 lbs of body weight and you'll notice a bigger difference in your on ice energy levels.

not wrong, there is a massive difference when i play at 210 pounds vs 190 pounds depending on my current training. However, the idea here is to be in the best possible shape ( most beer league players are not ) than have the best possible gear for overall performance increases. 

4 hours ago, stick9 said:

thats an irrelevant example.  boxing gloves are hanging off the ends of your arms.  the glove has leverage.  you are talking about a 60% weight increase.  the punching motion is literally trying to throw that glove forward.

when you are skating, you have 200lbs extended out over 6 feet away from your skate that your one leg is trying to push.  often times that 200 lbs has inertia so theres even more pounds of force at work against your leg.  at least one skate blade is on the ground at all times.  so you are talking about 200 pounds your moving, plus whatever is added by inertia forces and the leverage over 6 feet, and youre talking about an ounce or two hanging 6" off the ice and you think that makes any difference at all to your skating or stamina.  it absolutely does not.

if we are talking about a stick, of course the lightness makes a difference!  its 5 feet long and often you are manipulating it with just your wrist or forearm.  theres so much leverage involved there that the lightness makes a difference.  but a skate blade is hanging under your foot.  it has no leverage.  its a fraction of a percent of weight decrease.

if you put that on a blind test, i guarantee the results would come back as no discernible difference in skating or stamina.  and you are wearing runners that cost you a bunch of money and snap on you and send you into the boards.  its not good.

1 hour ago, mhein22 said:

thats an irrelevant example.  boxing gloves are hanging off the ends of your arms.  the glove has leverage.  you are talking about a 60% weight increase.  the punching motion is literally trying to throw that glove forward.

when you are skating, you have 200lbs extended out over 6 feet away from your skate that your one leg is trying to push.  often times that 200 lbs has inertia so theres even more pounds of force at work against your leg.  at least one skate blade is on the ground at all times.  so you are talking about 200 pounds your moving, plus whatever is added by inertia forces and the leverage over 6 feet, and youre talking about an ounce or two hanging 6" off the ice and you think that makes any difference at all to your skating or stamina.  it absolutely does not.

if we are talking about a stick, of course the lightness makes a difference!  its 5 feet long and often you are manipulating it with just your wrist or forearm.  theres so much leverage involved there that the lightness makes a difference.  but a skate blade is hanging under your foot.  it has no leverage.  its a fraction of a percent of weight decrease.

if you put that on a blind test, i guarantee the results would come back as no discernible difference in skating or stamina.  and you are wearing runners that cost you a bunch of money and snap on you and send you into the boards.  its not good.

Nitpicking here, but one skate blade on the ice most of the time, not all of the time. The fastest skaters incorporate some jump between strides when they can. I think that's one major differentiator in acceleration performance.