Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Davideo

Post Thickness on Goals

My apologies if this isn't the right forum.

I'm setting up an outdoor rink and need to get a pair of goals. I know from my youth 20 years ago that ice hockey pucks just dented the posts on the metal goal I had at the time. It looks like 2 3/8" is the post thickness of legit ice goals. I see a small amount of conflicting info online about the suitability of 2" thick posts for on-ice use. Zdeno Chara is not going to be showing up, but there will be some skilled adults with shots probably hitting 70+ mph.

2 3/8" goals are more expensive and harder to locate. Is that necessary, or can I get away with 2"? Or I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks.

It really isn't about the width of the post, but more about the internal structure and thickness of the post/the quality of materials in making the post.  If you had a solid piece of steel (through the core), it could probably be 1"-2" wide and never dent, and conversely you can have a 4" wide post that's has thin walls that would dent easily from a street ball.  With that said, I have a 2-3/4" post width net, and I shoot regulation pucks at it and it only dents with a very square hit. (I can shoot hard, but not pro hard)  Cost about $180 from Hockey Shot.  Hockey Shot also makes a net for about $450 that they claim can withstand 100mph shots.  Another option is go to local rinks and see if they have any nets that are so beat up that they're willing to offload them.  However, in all likelihood that's rare and you'll probably have to put a new net on, which is pretty tricky with official ice goals.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

It really isn't about the width of the post, but more about the internal structure and thickness of the post/the quality of materials in making the post.  If you had a solid piece of steel (through the core), it could probably be 1"-2" wide and never dent, and conversely you can have a 4" wide post that's has thin walls that would dent easily from a street ball.  With that said, I have a 2-3/4" post width net, and I shoot regulation pucks at it and it only dents with a very square hit. (I can shoot hard, but not pro hard)  Cost about $180 from Hockey Shot.  Hockey Shot also makes a net for about $450 that they claim can withstand 100mph shots.  Another option is go to local rinks and see if they have any nets that are so beat up that they're willing to offload them.  However, in all likelihood that's rare and you'll probably have to put a new net on, which is pretty tricky with official ice goals.

Thank you, this is good info. I'm thinking total weight is probably a good gauge of dent strength. The Hockey Shot $180 weighs 45 lbs and the "indestructible" weighs 80 lbs. I may end up going with that $180 one. 

as stated, the thickness of the steel wall of the pipe is what's important, not the actual width or diameter.  Likely, the heavier the net/steel frame weighs, the thicker the steel they are using.....and that is what you want.

Keep you eye out on local classifieds, facebook, craigs, offer up. I bet there are peeps in your area looking to move one. 

Regulation goals are made from 12.5 gauge steel tubing. If you want something more durable use slightly thicker steel. Be aware that the cost for raw steel materials right now are outrageous so be prepared to pay a pretty penny.

On 10/7/2021 at 4:08 PM, SirJW said:

Keep you eye out on local classifieds, facebook, craigs, offer up. I bet there are peeps in your area looking to move one. 

Normally yes, but I live in the middle of nowhere.

• Like 1