Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Peter Pin

ROH starting point for quad profile

So, since most of the things I read here about quad profile are positive reviews, I decided I’ll give it a try.

i always liked my blades pretty sharpen like 1/2 or 7/16 ROH on stock (non profiled blade) or 9’ rocker more recently.

will try quad 0.5 (8-10-12-14) as this seems a good starting point.

280mm blades

185lbs player

My understanding is when you go quad, you should have something milder ROH because there is more blade in contact with ice.

how about 5/8?

5 hours ago, Peter Pin said:

So, since most of the things I read here about quad profile are positive reviews, I decided I’ll give it a try.

i always liked my blades pretty sharpen like 1/2 or 7/16 ROH on stock (non profiled blade) or 9’ rocker more recently.

will try quad 0.5 (8-10-12-14) as this seems a good starting point.

280mm blades

185lbs player

My understanding is when you go quad, you should have something milder ROH because there is more blade in contact with ice.

how about 5/8?

280mm blade.

Quad 0.5 at 3/4 weight 215

Came from a single profile 11' at 5/8.

I did try to go a little sharper from the 3/4 and spilt the difference between 3/4 and 5/8 with a 11/16 but I liked the glide of the 3/4 better so went back to it.

For you a 5/8 or 9/16.  More glide is a cool feeling so you might as well start with the 5/8.

Edited by Beflar
  • Like 1

Everything is about figuring out what works for you. So you don't necessarily have to change your hollow right away. Remember, you're changing variables in your set up right now. IMHO, the more variables you change at the same time, the trickier it'll be to figure out what's working for you, what isn't, and what you need to do to take yourself in the right direction. Maybe, you'll like even more bite. Maybe you won't. But if you make these changes all at the same time, how do you know what you're liking? Are you liking the shallower hollow or are you liking the new profile more? Maybe it's a combination of both. The flip side is true too, what don't you like, the new hollow, the new profile, or a combination of both.

When I was experimenting my way to what worked for me, I did lots of incremental changes, slowly working my way through various profiles and hollows. IMHO, there isn't a correlation between weight and what hollow one should use. I've been 180lbs and use hollows between 3/8 and 1". I'm 162 right now, and I'm looking to maybe get something even flatter. What works is what works. 

I would recommend something between 5/8 and 3/4. But it's a little bit of try and error. With a flatter profile like the quad 0.5 you won't be able to make a turn or stop if if your hollow is too deep. Maybe 11/16 for the beginning? 

Edited by hockeydad3
  • Like 1

I'm 6'4 230 lbs and I have the ellipse 1 on my 288 blades and am very happy with them for the most part.  On my regularly profiled blades that came stock on my grafs, I always did the "regular" 1/2" at my local rinks pro shop.  A couple of months before my blade broke, i dropped down to 5/8" on my regular profile blades and I liked it.  Had plenty of edge and better glide.   Skated on that ROH for a few months and then my blade snapped.  I just grabbed some new step steel and had the elipse 1 profile put on them.  The skate shop that supplied my blades and profile said to stick with the ROH i was using just to remain comfortable, but i definitely feel like I can drop down to 11/16 or 3/4 at this point.   I think I am going to go to 3/4 on my next sharpening to see how it feels.

• Like 1

Know this is a thread about Quad profiles and ROH used with...my Canadian $.02 aligns with those stating "use what works for you, but, definitely experiment" Having tried many many profiles and ROH to find what works for me...I have ended up with a Zuperior S with a FBV 70/50 (1 3/4") ROH..

255mm blade 185lbs 5'9" with dubious beer league skills.

I am very lucky to be able to access and experiment with the almost infinite combinations available and I encourage those with open minds to be open to try a new ROH or profile, with a good consultation from your local expert or one from this forum...can only lead to more efficient stating etc...

Keep this thread alive to help all those looking for a better "edge" 

• Like 1

Experiment is probably the key word here. But since most of the people that converted to quad profile ended with something shallower vs their previous profile, it’s why I thought going a tad shallower vs my usual 1/2 would not be too overkill. 

But I agree. to not make too many changes at once makes sense. And will ease identifying what I like and don’t about the quad. 

do you all agree that the quad 0.5 is the best starting point to enter the « quad world »? 

I sent the blade by mail to a shop that does quad since it’s 5hours drives round trip from me. They should receive the blades later this week. It’s not too late to change my mind. It’s the closest shop to Quebec City that does quad (located in Montreal area). So if I want to change profile later it quiet challenging. 

still thinking about asking them quad 1 as I prefer agility/grip over glide. Since quad 0.5 is flatter, I hope It won’t upset my expectations.

41 minutes ago, Peter Pin said:

Experiment is probably the key word here. But since most of the people that converted to quad profile ended with something shallower vs their previous profile, it’s why I thought going a tad shallower vs my usual 1/2 would not be too overkill. 

But I agree. to not make too many changes at once makes sense. And will ease identifying what I like and don’t about the quad. 

do you all agree that the quad 0.5 is the best starting point to enter the « quad world »? 

I sent the blade by mail to a shop that does quad since it’s 5hours drives round trip from me. They should receive the blades later this week. It’s not too late to change my mind. It’s the closest shop to Quebec City that does quad (located in Montreal area). So if I want to change profile later it quiet challenging. 

still thinking about asking them quad 1 as I prefer agility/grip over glide. Since quad 0.5 is flatter, I hope It won’t upset my expectations.

Here is a quote from PBH

"I'll throw my hat in the ring here as someone who does a ton of profiles and also tests them. Owning a full-service hockey shop gives me the ability to have access to try all different combinations of skates, steel, and profiles. Yes, I am lucky, but this also comes with negatives as well considering I change configurations so often I sometimes physically hurt myself s and it most certainly does take its toll on my skating as well by changing equipment so often. Such is life.....

BTW, when I say I hurt myself testing, I am dead serious. I hurt my back not too long ago, slipped a disc. I was testing an unreleased pair of skates with a very aggressive Quad 0 profile that was applied, it still had the full pitch in it and my back just couldn't handle the strain exerted with being so far forward. My back and core were constantly engaged fighting against the extremely stiff skate and the pitch of the profile and something had to give... Something did. My back. 

Anyway.

Quad 0.5 is a great overall profile and as mentioned, what I typically like to start players on if they are coming from steel that has not been profiled previously. It's also very good for new adult players, as the pitch is something they are not yet accustomed to and can throw off their skating. For the young kids, I prefer to put them on a single longer profile until they develop advanced edge control. This allows them to focus on skating and not worrying about balance as much.

Quad 2 would be my second go-to. The Quad 0/1 removes a very large amount of steel and also add quite a bit of pitch. Once you blend the toe properly many people feel too far forward and they get short choppy strides due to balance issues and such.

There are so many factors I think we can all agree that its truly impossible to say what is the best method and what to use for each player without seeing. Not to mention that some skates have a built-in forward pitch, like TRUE, and many other skates are very neutral. For example, skating on a Quad 0 using the "Pro Sharp recommendation) on my TRUE skates makes me feel unbalanced. When I do Quad 0/1 I tend to remove most of the pitch from the profile to preserve steel and also lessen the forward pitch. I can always add more pitch later but I cannot add steel back once it's been removed. "

1 hour ago, Peter Pin said:

IMHO, the first thing to think about is what do you want out of the change in profile? That's why it's important to do a little homework and understand what certain changes will do. I always say this, but there's no free lunch here. You're always going to be trading off a bit of this for more of that. But depending on what your game/skill/preferences are, certain trade-offs will be worth it to you. For me, I use a very flat profile, because I find I have agility to spare, and I'm exchanging some of that for more stability and glide.But because this trade off allowed me to make significant strides in improving my skating, the overall impact on my agility as time has gone on has become less, but it's still there.

IMHO, If you're just throwing a Hail-Mary just to see what it'll do, one starting point is as good as the next, because either it's a touchdown or you'll need to tweak and try again. And though Hail-Marys do work on occasion, it's not exactly a high percentage play.

3 hours ago, Beflar said:

Here is a quote from PBH

"I'll throw my hat in the ring here as someone who does a ton of profiles and also tests them. Owning a full-service hockey shop gives me the ability to have access to try all different combinations of skates, steel, and profiles. Yes, I am lucky, but this also comes with negatives as well considering I change configurations so often I sometimes physically hurt myself s and it most certainly does take its toll on my skating as well by changing equipment so often. Such is life.....

BTW, when I say I hurt myself testing, I am dead serious. I hurt my back not too long ago, slipped a disc. I was testing an unreleased pair of skates with a very aggressive Quad 0 profile that was applied, it still had the full pitch in it and my back just couldn't handle the strain exerted with being so far forward. My back and core were constantly engaged fighting against the extremely stiff skate and the pitch of the profile and something had to give... Something did. My back. 

Anyway.

Quad 0.5 is a great overall profile and as mentioned, what I typically like to start players on if they are coming from steel that has not been profiled previously. It's also very good for new adult players, as the pitch is something they are not yet accustomed to and can throw off their skating. For the young kids, I prefer to put them on a single longer profile until they develop advanced edge control. This allows them to focus on skating and not worrying about balance as much.

Quad 2 would be my second go-to. The Quad 0/1 removes a very large amount of steel and also add quite a bit of pitch. Once you blend the toe properly many people feel too far forward and they get short choppy strides due to balance issues and such.

There are so many factors I think we can all agree that its truly impossible to say what is the best method and what to use for each player without seeing. Not to mention that some skates have a built-in forward pitch, like TRUE, and many other skates are very neutral. For example, skating on a Quad 0 using the "Pro Sharp recommendation) on my TRUE skates makes me feel unbalanced. When I do Quad 0/1 I tend to remove most of the pitch from the profile to preserve steel and also lessen the forward pitch. I can always add more pitch later but I cannot add steel back once it's been removed. "

yeah thanks. I did read that previously. Which seem to make sense.

3 hours ago, puckpilot said:

IMHO, the first thing to think about is what do you want out of the change in profile? That's why it's important to do a little homework and understand what certain changes will do. I always say this, but there's no free lunch here. You're always going to be trading off a bit of this for more of that. But depending on what your game/skill/preferences are, certain trade-offs will be worth it to you. For me, I use a very flat profile, because I find I have agility to spare, and I'm exchanging some of that for more stability and glide.But because this trade off allowed me to make significant strides in improving my skating, the overall impact on my agility as time has gone on has become less, but it's still there.

IMHO, If you're just throwing a Hail-Mary just to see what it'll do, one starting point is as good as the next, because either it's a touchdown or you'll need to tweak and try again. And though Hail-Marys do work on occasion, it's not exactly a high percentage play.

thanks for your input. I'm fully aware that tweaking is going to be required not matter what. 

not looking for hail-mary. But maybe a 20 yards pass from my own 35yard line. Thats the reason I want to know which profile is less toward the "extreme" but more  moderate/ in between...

I think the full QUAD profile that jumps by threes between zones might take more to get use too.  The QUAD 0.5, which jumps by twos' between the zones, will take you about ten minutes to get use too.

Edited by Beflar

4 minutes ago, Beflar said:

I think the full QUAD profile that jumps by threes between zones might take more to get use too.  The QUAD 0.5, which jumps by twos' between the zones, will take you about ten minutes to get use too.

music to my ears.

• Like 1

Just a quick update.

Got a chance to try the Quad 0.5 5/8 ROH for first time today. Injured myself (ripped groin) about 5 weeks ago so it was my first skate (free hockey session at local rink).

WOW quad 0.5 is awesome. Took 5 minutes to get used to it. Way better than 9' rocker. 

It just feels more natural. The overall glide was better. Plenty of grip without feeling the blade enters too deeply in the ice (9' felt like it digs too far). The balance is better as well. There is more steel on heel which helps. Easier to pivot from front to backwards.  Mobility is similar to 9'. Well maybe it was a tad easier to do quick turns with 9'. Will need to do more sessions on quad to compare.

Very happy overall. Now I feel I can skate decently 🙂

the fact that the shop removed some steel to do the quad also helped I think since I felt less "in the air". Lower center of gravity maybe.

One thing to notice. The ice where I played is known to be "softer" than average. And the one where I play in my beer league each Friday is know to be harder than average.  Maybe it will feel different friday. We shall see.

I didn't feel the 5/8 was too sharpened. It felt perfect and I'm not considering going shallower for the moment.

Edited by Peter Pin
  • Thanks 1

On 11/2/2021 at 6:05 PM, Peter Pin said:

Just a quick update.

Got a chance to try the Quad 0.5 5/8 ROH for first time today. Injured myself (ripped groin) about 5 weeks ago so it was my first skate (free hockey session at local rink).

WOW quad 0.5 is awesome. Took 5 minutes to get used to it. Way better than 9' rocker. 

It just feels more natural. The overall glide was better. Plenty of grip without feeling the blade enters too deeply in the ice (9' felt like it digs too far). The balance is better as well. There is more steel on heel which helps. Easier to pivot from front to backwards.  Mobility is similar to 9'. Well maybe it was a tad easier to do quick turns with 9'. Will need to do more sessions on quad to compare.

Very happy overall. Now I feel I can skate decently 🙂

the fact that the shop removed some steel to do the quad also helped I think since I felt less "in the air". Lower center of gravity maybe.

One thing to notice. The ice where I played is known to be "softer" than average. And the one where I play in my beer league each Friday is know to be harder than average.  Maybe it will feel different friday. We shall see.

I didn't feel the 5/8 was too sharpened. It felt perfect and I'm not considering going shallower for the moment.

Two other things you are going to notice.  Crossovers will feel way stronger.  I find I can actually  use my crossovers to accelerate as apposed to just turning.  Also you are going to last a lot longer on the ice before you need to take a break.  That comes from the increased glide.  In fact once you reach top speed you can actually stop pumping your legs and just glide with your head up cause your not losing speed as much vs a single 9' profile.

The Quad 0.5 is a total game changer.  Makes the game easier.  

Edited by Beflar
  • Like 1

Yeah with the injury I didnt push too hard on crossovers but can't wait to try it more thoroughly.

No doubt Quad 0.5 is going to be a game changer. To be able to skate with full trust and confidence is so important in this game.

• Like 1