Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Steve_v3

Eyelets causing ankle bone pain

On my left foot my skate eyelets dig into my ankle bone on the inside. My tongue doesn't reach to where the eyelets rub. I've been using a silicone pad and it's helped. But lately it moves while I'm skating. 

Would a wider tongue solve the problem? I've seen replacement tongues online that are definitely wider. Or would there be an easier solution?

IMG_7217.jpg

IMG_7218.jpg

Can't be sure from this angle, but from the looks of it and from you stating the tongue isn't wide enough, it kind of looks like your skates don't have enough volume. Do you pass the pencil test? If not, there's your problem.

Had/have the same problem. Sort of fixed it by getting into MX3's, new lacing system gave sufficient space but eventually wasnt enough and had to give it a small punch.

I believe most new vapors by bauer solve this problem. Customs is another route but there is no answer to fixing it in your skate short of some custom work the will give some reprieve possibly... but for how long? And how much$?

It does look as if you are tight on volume but it is easy to pass the pencil test and not have enough volume still as this inner ankle issue doesnt always affect volume.

Just my thoughts....

4 hours ago, puckpilot said:

Can't be sure from this angle, but from the looks of it and from you stating the tongue isn't wide enough, it kind of looks like your skates don't have enough volume. Do you pass the pencil test? If not, there's your problem.

I'm definitely tight on volume. I didn't have the problem for the first year I had them. I'm not in a position for new skates. So hoping to solve the issue some other way. I've seen a custom mod where they move the top three eyelets towards the middle of the skate.

2 hours ago, Steve_v3 said:

I'm definitely tight on volume. I didn't have the problem for the first year I had them. I'm not in a position for new skates. So hoping to solve the issue some other way. I've seen a custom mod where they move the top three eyelets towards the middle of the skate.

If what you're talking about is what I'm thinking of, that'll only help if you're getting lace bite, but not so sure it'll do anything if the eyelets are rubbing against your foot. Because the old eyelets are still there. Here's something I've used to solve similar issues in the past. I went to the dollar store and got a pair of felt insoles. I cut them up into felt patches a little larger than the size of my ankle. I then used sock tape to attach them to my foot.before slipping on my skates. I found I needed to use a taping pattern similar to the yellow straps in the picture below to secure the felt patches in place else they tended to move when I skated. Also when the patches aged, I found I needed to double up on them. I found they work better than the gel pads because they're thicker and are more firm, and when taped in place right, they wouldn't move. 

il_300x300.1627362839_s00g.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve_v3 said:

I didn't have the problem for the first year I had them.

This is the indicator. Looking at your tongue, does it tend to twist to the outside as you skate? If so this is because your foot is rolling in the boot and over the year the boot is breaking down (opening up) and now the foot is making contact with the eyelets.

Replacing your boots is really the only long term solution but for a low cost fix try one of these:- stitch the loop half of a velcro patch to your sock, glue and or stitch the hook part of the velcro to the back of a gel pad. Now the gel pad wont move. Or, using medical tape, tape the gel pad to your foot (this is the quickest and easiest). Or buy eezyfit ankle booties. Or buy bunga lace bite booties like these and slightly rotate them on your foot - 

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.BP8AwaRKRLp979_xjGzjOQAAAA%26pid%3DApi&f=1

• Like 1

@Steve_v3, do you have a cobbler you've had repair shoes for you? I imagine taking it to them, they could stitch some supplementary wings onto your tongues where they're needed. I imagine it wouldn't cost nearly as much as other options.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

@Steve_v3 You literally had me at your disposal a week and a half ago...you watched me grill burgers and punch @stick9's skate at the same time...LOL 

I know I should of mentioned it. 

6 hours ago, flip12 said:

@Steve_v3, do you have a cobbler you've had repair shoes for you? I imagine taking it to them, they could stitch some supplementary wings onto your tongues where they're needed. I imagine it wouldn't cost nearly as much as other options.

That’s a good idea. 

Just pick up some of those thin neoprene hand pads that gym rats use and slip one (or a piece of one) in between your ankle and the skate. Any sweat will be enough moisture to hold them in place. If they still shift (unlikely, but possible), just glue a smaller piece over that eyelet and punch a hole in it for the laces. (In fact, if you want to PM a mailing address, I'll save you the $10 and just throw one in the mail for you. I have an endless supply of them that I cut from an 8' x 4' floor mat that came with a piece of home gym equipment that I don't use for anything except this exact purpose.)

Edited by YesLanges
  • Like 1

I have the same problem and these have worked well. I cut mine in half to get a wristband size but it slips so I'm going to try the full size again to see if it's better. You mentioned wearing a silicon pad but I'm not sure if it's the same as this.

718Zjss+mKS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0931Z6G9M

Edited by calixguy18
  • Like 2

On 10/25/2021 at 7:16 PM, calixguy18 said:

I have the same problem and these have worked well. I cut mine in half to get a wristband size but it slips so I'm going to try the full size again to see if it's better. You mentioned wearing a silicon pad but I'm not sure if it's the same as this.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0931Z6G9M

I bought a similar product and cut off a 3 inch portion. It worked great. Thanks for the suggestion.