Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JAY4114

Blade with most hook

In least to most, what are the blades with the most “hook” out of the p88, p92, p28 and p90tm? I feel like the p92 is straighter than the p88 and the p28 has the most, but I have no experience with the p90tm. I want to see what other people think though. 

In terms "hook" the P90 falls between the p28 and p92.

Warriors W71 probably has the most "hook" of any pattern available at retail.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stick9 said:

In terms "hook" the P90 falls between the p28 and p92.

Warriors W71 probably has the most "hook" of any pattern available at retail.

What about the p88?

3 minutes ago, JAY4114 said:

What about the p88?

Cant really say. I have never used an 88.

Edited by stick9

21 minutes ago, JAY4114 said:

What about the p88?

P88 is a fairly mild mid-curve. It's a toss up between the P88 and P92 on which is milder - neither is a big hook. If a big curve is what you're after then you want a W71 Warrior, P77 Sherwood (Coffee), a P28 or a Pro Stock Kovalchuk (similar to a P28, but an even bigger hook). As stick9 said, the P90TM has more "hook" than a P92, but less than the P28. I think it's also a bit deeper than a P92, but haven't used the P90TM myself (I've only seen pictures and video). 

Edited by althoma1

5 hours ago, JAY4114 said:

In least to most, what are the blades with the most “hook” out of the p88, p92, p28 and p90tm? I feel like the p92 is straighter than the p88 and the p28 has the most, but I have no experience with the p90tm. I want to see what other people think though. 

What kind of shots are you taking most of the time?  Is your definition of hook the amount of curve at the toe or at the heel?

STX-BladePattern-2019-_2x.png

This chart shows the face type.

Bauer-Blade-Chart-2015_85edd5a3-644f-4dc

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRormHSwkqSWNQ-ZRKJHN7

6 hours ago, JAY4114 said:

How are you defining "hook"?  Is it just up in the toe?  Over the length of the blade? 

I think most blade charts have a depth measurement if you are looking for over the length of the blade.  1/2" is what I think the P88 and P92 are.  P88 is a constant curve from heel to toe and only slightly open.  P92 the curve "center" is moved closer to the toe (but still mid) and is open. 

If you are talking about toe hook/kink, then I don't think any blade chart specifies the depth of the hook.  But from looking, I'd say P88 and P92 have pretty much zero hook.  P90TM is basically a P92 with a toe hook added, but does not look to be as prominent as the P28 hook (maybe because the P28 is a flatter curve overall compared to the P92).  So for retail curves, I think the P28 has the most I've seen. 

• Like 1

@JAY4114 you buying a completely different stick every other month or so, or do you just like learning about sticks? I feel like  you pretty regularly make a new stick thread about “what is the best ________ for ________?” 
Im totally here for whatever and not judging, just curious. 

6 hours ago, krisdrum said:

How are you defining "hook"?  Is it just up in the toe?  Over the length of the blade? 

I think most blade charts have a depth measurement if you are looking for over the length of the blade.  1/2" is what I think the P88 and P92 are.  P88 is a constant curve from heel to toe and only slightly open.  P92 the curve "center" is moved closer to the toe (but still mid) and is open. 

If you are talking about toe hook/kink, then I don't think any blade chart specifies the depth of the hook.  But from looking, I'd say P88 and P92 have pretty much zero hook.  P90TM is basically a P92 with a toe hook added, but does not look to be as prominent as the P28 hook (maybe because the P28 is a flatter curve overall compared to the P92).  So for retail curves, I think the P28 has the most I've seen. 

I mean the overall length. Like ig it would be the most banana shaped

1 hour ago, start_today said:

@JAY4114 you buying a completely different stick every other month or so, or do you just like learning about sticks? I feel like  you pretty regularly make a new stick thread about “what is the best ________ for ________?” 
Im totally here for whatever and not judging, just curious. 

I’m just really in to learning tbh. Sorry if it’s annoying

On 10/22/2021 at 7:29 PM, JAY4114 said:

Not annoying at all! I'm a long time casual Beer Leaguer and enjoy learning as well, thanks for posting questions that many of us also are thinking about.

On 10/22/2021 at 10:29 PM, JAY4114 said:

What curve are you using now, and what don't you like about it?

Sometimes, it's not the curve, but the lie of the stick that causes problems with stick handling and shooting. Is the bottom of the blade flat on the ice or is more of the toe or heel on the ice when you pass and shoot?

On 10/25/2021 at 5:48 PM, caveman27 said:

What curve are you using now, and what don't you like about it?

Sometimes, it's not the curve, but the lie of the stick that causes problems with stick handling and shooting. Is the bottom of the blade flat on the ice or is more of the toe or heel on the ice when you pass and shoot?

Sorry for the late reply. I am using a p88 and I’m not sure what I don’t like about it. I kind of want to try something different. Not a big fan of the p92 at all but the p28 isn’t bad for me besides a weird out of the rink shot every now and then

1 hour ago, JAY4114 said:

Sorry for the late reply. I am using a p88 and I’m not sure what I don’t like about it. I kind of want to try something different. Not a big fan of the p92 at all but the p28 isn’t bad for me besides a weird out of the rink shot every now and then

Oh, well, if you want to try something different, look into a heel curve. 

https://www.prostockhockey.com/player-sticks/?&search_query=player-sticks&filter=Retail_Curve_Comparison_fq:"P02%2FW02%2FE5"&rows=20&start=0