Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jasongos

Help With CCM 100k Customs

Hi all,

My CCM 100k customs arrived 2 weeks ago, and I need help.  My previous skates were True customs with the VH step holder and a pro-sharp q0.5 profile.   I love my Trues, but they were getting banged up and I figured I'd check out the CCMs.

The CCM boot is generally comfortable, but I think the pitch of the boot/holder is holding me off-balance.  It feels like my weight is always on my heels, and I feel like I'm about to fall-over just tooling around the ice.  I figured this was a profile issue, so I had the q0.5 profile applied with an extra 0.5 forward pitch to see if it helped.  While it did help a little, I'm still not balanced. 

My questions:

1. Any of you know the default pitch of a True skate with VH holder in comparison with a CCM speedblade XS holder? 
  2. Am I better off putting more pitch on the blade or going with a heel lift? 
  3. If heel lift is the better route, how do I know how much?  I've seen previous threads that talked about 1.5mm and 3mm lifts, but how do I know which is right?

Any help is very much appreciated.  Having $1400 skates that I hate putting on my feet is frustrating. 😞

Thanks,
Jason

34 minutes ago, jasongos said:

Hi all,

My CCM 100k customs arrived 2 weeks ago, and I need help.  My previous skates were True customs with the VH step holder and a pro-sharp q0.5 profile.   I love my Trues, but they were getting banged up and I figured I'd check out the CCMs.

The CCM boot is generally comfortable, but I think the pitch of the boot/holder is holding me off-balance.  It feels like my weight is always on my heels, and I feel like I'm about to fall-over just tooling around the ice.  I figured this was a profile issue, so I had the q0.5 profile applied with an extra 0.5 forward pitch to see if it helped.  While it did help a little, I'm still not balanced. 

My questions:

1. Any of you know the default pitch of a True skate with VH holder in comparison with a CCM speedblade XS holder? 
  3. If heel lift is the better route, how do I know how much?  I've seen previous threads that talked about 1.5mm and 3mm lifts, but how do I know which is right?

Any help is very much appreciated.  Having $1400 skates that I hate putting on my feet is frustrating. 😞

Thanks,
Jason

You could either add a heel lift or adjust the pitch, its your choice. You will need to def either add more pitch or use a heel lift in order to get a similar feel. the amount of pitch you added just isn't enough for a boot that is basically made neutral out of the box as opposed to TRUE. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PBH said:

You could either add a heel lift or adjust the pitch, its your choice. You will need to def either add more pitch or use a heel lift in order to get a similar feel. the amount of pitch you added just isn't enough for a boot that is basically made neutral out of the box as opposed to TRUE. 

Agreed, but how much of a heel lift is right?  Any recommendations for a shop in the Seattle area that could do that work?  🙂   The only shop I trusted moved to Nevada.  lol

9 minutes ago, jasongos said:

Agreed, but how much of a heel lift is right?  Any recommendations for a shop in the Seattle area that could do that work?  🙂   The only shop I trusted moved to Nevada.  lol

Hey, dont me mad at me for moving away 😛 

I would use a 1mm heel lift. 

Ironic since I’m going in the opposite direction from CCM to True lol

Re the pitch - check this thread:

CCM is neutral, shift is +2 so I don’t think 1mm lift would do it, it’s at least 2mm if not 3

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jasongos said:

Hi all,

My questions:

Thanks,
Jason

When you say fall over, I'm assuming you mean fall backwards as opposed to falling over your toes? 

If the 0.5 forward pitch helped a little but not enough, and you have the same pro-sharp profile as your previous skates, I'm assuming a lot more pitch, like an extra 2.0 forward pitch, would work. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lfntn10 said:

Totally unrelated but how long did it take for you to get your customs?  And when did you order?

My feet were scanned on 7/31, and they arrived at the store on 9/29.

On 10/23/2021 at 12:11 PM, SolarWind said:

Ironic since I’m going in the opposite direction from CCM to True lol

Re the pitch - check this thread:

CCM is neutral, shift is +2 so I don’t think 1mm lift would do it, it’s at least 2mm if not 3

His steel is already pitched forward so adding that much of a lift is not needed. 

On 10/25/2021 at 6:40 AM, PBH said:

His steel is already pitched forward so adding that much of a lift is not needed. 

good point! I missed the fact that the runners might have already been profiled to forward pitch, so if they are already at +1 then 1mm heel lift would work.
all future runners will also need to be forward pitched.

On 10/26/2021 at 1:42 PM, SolarWind said:

good point! I missed the fact that the runners might have already been profiled to forward pitch, so if they are already at +1 then 1mm heel lift would work.
all future runners will also need to be forward pitched.

Do one or the other. What's the point of adding a heel lift if you need to have your runners pitched, get what I am saying?

Add the lift and have your steel put back to neutral and never worry about it again.

Edited by stick9
  • Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 1:52 PM, stick9 said:

Do one or the other. What's the point of adding a heel lift if you need to have your runners pitched, get what I am saying?

Add the lift and have your steel put back to neutral and never worry about it again.

I'm going with the heel lift, mostly because there isn't consistency when dealing with proshops.  For instance, some shops will ask me to exactly specify what pitch setting I want them to use on their pro-sharp.  Other shops offer aggressive, medium, mild, or neutral, but no specifics about what each setting means.  I figure neutral is always neutral, and I'll just control the pitch with the heel lift.

• Like 1