Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jgold47

VN helmet for coaching?

I’ve been coaching in an old HT2 because of the fit and look.  Recently we had a coach get his legs taken out from behind and fell pretty hard and cracked his head.  Thankfully he was wearing a decent helmet and seems to be ok.  

spooked me enough to decide to replace all my helmets (player and coach) with newer ones since all of mine are probably 7-10 years old.  

my question specifically for coaching is if I’m only really concerned about a similar scenario - falling and hitting my head and more specifically falling backwards, are VN helmets a good option compare to EPP?  

For the one time fluke fall as you’ve described, I’d say any helmet in decent shape should suffice as long as the fit is correct. 
mid you want a modern upgrade I’d check out the Tacks 210 and 310

For the situation you mentioned, any certified helmet is fine (I use a CCM 310). You should be equally concerned with elbow protection. I wear these G-Form elbows made with D30 or similar. They are actually for downhill mountainbiking, but are lightweight and you don't even know they're there:   G-Form Elbow Pads G-Form Elbow Guards | G-Form

On 10/23/2021 at 8:18 PM, jgold47 said:

I’ve been coaching in an old HT2 because of the fit and look.  Recently we had a coach get his legs taken out from behind and fell pretty hard and cracked his head.  Thankfully he was wearing a decent helmet and seems to be ok.  

spooked me enough to decide to replace all my helmets (player and coach) with newer ones since all of mine are probably 7-10 years old.  

my question specifically for coaching is if I’m only really concerned about a similar scenario - falling and hitting my head and more specifically falling backwards, are VN helmets a good option compare to EPP?  

Either is okay, as they are both tested.

My last fall where I hit the ice, my helmet had EPP foam, CCM Fitlite. I hit the back of my helmet pretty hard and didn't play the rest of a game. The helmet has a dial thing to adjust the fit. I like it as I can adjust the fit depending on how long my hair is.