Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Amazinmets73

Shot blockers

I didn’t find any. The only thing I found that was helpful was to take blue painters tape, apply to area of skate that you want covered and trace it. Lift the tape off and put it on some cardboard and then cut it out. That becomes your template. Trace the template onto the kydex and use the rotary tool to make the initial cut.  Use a sanding bit to smooth out the edges then bake in the toaster oven 250F for about 4-5 mins. Take it out right away and shape it to the area on the skate you are covering. Should be obvious but wear heat resistant gloves.  I just used a pair I use for cooking they were fine. Double check the edges to see if they are smooth enough to your liking and then use double sided tape to affix. Good to go and you saved some dough!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm a big fan of skate fenders. Used by a lot of NHL teams. I've been using them for a while. You can find them on sidelineswap used sometimes, or you can buy through the site directly. 

On 10/24/2021 at 3:16 PM, OldCY said:

I didn’t find any. The only thing I found that was helpful was to take blue painters tape, apply to area of skate that you want covered and trace it. Lift the tape off and put it on some cardboard and then cut it out. That becomes your template. Trace the template onto the kydex and use the rotary tool to make the initial cut.  Use a sanding bit to smooth out the edges then bake in the toaster oven 250F for about 4-5 mins. Take it out right away and shape it to the area on the skate you are covering. Should be obvious but wear heat resistant gloves.  I just used a pair I use for cooking they were fine. Double check the edges to see if they are smooth enough to your liking and then use double sided tape to affix. Good to go and you saved some dough!

The problem with this is you can't remove the kydex if you want to sell the skates! 

Sure you can. I’ve removed it and taken off the tape residue.  I replaced my first set that was just standard kydex with a black carbon fiber pair.  Use a hair dryer to heat the leftover adhesive and it will come off. Do NOT use any solvent or alcohol pads, it will remove finish off the skate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/24/2021 at 7:30 PM, CRupp13 said:

I'm a big fan of skate fenders. Used by a lot of NHL teams. I've been using them for a while. You can find them on sidelineswap used sometimes, or you can buy through the site directly. 

Same. I've had them for 5(?) years and they've reduced my foot impact injuries from "frequent" to "never". The fenders aren't directly attached, so they don't affect the skate's flex characteristics, and I honestly never even notice they're on my feet. I also skate in Makos (M8s), so I definitely have felt OP's pain.

+1 for Skate Fenders. After inadvertently blocking a slap shot with the outside of my foot, fracturing my 5th metatarsal I picked up a pair of Skate Fenders. They have been great for the last 4 years or so.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 8:02 PM, calixguy18 said:

Have you used these? Any idea how they compare to the skate fenders?

Yes, I use them.  I found that by molding them myself I was able to get a better fit than the skate fenders.  Protection is just as good.  I have had both.

• Like 2

On 11/5/2021 at 3:47 AM, OldCY said:

I used those before I made my kydex version. They are very good. 

On 11/5/2021 at 6:57 PM, dkmiller3356 said:

Yes, I use them.  I found that by molding them myself I was able to get a better fit than the skate fenders.  Protection is just as good.  I have had both.

Cool thanks. Just wanted to make sure they're good since they're so expensive.

Related note, I've been hit in the foot at least 4 times in the feet in the past month where I'd maybe get hit once per season in the past. Has everyone forgotten how to elevate the puck with all the time off lol? 

On 11/8/2021 at 4:48 PM, calixguy18 said:

Related note, I've been hit in the foot at least 4 times in the feet in the past month where I'd maybe get hit once per season in the past. Has everyone forgotten how to elevate the puck with all the time off lol? 

We got smarter...   High shots = easy saves and no rebounds 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 4:48 PM, calixguy18 said:

Cool thanks. Just wanted to make sure they're good since they're so expensive.

Maybe you’re just quicker and getting better at reading shooting/passing lanes?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, start_today said:

Maybe you’re just quicker and getting better at reading shooting/passing lanes?

We'll go with that lol. I did switch to True TF9 skates and am skating better a lot better than with my old skates.

I ordered the Nash skate blockers and will use them this weekend. Watch me not get hit again for months 😂

On 11/11/2021 at 10:24 AM, calixguy18 said:

We'll go with that lol. I did switch to True TF9 skates and am skating better a lot better than with my old skates.

I ordered the Nash skate blockers and will use them this weekend. Watch me not get hit again for months 😂

Hey.  If putting on blockers means you never get hit in the foot again, I'm all for it!

On 10/24/2021 at 3:16 PM, OldCY said:

Do you think you could make a tutorial on this, or share picture, I'm very interested in going this route.

On 9/13/2022 at 2:35 PM, cactusjack2323 said:

Do you think you could make a tutorial on this, or share picture, I'm very interested in going this route.

check your PM