Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Amazinmets73

Shot blockers

On 11/23/2021 at 2:40 PM, shoot_the_goalie said:

Hey.  If putting on blockers means you never get hit in the foot again, I'm all for it!

So interestingly, I ordered the shot blockers but never put them on and haven't been hit in the foot until last week. It was on the ankle and was because I stuck my foot out to block the shot. It wasn't the hardest shot but my ankle still hurts so I may put them on finally.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 4:38 AM, OldCY said:

check your PM

I would also love a tutorial for this. I don't know what kydex to get or where to buy. Also what 2-sided tape? Thanks!

I finally got around to doing this to my older AS3 skates...

Kydex: Amazon 2pack .080" thick 12"x12"

Cut out with a jig saw, sanded all edges.

Only used a heat gun.

Double sided 3M heavy duty tape after cleaning both surfaces.

Will skate in them tomorrow to see how I like they way they turned out.

00-HnHApQKaKe8hYSSffDKNalNpIP1ZN7OOd4IwQ

• Like 2

What about using something like double sided weatherstripping tape or something similar to give you some separation between the boot wall and the kydex to absorb some of the impact energy?

49 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

What about using something like double sided weatherstripping tape or something similar to give you some separation between the boot wall and the kydex to absorb some of the impact energy?

I imagine that would add some unwanted bulk. 

2 hours ago, Monty22 said:

@Monty22 Like this...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B3XJVSRD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cant say whether or not that specific adhesive would work on a skate. I'm sure there are similar products with a higher strength adhesive.

Edited by stick9

7 hours ago, OldCY said:

How was working with the jigsaw? I’m sure it cuts much faster than rotary tool…

I used a fine tooth, scrolling, wood blade.  It cut much smoother when the saw was at full power than trying to baby it.

Sanded it with an orbital using 80grit.

I skated in them last night at just a skills & drills... So I didn't get to take any shots off of them.

The kydex and tape does add a hair extra weight but nothing that is noticeable while skating. 

The skates performed the same as before without the shot blockers, overall I'm very happy with it!

4 hours ago, stick9 said:

@Monty22 Like this...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B3XJVSRD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cant say whether or not that specific adhesive would work on a skate. I'm sure there are similar products with a higher strength adhesive.

That looks like the stuff he used.  His has the red backing so my guess is his was 3M automotive doublesided adhesive tape (or plain 3M doublesided heavy duty tape), it's flexible and can withstand cold temps.

14 hours ago, Monty22 said:

That 3M tape has like 1mm or so of foam, so that might already do that job well. 

10 hours ago, shooter27 said:

Nice work.  I’m curious what your total cost of materials was vs. what it would cost to buy something similar retail.

Kydex - $16

Used this tape (Scotch-Mount Extreme Double Sided Mounting Tape) $23 but only used $10 worth of it. (This is on a size 11 skate)

About $30 all in / $15 per skate since I did both the inside and outside. 

As far as comparing to ones you can buy, this is what I was trying to achieve... https://shotblockers.com/collections/frontpage/products/xt-pro-new?variant=39522491531329

...but with lower coverage on the boot since that's where I get drilled the most for whatever reason. (14 years of soccer growing up makes it instinct to try and kick save every shot you can, even when you know you shouldn't, HAHA) 

• Like 2

I just ordered the holstex sheets as I like the carbon fiber look. Too bad Amazon Canada doesn't have the kydex carbon fiber pattern or holstex. Ended up ordering from a Canadian site and shipping was almost as much as the item. Just under $50 for 12*48 holstex vs $23 shipped for kydex on Amazon. Oh well. Still way cheaper than getting it done at a shop. 

Btw, what bit should I use with my Dremel when cutting out the pattern. Just their general cutting wheel bit?

Holstex looks pretty damn good especially to match the carbon weaves on true skates

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cr6q_veujba/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

Edited by Sniper9

So I got around to making my templates and putting on one side to see how they look. Here's a pic on my cat pros. I just just the kydex as a practice set. My next ones will definitely be the cf weave holstex which will look much better and make it look seamless and not noticeable at all. 

It actually took me longer than I thought. Cutting the kydex with my Dremel was quite messy with the plastic dust.  In the future I may heat up the kydex and cut it with an olds which seemed to have worked quite well and like a hot knife in butter when I was doing some minor adjustments after the initial cut. 

I weighed the pieces and it adds about 60 grams per skate.  Well see if I notice it skating. 

I used a heat gun and not the oven as I knew I wasn't going to be able to mold it in one shot bc of all the curves and the fact the kydex cools and gets stuff pretty fast. Was a bit tedious spot heat gunning and forming but oh well. I'll finish the other side and other skate tomorrow. 

eQC9YRO.jpeg