Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
clarkiestooth

"Sticky" True Sticks??

Okay, this one is a bit odd. I store my sticks in the garage, and in the summer it gets quite hot (probably 100 degrees F). I've got about a dozen sticks, mostly CCM, a couple Bauer, and two True (A6.0 SBP, A5.2 SBP).  For some reason , the 2 Trues have become incredibly sticky.  I'm talking "if I hold my hand out with the palm facing down and open my hand, the stick stays stuck to my palm"  sticky. They are unusable.  All other brand sticks are perfectly fine. Anyone else experience this with True, and how to fix? I tried soap and water, did nothing.

Howdy,

No fix, but I've had the exact same thing happen.  Stored in the garage as well, but I would say temps rarely get higher than 90 deg even in the heat of summer.

Its only happened to sticks that are 2+ years old.

Interested if there's a fix for it.  I'm guessing that the grip coating just needs to be removed.

Mark

• Like 1

Use a scotchbrite pad to sand off some of the grip material. My cousin did this to remove the grip entirely from his sticks (he preferred non grip sticks)

I’m not sure how to find it, but someone else posted something similar about True sticks a year or two ago. I don’t think there was any unique solution beyond removing the grip as a whole, but you’re not alone. 

On 10/24/2021 at 9:59 AM, clarkiestooth said:

Okay, this one is a bit odd. I store my sticks in the garage, and in the summer it gets quite hot (probably 100 degrees F). I've got about a dozen sticks, mostly CCM, a couple Bauer, and two True (A6.0 SBP, A5.2 SBP).  For some reason , the 2 Trues have become incredibly sticky.  I'm talking "if I hold my hand out with the palm facing down and open my hand, the stick stays stuck to my palm"  sticky. They are unusable.  All other brand sticks are perfectly fine. Anyone else experience this with True, and how to fix? I tried soap and water, did nothing.

This exact thing happened to my two older True A6.0 sticks and I was just able to remove it last week. The grip layer has worn/faded away and the adhesive is coming to the surface. This happens with a lot of electronics and things that have the "soft touch" feel (headphones, mice, wine opener, etc.).

The way I was able to remove it was to use rubbing alcohol and a scotchbrite pad. I've also use an old sock on some more delicate electronics. The alcohol softens the adhesive and you basically scrape off the sticky stuff. Goo gone or similar will probably work also but you need something strong like a sock or a pad for the sticky stuff to cling to. I was trying with paper towels at first and it didn't do anything.

Edited by calixguy18

6 hours ago, start_today said:

I’m not sure how to find it, but someone else posted something similar about True sticks a year or two ago. I don’t think there was any unique solution beyond removing the grip as a whole, but you’re not alone. 

That was me. Ended up just tossing the sticks. 

My true sticks never lasted long enough for the grip to go sticky 😬. Mind you the grip on the true a series were one of my favorites in terms of perfect amount of tack and didn't slip when wet. 

I had this happen to the matte grip finish on some old BASE sticks. IIRC I used Krud Kutter with a small plastic brush to wash off the whole grip finish. I ended up with a non-grip finish because there was no way to keep the grip finish without stickiness. It didn't affect the graphics on the sticks.

81QtRNYsEOL._AC_SY606_.jpg

Edited by Larry54
  • Like 1

So I pulled out an unused A6.0 I got on sale a while back when total hockey was still a thing and I had this issue as well, along with my other 2.  So I took some goof off and an old sock turned inside out and the adhesive came right off.  Took me maybe a total of 10 min to do and I now a relatively gloss finished stick with no damage to the paint.  Thanks for the tip!