Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Lfntn10

Mounting a 254 holder in place of a 246

Hi all - I had to size down in my Hyperlites to a 5.5, but with that, the holder went down to a 246 (annoying since Fit 3 comes with a 254).  Would I be able to mount a 254 holder on these skates?  Just by eyeing it, it looks like the holes on the forefoot are going to overlap if I were to drill new ones.

I know putting oversized holders on skates is a thing, but I was wondering if it were possible here.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, Lfntn10 said:

Hi all - I had to size down in my Hyperlites to a 5.5, but with that, the holder went down to a 246 (annoying since Fit 3 comes with a 254).  Would I be able to mount a 254 holder on these skates?  Just by eyeing it, it looks like the holes on the forefoot are going to overlap if I were to drill new ones.

I know putting oversized holders on skates is a thing, but I was wondering if it were possible here.

Thanks!

Yes, you can do it.

However you cannot use the existing front or rear holes, because then the holder would then not mounted in the center of the boot.

Make sense? 

11 hours ago, Lfntn10 said:

Thanks!

Why don't you want to skate on 246 mm length blade? The profile radius is probably the same giving you the same feel. 

3 hours ago, PBH said:

Yes, you can do it.

However you cannot use the existing front or rear holes, because then the holder would then not mounted in the center of the boot.

Make sense? 

So I guess it would be a matter of drilling in between the holes then?  And you would just fill the gap with epoxy?

1 hour ago, caveman27 said:

Why don't you want to skate on 246 mm length blade? The profile radius is probably the same giving you the same feel. 

I like the extra height that the 254 gives me (its taller than the 246), plus I have profiled Step Blacksteel for it as well that I definitely do not want to lose.

18 minutes ago, Lfntn10 said:

So I guess it would be a matter of drilling in between the holes then?  And you would just fill the gap with epoxy?

Yes and no.

The heel of the Hyperlite is a unique construction so you cannot fill those with epoxy. The forefoot uses standard carbon fibre. I would almost recommend building a very thin shim to sit between the heel of the holder and the outsole if you are going to drill new holes to mount the holder. 

Anytime people tell me they want oversized holder on top of the line skates I always ask them "why didn't you just go custom?" A custom skate would have given you the option for a +1 holder and then you wouldn't have to tweak the structure of the skate. 

16 minutes ago, PBH said:

Yes and no.

The heel of the Hyperlite is a unique construction so you cannot fill those with epoxy. The forefoot uses standard carbon fibre. I would almost recommend building a very thin shim to sit between the heel of the holder and the outsole if you are going to drill new holes to mount the holder. 

Anytime people tell me they want oversized holder on top of the line skates I always ask them "why didn't you just go custom?" A custom skate would have given you the option for a +1 holder and then you wouldn't have to tweak the structure of the skate. 

Ah damn it might not be worth it then.  I had thought about going customs but was always dissuaded by store clerks saying the turn around time could be into next year (like 10 weeks).  Do you have any sort of idea how long the turn around time usually is?

6 hours ago, Lfntn10 said:

Ah damn it might not be worth it then.  I had thought about going customs but was always dissuaded by store clerks saying the turn around time could be into next year (like 10 weeks).  Do you have any sort of idea how long the turn around time usually is?

Bauer is quoting 45 days.