Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jeffg

prostockhockeysticks

I recently received 2 custom sticks with the Laine curve, 77 flex, red line 375G, rounded square (ccm R), low kick, non grip gloss. I haven't picked up a top of the line stick in a while but the stick weight is feather light to me, it'll take some getting used to. I played 2 games and a 2 hour scrimmage with it and I was impressed. I'm coming from a p88 so the Laine curve is a huge difference but I didn't see a decrease in my puck handling and passing ability. The biggest difference which was positive was my shot. Between the low-kick and the Laine curve my shot greatly improved with accuracy and velocity, especially one timers. After a few adjustments in warmup on puck positioning on the blade when shooting I could really pick the corners whether it be high or low. The stick felt solid and the puck feel was like any other stick I've used from the big brands. I'm looking forward to playing with it again. 

I’ll follow up after more use but so far so good. 

Edited by moonrockticktock

On 2/19/2022 at 3:50 PM, bl4 said:

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a couple of these - the Ovie clone in the "redline" build and the Lidstrom clone. They just arrived and look and feel great. Will add notes once I have a chance to try them on the ice.

I tried out the new twigs at pick up.  At the outset, it's worth noting that I tried very different sticks - different flexes, patterns, and builds - so it's impossible to offer an apples to apples comparison.  Some thoughts:

Ovie Redline 85 Flex: this one felt great - super light and nice balance.  I've played with other Ovechkin clones before, and this one struck me as having a bit less mid/heel - i.e., starting the curve and huge flare a bit further up the blade.  The result was something that felt a little more like a juiced p28 than I would have preferred.  That said, I've never used a true Ovie pro stock, so it's certainly possible that this is a more accurate rendition.  And, the difference I noticed is miniscule anyway.  I'm kind of finnicky when it comes to puck feel, and I miss my two-piece setup and/or wood blades for puck handling.  But, I was really impressed with this one.  Shooting was great, too.  The wacky curve has it's pros and cons, so I'm pretty comfortable chalking any complaints up to user error, but the puck felt great coming off the blade, particularly on wrist and snap shots.

Nicklas Pro Model E 75 Flex: I've always loved the Lidstrom/Leetch/Getzlaf pattern.  This was a good rendition.  For my money, I think it was a tiny bit less open than some versions.  And, given that I also picked up an Ovie, it should be clear that I like open patterns and would have preferred a bit more of a twist.  But, still good, and felt very comfortable and familiar.  The same goes for the overall build, which reminded me of some old Easton shafts.  I kept switching between this and the Ovie, and this build definitely felt a bit clunkier, which is probably less an indictment of the stick than a reflection of how great the Redline build feels.  Puck feel was still good, as was shooting.  Lidstrom is my favorite pattern for slapshots, and even with the slightly lower flex, I felt like this one was very good.   

Overall, I was very pleased with both, although I think the Redline build was better.  The price point for these sticks is great, but the Redline felt more like a steal at this price, whereas the Pro Model E felt more like a good, but not great stick that I might have expected to find at this price point.  While I like the "Nicklas" pattern and the shaft dimensions of the Pro Model E, I probably wouldn't buy another Pro Model E build.  Instead, I'm thinking that I might shell out for some custom Redline builds, which is to say I came away impressed w/Prostockhockeysticks.com.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bl4 said:

Nicklas Pro Model E 75 Flex: I've always loved the Lidstrom/Leetch/Getzlaf pattern.  This was a good rendition.  For my money, I think it was a tiny bit less open than some versions.  And, given that I also picked up an Ovie, it should be clear that I like open patterns and would have preferred a bit more of a twist.  But, still good, and felt very comfortable and familiar.  The same goes for the overall build, which reminded me of some old Easton shafts.  I kept switching between this and the Ovie, and this build definitely felt a bit clunkier, which is probably less an indictment of the stick than a reflection of how great the Redline build feels.  Puck feel was still good, as was shooting.  Lidstrom is my favorite pattern for slapshots, and even with the slightly lower flex, I felt like this one was very good.   

Overall, I was very pleased with both, although I think the Redline build was better.  The price point for these sticks is great, but the Redline felt more like a steal at this price, whereas the Pro Model E felt more like a good, but not great stick that I might have expected to find at this price point.  While I like the "Nicklas" pattern and the shaft dimensions of the Pro Model E, I probably wouldn't buy another Pro Model E build.  Instead, I'm thinking that I might shell out for some custom Redline builds, which is to say I came away impressed w/Prostockhockeysticks.com.

You do realize the whole point of the Model E was to mimic the old Easton sticks and not one of the newer modern ones right?

41 minutes ago, Hills said:

You do realize the whole point of the Model E was to mimic the old Easton sticks and not one of the newer modern ones right?

Yes.

On 3/2/2022 at 11:42 AM, thorbs said:

Anyone used these sticks for a longer period of time that can speak to their durability?

Aside from the one I broke over a crossbar, the Model E build I have has been used every other game, which for me is twice a week, and it's holding up fine in an A league environment. Have had them for several months now.

• Like 3

On 3/2/2022 at 11:42 AM, thorbs said:

Anyone used these sticks for a longer period of time that can speak to their durability?

Got my first redline 375 (70f kane pro) in August, used it all season so far at least twice a week. Aside from chips to the finish it's in great shape. Playing mid-level beer league as a centerman, lots of faceoffs.

Like it enough I've bought a pack of them and stopped using the custom CCMs I was on.

• Like 1

Went from custom CCM Trigger 2's and ordered a single Redline 375g (P14/70 flex). It broke in the blade after ~4 months of playing 2-3 times a week, but honestly thought it would break sooner with how whacks it took. Balance and weight feels great, and shoots with a real nice kick. It took about a game or two to get used to it but after that, the Trigger 2's felt like relics, so I'm pretty happy with them. Placed an order for 5 sticks last week, pretty excited to get them. I've been using a 2S Pro while I wait, and it's okay, but I think the price:value ratio is much better with PSH so I think I'll be sticking to these for a while.

Edited by jbyun04
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 5:12 PM, jeffg said:

Any thoughts on the mid kick vs low kick? I see it’s an option when ordering 

Thoughts? Get what you usually use...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jeffg said:

I’m use to using a jetspeed

I have a mid/square and a low/rounded square and I'd definitely say the low kick feels closer to the FT2s I was using before. Nothing is going to be quite the same as the jetspeed regardless though.

On 2/23/2022 at 9:23 PM, moonrockticktock said:

I recently received 2 custom sticks with the Laine curve, 77 flex, red line 375G, rounded square (ccm R), low kick, non grip gloss. I haven't picked up a top of the line stick in a while but the stick weight is feather light to me, it'll take some getting used to. I played 2 games and a 2 hour scrimmage with it and I was impressed. I'm coming from a p88 so the Laine curve is a huge difference but I didn't see a decrease in my puck handling and passing ability. The biggest difference which was positive was my shot. Between the low-kick and the Laine curve my shot greatly improved with accuracy and velocity, especially one timers. After a few adjustments in warmup on puck positioning on the blade when shooting I could really pick the corners whether it be high or low. The stick felt solid and the puck feel was like any other stick I've used from the big brands. I'm looking forward to playing with it again. 

I’ll follow up after more use but so far so good. 

This is a follow up to my initial impression on the sticks I ordered. I really like the curve, but I’d say the stick wasn’t durable. It was my main stick for 3 months with weekly league games and some drop in sessions here and there. I found a major crack on the blade while re-taping my stick last week and I wasn’t  surprised considering over the last month and a half I felt the stick lost it’s feel significantly. The blade was starting to feel very soft and wasn’t responsive when stick handling. As much as I love the curve I won’t be buying again. When I played competitive hockey I was on the ice 4-5 times a week and I would use 2 sticks in a season, this one barely lasted 3 months playing recreationally. 

On 5/24/2022 at 12:51 PM, moonrockticktock said:

This is a follow up to my initial impression on the sticks I ordered. I really like the curve, but I’d say the stick wasn’t durable. It was my main stick for 3 months with weekly league games and some drop in sessions here and there. I found a major crack on the blade while re-taping my stick last week and I wasn’t  surprised considering over the last month and a half I felt the stick lost it’s feel significantly. The blade was starting to feel very soft and wasn’t responsive when stick handling. As much as I love the curve I won’t be buying again. When I played competitive hockey I was on the ice 4-5 times a week and I would use 2 sticks in a season, this one barely lasted 3 months playing recreationally. 

Please tell me what stick lasted you a competitive hockey season for that long. 3 months for a top end stick for that much ice is extremely impressive. I can barely get a month out of most top end sticks as a rec hockey player. You using an aluminum easton? jk but seriously your expectations for a stick seem off. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Beerleaguebumhockey said:

Please tell me what stick lasted you a competitive hockey season for that long. 3 months for a top end stick for that much ice is extremely impressive. I can barely get a month out of most top end sticks as a rec hockey player. You using an aluminum easton? jk but seriously your expectations for a stick seem off. 

I have to agree with these comments. I get maybe 2 months out of top end sticks and I am on the ice 5 days weekly. 

3 hours ago, PBH said:

I have to agree with these comments. I get maybe 2 months out of top end sticks and I am on the ice 5 days weekly. 

Same usually about 4-6 ice times in winter high season and my top sticks like ft4 pros last 45 days or so usually right after warranty lol

On 6/3/2022 at 10:08 AM, Beerleaguebumhockey said:

You using an aluminum easton? jk but seriously your expectations for a stick seem off. 

I don't think so for a $300 stick. Face it, the sticks have stopped getting lighter so the only improvements left are retaining performance and durability.

45 days? And you're only on the ice 4-6 times a week? You have zero expectations I guess.

4 minutes ago, 218hockey said:

I don't think so for a $300 stick. Face it, the sticks have stopped getting lighter so the only improvements left are retaining performance and durability.

45 days? And you're only on the ice 4-6 times a week? You have zero expectations I guess.

all the top sticks, lxpro, ft4 pro, with that many ice times do not last. I can see a top stick lasting someone thats on the ice 1-2 times a week a few months for sure, but not someone taking a lot of shots and on the ice that much. 

the top sticks are just not made for longevity, only performance. Soon as you drop to a mid price point durability improves. The pro stock stick, although not my gamer, is an excellent deal at its price point and performance, and to last as long as you said it did is unreal. 

Edited by Beerleaguebumhockey

I never commented on any specific stick.

I just said manufacturers have nowhere left to go besides making the 400g stick perform longer. That would be the real improvement. Everything else is just a lie.

Unless we are offered a $500, 250g stick that will last one game? I know that's what I'm looking for.

On 6/3/2022 at 10:08 PM, Beerleaguebumhockey said:

I guess you’re correct but maybe it’s different now. Back in the day I used to get a pair of sticks at the beginning of each season and that would last me pretty much the whole season. Some sticks I had were the Bauer x60, one95, Easton s17, se16, Rs2 and the mako. 

Edit: now that I think about it since I had 2 sticks per season each season was approximately 6 months, each stick would last about half a season meaning 3 months so I guess it’s in the ballpark of what you’d say is impressive. 

14 hours ago, moonrockticktock said:

I guess you’re correct but maybe it’s different now. Back in the day I used to get a pair of sticks at the beginning of each season and that would last me pretty much the whole season. Some sticks I had were the Bauer x60, one95, Easton s17, se16, Rs2 and the mako. 

Edit: now that I think about it since I had 2 sticks per season each season was approximately 6 months, each stick would last about half a season meaning 3 months so I guess it’s in the ballpark of what you’d say is impressive. 

One95 and x60 were durable sticks. The s17 heck no broke those within games. 

I recently tested a stick ( the 1n ) which I remembered being my fav stick ever, and it’s only 6 years ish old and it doesn’t perform like the current top ends. Yes totally durable it lasted me almost a season as well, but the new sticks are just performances based. The low mid tier sticks perform like the 1n did but they just lack that performance. So it just depends what you need and want out of a stick either is available today. Something is just sacrificed. Durable sticks totally available they just aren’t sub 400 grams and lack the recoil shot power of top sticks. Power and performance is available they just aren’t gonna last a season etc 

44 minutes ago, Beerleaguebumhockey said:

One95 and x60 were durable sticks. The s17 heck no broke those within games. 

I recently tested a stick ( the 1n ) which I remembered being my fav stick ever, and it’s only 6 years ish old and it doesn’t perform like the current top ends. Yes totally durable it lasted me almost a season as well, but the new sticks are just performances based. The low mid tier sticks perform like the 1n did but they just lack that performance. So it just depends what you need and want out of a stick either is available today. Something is just sacrificed. Durable sticks totally available they just aren’t sub 400 grams and lack the recoil shot power of top sticks. Power and performance is available they just aren’t gonna last a season etc 

You’re right. I remember the elliptical shaft on the s17 being a problem for lots of people I knew around that time. I liked it though. 

It is true the new sticks these days are much nicer so I guess it’s a trade off. I do have one more stick from prostockhockey I can use. So I’ll see how that goes. 

46 minutes ago, moonrockticktock said:

You’re right. I remember the elliptical shaft on the s17 being a problem for lots of people I knew around that time. I liked it though. 

It is true the new sticks these days are much nicer so I guess it’s a trade off. I do have one more stick from prostockhockey I can use. So I’ll see how that goes. 

S17 was a sick stick first stick where I was like this is insane! Then broke 3 shots later lol