Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jeffg

prostockhockeysticks

6 hours ago, BTSyndrome said:

I wanted a 74 'ish flex, but the choice was 70 or 77. What I did with my custom red line order was get the "Extended Height" (64") in a 70 flex and then cut them down to my normal length.

Both sticks feel exactly the same, they feel like a 73-74 when compared to my:  Sherwood TMP X2 75 flex & Warrior Alpha LXT 75 flex

Just an idea.

I'm pretty sure the flex ratings on sticks are measured at the same distance. Ie. A 70 flex standard height is the same flex as a 70 flex at extended length.  At least within the same company.  Obviously the 64" will feel whipper when you're flexing it at it's full length vs the 60" but that's not how it's measured for quality control. It's not measured at the end of the butt end. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, BTSyndrome said:

I wanted a 74 'ish flex, but the choice was 70 or 77. What I did with my custom red line order was get the "Extended Height" (64") in a 70 flex and then cut them down to my normal length.

Both sticks feel exactly the same, they feel like a 73-74 when compared to my:  Sherwood TMP X2 75 flex & Warrior Alpha LXT 75 flex

Just an idea.

I'm pretty short (5-6), so have come to feel that even a 75-77 flex is a bit too stiff for me when cut down.  I can use it, but don't think I get the same performance out of it as I do out of the 70 once cut down.  I also don't think getting an extended stick and cutting it down will change the flex feel compared to the same stick at a standard length, once both are cut to the same length.  So far, very happy with the 70 flex yellow line.  My only real complaint is the shape of the shaft in my hand.  I'd rather have the rounded square or square.      

13 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I'm pretty sure the flex ratings on sticks are measured at the same distance. Ie. A 70 flex standard height is the same flex as a 70 flex at extended length.  At least within the same company.  Obviously the 64" will feel whipper when you're flexing it at it's full length vs the 60" but that's not how it's measured for quality control. It's not measured at the end of the butt end. 

They are measured at the standard length

3 hours ago, krisdrum said:

I'm pretty short (5-6), so have come to feel that even a 75-77 flex is a bit too stiff for me when cut down.  I can use it, but don't think I get the same performance out of it as I do out of the 70 once cut down.  I also don't think getting an extended stick and cutting it down will change the flex feel compared to the same stick at a standard length, once both are cut to the same length.  So far, very happy with the 70 flex yellow line.  My only real complaint is the shape of the shaft in my hand.  I'd rather have the rounded square or square.      

43 minutes ago, Hills said:

They are measured at the standard length

Yup yup. 64" sticks are not their own beast. It's a standard length shaft with a 4" extension added.

On 3/21/2023 at 2:16 PM, Hills said:

It depends on the carbon makeup of the stick for blade feel. I have red lines, yellow line, G63, Model E. G63 and Model E are more dampened and softer than the others.

Red Line and Yellow Line are close to recent Jetspeed for pinginess and blade feel.

Every stick I have has been on for flex (I have 7 of them).

All of their sticks are flex tested... so it should be one of the best QC there is especially compared to off the shelf sticks.

Is there a noticeable difference in performance between the G63 / red and yellow lines? Aside from the weight differences, which I guess isn’t really much between the G63 and yellow line

18 hours ago, Yardelm said:

Is there a noticeable difference in performance between the G63 / red and yellow lines? Aside from the weight differences, which I guess isn’t really much between the G63 and yellow line

I can't speak on the Yellow line, because I have a different curve and I just can't shoot with it. But Model E, G63, and Red Line shoot and pass the same minus slight differences in puck feel.

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2023 at 11:00 AM, Hills said:

I can't speak on the Yellow line, because I have a different curve and I just can't shoot with it. But Model E, G63, and Red Line shoot and pass the same minus slight differences in puck feel.

Could you break down the feel of each?

On 3/23/2023 at 2:05 PM, stick9 said:

Yup yup. 64" sticks are not their own beast. It's a standard length shaft with a 4" extension added.

Before the time of extended length sticks, I used 87 flex at standard length + ~3in plug. I have two PSHS 85 flex extended length with no plug and they feel noticeably stiffer.

On 3/23/2023 at 10:12 AM, krisdrum said:

I'm 5'6" too. I got a 110 flex shaft because it was on clearance, I put a Bauer carbon fiber blade on it.. I cut it down and it has zero whip. I use it as a back-up stick.

On 4/19/2023 at 12:37 PM, BLKHKhockey said:

Has anyone tried the Barkov pattern or something similar? Having trouble with one-timers and saucers. Haven't had the time to go to a stick and puck or pickup to practice. I'm coming from a p92. Any tips?

https://prostockhockeysticks.com/products/pro1616-st-barkov-pro-3d-visualizer

BARKOV-PRO-STOCK-HOCKEY-STICK-CURVE-RIGHT_d5644f07-ddea-4004-bdd2-e218b65c168a_900x.png?v=1661527321

If your sauce passes (and other passes) are getting flubbed, either flex is too high, or lie might be off (blade's heel or toe touches the ice when you are passing and shooting) 

On 4/19/2023 at 12:37 PM, BLKHKhockey said:

Has anyone tried the Barkov pattern or something similar? Having trouble with one-timers and saucers. Haven't had the time to go to a stick and puck or pickup to practice. I'm coming from a p92. Any tips?

https://prostockhockeysticks.com/products/pro1616-st-barkov-pro-3d-visualizer

BARKOV-PRO-STOCK-HOCKEY-STICK-CURVE-RIGHT_d5644f07-ddea-4004-bdd2-e218b65c168a_900x.png?v=1661527321

Yes. The Barkov curve has a huge rocker. Even coming from the P92 would be an adjustment. I'm a P88 guy, tried the Barkov and went back to the P88.

Anyone use both the mid and low kicks? I’ve got the Laine mids in 70 flex but debating whether or not to try the low kicks too.

I do like mid kicks (Nexus / Jetspeed / Sherwood Code TMP Pro) but also really like my Triggers… 

Thoughts on what Geps Mid and Low kicks compare to?

I have lows and the mids. Their lows don't REALLY compared to a Trigger though in terms of release and shot. There is certainly a difference between their mid and low, but it isn't as big as the sticks that have a specific taper to help with it.

On 5/3/2023 at 10:26 AM, birky said:

Yes. The Barkov curve has a huge rocker. Even coming from the P92 would be an adjustment. I'm a P88 guy, tried the Barkov and went back to the P88.

I'm really liking the Barkov for puck control and backhands. My shot and saucers have suffered. The P92 seems to do all the work for shots and flat saucers.

I think I am having trouble because it doesn't have a deep enough pocket to shoot off the toe nor enough going on at the heel. Kinda in between a toe curve and heel curve. Can't find the sweet spot for one-timers and saucers require an exaggerated heel to toe puck movement.

What was your experience?

Edited by BLKHKhockey

On 4/19/2023 at 11:37 AM, BLKHKhockey said:

Preface: I'm a lifelong PM9 user and working on switching to something with slightly more curve, so I've tried PRO's Panarin/1910, Barkov/1616, and now the Backstrom/019. I really enjoy the dead straight section with essentially no loft on the first portion of the Barkov, but the mid-toe curve and slight twist to initiate the degree of loft has made for what feels like a smaller sweet spot to shoot from. I'm used to shooting off the mid-toe portion of the blade, but there's been a learning curve. Given the smaller amount of loft than the P92 you're used to, that smaller shooting pocket and heavy rocker on the bottom may be giving you issues. Whereas the P92 is a consistent transition both in terms of curve and degree of loft, the Barkov almost has a distinct spot where the blade bends in comparison.

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

Preface: I'm a lifelong PM9 user and working on switching to something with slightly more curve, so I've tried PRO's Panarin/1910, Barkov/1616, and now the Backstrom/019. I really enjoy the dead straight section with essentially no loft on the first portion of the Barkov, but the mid-toe curve and slight twist to initiate the degree of loft has made for what feels like a smaller sweet spot to shoot from. I'm used to shooting off the mid-toe portion of the blade, but there's been a learning curve. Given the smaller amount of loft than the P92 you're used to, that smaller shooting pocket and heavy rocker on the bottom may be giving you issues. Whereas the P92 is a consistent transition both in terms of curve and degree of loft, the Barkov almost has a distinct spot where the blade bends in comparison.

I would love a PM9 blade face with Barkov's curve. I'm tempted by the Barkov. It might be close enough to perfect for me.

Additionally, Pro may soon be offering some different builds. He currently has a G63 XL build (12k carbon G3 extra light equivalent) he makes for some pros that he has alluded to releasing. He also said "Dan's Build" will be offered, which is the G63 XL 12k carbon shaft build with his 18k Redline blade. 

12 hours ago, Scotty said:

Additionally, Pro may soon be offering some different builds. He currently has a G63 XL build (12k carbon G3 extra light equivalent) he makes for some pros that he has alluded to releasing. He also said "Dan's Build" will be offered, which is the G63 XL 12k carbon shaft build with his 18k Redline blade. 

Are you sure you're not Gep in real life hyping us up? That sounds sooo good!

The G63 XL you're describing basically sounds like a 2nPro XL build (albeit with Geps stiffer blade which is great). Imo the 2nproxl build one of bauers best sticks even though it's only available prostock (and looking at a lot of nhl player bauer sticks, they seem to agree as most sticks have this build with a new graphic)... If that's what Gep is building... Oh I'm excited.

3 hours ago, Yardelm said:

Are you sure you're not Gep in real life hyping us up? That sounds sooo good!

The G63 XL you're describing basically sounds like a 2nPro XL build (albeit with Geps stiffer blade which is great). Imo the 2nproxl build one of bauers best sticks even though it's only available prostock (and looking at a lot of nhl player bauer sticks, they seem to agree as most sticks have this build with a new graphic)... If that's what Gep is building... Oh I'm excited.

If I were Gep, I'd have made a lot more of my own sticks by now! 

The pics I saw on his IG still show the 12k carbon weave on the "Dan's Build", so I'm not sure specifically what is done to make it lighter. I suppose the same things he does to the standard 18k Redline to drop it from the 375g version to the 350g version. If it were the equivalent of the 2N Pro XL, I'd think it would be using 18k weave, but regardless, it's merely an older version of the same tech. I cannot wait to see what this summer brings for his releases. 

On 6/12/2023 at 10:17 PM, Scotty said:

P92 has too high a lie for my liking and the blade is a bit longer than I'd like, or else I'd switch back. Plus, I really like the Barkov for puck control and backhands. First couple times on the ice with the Barkov, my wrist/snap shot was fine. Not as accurate or hard as with the P92, but I quickly picked up that I had to release my shot earlier/more towards the toe. One-timers I had a little more trouble with- off the heel/mid blade had no zip, off near the toe was getting flubbed. I'm guessing the P92 just made me "lazy" with my shot mechanics. Same with saucers: P92 just takes a little flick of the wrists, the Barkov needs a more pronounced motion IME.

All in all, I really enjoy it. Just need to work on one-timers. Not sure I'd go with it again...I already feel it starting to whip out after 3 months playing 1-2/wk. In the shaft and in the blade. Might try the McDavid next or maybe even a Mark Stone pro stock.

On 3/23/2023 at 4:02 PM, Yardelm said:

FWIW, my first purchase from him was a custom G3 build. Broke within a few skates near the fuse point.

I've had two in-stock inventory red line sticks and they are still in one piece after months of using each.

I ordered a couple "G3" builds from Gepetto which I'd say don't really compare to the real thing that much. I dislike how he just slaps the name "G63" even though it has his regular red line mold taper, whereas the old G3 construction has the old one90 0.520 taper profile. All in all, his "G3" is just for appearance without the two piece fuse and breaks just as easily - my two cents.