Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
carterb

Skate Lace Modification - What is This?

They're eyelet extenders. Never seen them up on the top eyelets, but they increase the commune of the skate over a few eyelets if there is a small area that requires more volume. Someone else might know the specifics of it's function here

Mattias Ekholm has been using them since 55 Flex was around. It's similar to the Graf 707 concept of having the ankle articulation of a broken in 80's skate from day 1 (707 goes even further by not only having extreme forward flex, but also lateral flex).

Aaron Ekblad (what the 'Ek's goin' on?) used to use them too, but since at least a few years ago seems to have something from Bauer he's happy with without having the 55 Flex style extenders. It's hard to see what he has but it looks almost like a Nexus 1000 style facing from the mid-foot to the top of his boots now.

I don't think 55 Flex is around anymore, but you can still buy essentially the same thing: https://picclick.com/Hockey-Skate-Lace-Bite-Eliminators-Worn-153791097746.html

Or if you're inclined to try them on the cheap and handy, there are some descriptions by members on MSH how to make your own.

I found while using these that I only needed to put one on the medial portion of my skate.  Helped with the lace bite by increasing the range of motion just enough.