Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
walkerdb7

2021 Stick Equivilent

I am mostly a goalie. I do coach and play out from time to time. My OG Easton Mako pro is about to die. As sticks last for me, would like to replace it with a current high end stick.

What's the closet thing to a Mako in 2021 speak? If every brand offers something in that spirit, I would prefer a Bauer I guess

If I’m remembering right the OG mako was still a fused stick so in that regard no current Bauer’s would be like it. 
but it was a mid-high kick so I’d probably try a Supreme, 2S/3S or similar. I’d avoid top end Bauer’s, go with the second tier stick currently. 

• Like 2

@Buzz_LightBeer thanks for replay 

found this old explanation - 

Says it’s a low kick point - what stick does that translate too?

why do you say to stay away from the high end sticks?

QUICK PASS. QUICK SHOT. QUICK HANDS. MAKO

• Model Year: 2012
  • Heritage: New for 2012
  • Level of Player: Ideal for the advanced to pro level player
  • Construction: Fused one-piece
  • Shaft Dimensions: Rounded corners/Straight sidewalls
  • Flex Point: Low kick
  • Weight: 462 grams (based on 85, Hall curve)

They had two stick lines at the time, the RS was the true low kick elliptical shaft stick, and I would take issue with them calling the Mako a low kick comparatively. 

based on weight and shaft shape, I’d personally avoid the Ultra Sonic, Sling, Geo or Hyperlite. Find a 2S or 2N or similar and in my opinion you’d find a stick more similar to the original Mako

outside of Bauer, the A5.2 from True might be something you’d like as well

• Like 1

Unfortunately, heel curves have gotten much harder to find over the years. I've had better luck finding these patterns (Drury, Lidstrom, etc.) among the pro stock offerings on SLS or ebay. Also, the recent thread on prostockhockeysticks.com might be worth checking out - I haven't tried their sticks yet, but the prospect of easier access to a range of unusual or hard-to-find curves is a big draw.  

3 hours ago, walkerdb7 said:

holy shit! P91a RH is literally non existent. Checked Pure, Monkey, HSM, etc etc

Same issue...looking to get back to the old "Drury" pattern again after using a PM9 for a while. Warrior used to make a W05, not sure if it is still available. I found Winnwell makes a Drury clone in their Q11 line, pattern 124...looks like a pretty good mid lower price point stick up here in the Great White North.

1 hour ago, start_today said:

You can have any curve you want at retail, as long as it’s a p88, p28, or p92. 

Bauer's offerings plus their P92M

I still have an OG Mako somewhere in the garage. Nice stick back when it was new. I'd say Nexus but a Jetspeed would be worth a look. 

Plenty of pro stock Nexus and jetspeeds out there. Might even find a heel curve or two. 

Decided a P92 was the way to go. Drurys are impossible to get. I got a 2016 Nexus Team model. I have to imagine it's a solid upgrade to what I had but not the sexiest? I was looking for a prostock 2N, but couldn't mind my specs