Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ProfessorBarDownski

Problem with skates

I’ve had a long layoff from hockey since the pandemic first hit. I just started skating in November,I’ve been on the ice about 4 times so far and these skates that used to fit so beautifully before I stopped playing are now killing the forefoot on both feet. I tried 3 re-bakes and it didn’t make a difference. The top guys at my local LHS warned me it’s not a good idea to punch the skates out. They are a EE fit.I always had wide feet, now all of a sudden I’m a EEE. How is this possible? I bought these vapor 1x 2.0 the first day they came out. Should I just get a new pair or go ahead and stretch them out?

Your feet just aren't used to them anymore. Your arches changed and all your feet and leg muscles aren't used to those movements. They're going to bed to be retrained. You also probably naturally lost some callouses and thickened skin from giving your feet w break from wearing skates too... 

Not sure what suggestions I have but to either tough it out until your feet get used to it again or get new skates lol. 

You can also wear the skates around the house an hr or so a day. Helped me in the past when I didn't have trues. 

My skates fit well enough pre-quarantine. I didn’t play from March 2020 through October 2020. Not only did I not play, I spent all of my time barefoot or flip flops, except for a few times a week when I tried to take up running (screw that).

My skates really hurt when I came back in October, and it was only 7+ months. I didn’t wear any supportive footwear during that time, so I assume the shape of my foot change. My snowboarding boots, which have the same fit style as hockey skates, also killed my feet at first. 

For me, I was just patient and was able to reacclimate to both without having to rebake anything. Since you’ve rebaked them multiple time already, it might be that you just need new skates. As your whole body has to re-adapt to hockey, it might also be that any skates would be uncomfortable on your feet right now. 

17 hours ago, ProfessorBarDownski said:

The top guys at my local LHS warned me it’s not a good idea to punch the skates out. 

Did they explain why? Other than wanting to upsell you into a new pair of skates, punching is about the most common thing you can do to skates to fix hot spots etc. Now if they were too tight across the forefoot I might not punch them, I'd do a stretch. I'm curious as to why a LHS would tell you a punch is not a good idea. 

8 hours ago, start_today said:

My skates fit well enough pre-quarantine. I didn’t play from March 2020 through October 2020. Not only did I not play, I spent all of my time barefoot or flip flops, except for a few times a week when I tried to take up running (screw that).

My skates really hurt when I came back in October, and it was only 7+ months. I didn’t wear any supportive footwear during that time, so I assume the shape of my foot change. My snowboarding boots, which have the same fit style as hockey skates, also killed my feet at first. 

For me, I was just patient and was able to reacclimate to both without having to rebake anything. Since you’ve rebaked them multiple time already, it might be that you just need new skates. As your whole body has to re-adapt to hockey, it might also be that any skates would be uncomfortable on your feet right now. 

Yeah that’s what I did except during summer and late through the fall season I was wearing flip flops maybe that’s why 

7 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Did they explain why? Other than wanting to upsell you into a new pair of skates, punching is about the most common thing you can do to skates to fix hot spots etc. Now if they were too tight across the forefoot I might not punch them, I'd do a stretch. I'm curious as to why a LHS would tell you a punch is not a good idea. 

They said the skates would tear or stretch from EE to EEE and possibly separate from the outsole during skating I’ve been going to them for years I’ve had my skates stretched and punched this is the first time they refused 🤷‍♂️

Edited by ProfessorBarDownski

6 hours ago, ProfessorBarDownski said:

Big time !! Lol but I don’t think that changes the feet ?

Your feet are likely to broaden as they bear more load. It’s like any soft support. Press down on a squeeze ball with your fist and it expands outward under the load. It’s maybe only a few mm on each side, but add that up and suddenly stiff, snug-fitting footwear goes from comfortable to unbearable.

9 hours ago, ProfessorBarDownski said:

Big time !! Lol but I don’t think that changes the feet ?

I'd say this is the culprit. As someone else mentioned, more weight overall means you're feet could be spreading out like how a rubber tire bulges when you load up a truck/car. Another thing to add to that is the fact you're probably not use to carrying around that weight when you're skating. Add that to the time off because of the apocalypse, and you may feel a bit more unstable on the ice. This may lead you to over tighten your skates to compensate, which will squeeze the sides of the skate in more. It doesn't take much. A few millimetres can make all the difference.between a comfortable skate and one that's crushing your foot. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, puckpilot said:

...carrying around that weight when you're skating. Add that to the time off because of the apocalypse, and you may feel a bit more unstable on the ice. This may lead you to over tighten your skates to compensate, which will squeeze the sides of the skate in more. It doesn't take much. A few millimetres can make all the difference.between a comfortable skate and one that's crushing your foot. 

Absolutely spot on.

Edited by flip12

14 hours ago, puckpilot said:

I'd say this is the culprit. As someone else mentioned, more weight overall means you're feet could be spreading out like how a rubber tire bulges when you load up a truck/car. Another thing to add to that is the fact you're probably not use to carrying around that weight when you're skating. Add that to the time off because of the apocalypse, and you may feel a bit more unstable on the ice. This may lead you to over tighten your skates to compensate, which will squeeze the sides of the skate in more. It doesn't take much. A few millimetres can make all the difference.between a comfortable skate and one that's crushing your foot. 

I’m gonna go for it. The thing is last time I needed something like this done I had to leave my skates on the widening machine overnight at the LHS, they bake them and open them up. Didn’t have time to take them today, but I have a game tomorrow night and I’m wondering if I get them done early in the morning, will they be okay to skate in around 7pm? 

another thing I’m wondering about, it’s inevitable for us hockey players to loose insane amounts of weight when we start skating regularly again, I just hope by the time this happens, the skates won’t be too wide. 

Edited by ProfessorBarDownski

5 hours ago, ProfessorBarDownski said:

I’m gonna go for it. The thing is last time I needed something like this done I had to leave my skates on the widening machine overnight at the LHS, they bake them and open them up. Didn’t have time to take them today, but I have a game tomorrow night and I’m wondering if I get them done early in the morning, will they be okay to skate in around 7pm? 

another thing I’m wondering about, it’s inevitable for us hockey players to loose insane amounts of weight when we start skating regularly again, I just hope by the time this happens, the skates won’t be too wide. 

With new skates, after a bake, I've heard the recommendation not to skate on them for 24hrs. Don't know how true that is. I've never had the situation come up where I needed to make the choice.

In terms of weight. I can tell you the formula is simple. Burn more calories than you take in. Please don't take this as me trying to be a smart-ass. I've struggled with my weight for years. I'd yo-yo between 5-10lbs, but no matter how much hockey I played, I could never keep the weight off. And what finally clicked for me over Covid was not necessarily to eat less, but to take in less calories, I actually ended up losing 20lbs over Covid, because I simply substituted low calorie options for my snacks. For example, Instead of chips I ate popcorn. I can eat a whole bag of light popcorn, filling myself, and not even come close to the calories in a couple handfuls of chips. 

Any ways, good luck. Hope everything turns out for the best.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2021 at 5:36 AM, puckpilot said:

With new skates, after a bake, I've heard the recommendation not to skate on them for 24hrs. Don't know how true that is. I've never had the situation come up where I needed to make the choice.

In terms of weight. I can tell you the formula is simple. Burn more calories than you take in. Please don't take this as me trying to be a smart-ass. I've struggled with my weight for years. I'd yo-yo between 5-10lbs, but no matter how much hockey I played, I could never keep the weight off. And what finally clicked for me over Covid was not necessarily to eat less, but to take in less calories, I actually ended up losing 20lbs over Covid, because I simply substituted low calorie options for my snacks. For example, Instead of chips I ate popcorn. I can eat a whole bag of light popcorn, filling myself, and not even come close to the calories in a couple handfuls of chips. 

Any ways, good luck. Hope everything turns out for the best.

My problem was opposite. I used to take pride

of the fact I can eat everything and anything because I would burn it all off on the ice. When Covid hit my eating habits stayed the same but my physical activity stopped. I get where ur coming from. I just hope this omicron bs doesn’t shut us down again.

On 11/28/2021 at 11:31 PM, ProfessorBarDownski said:

I wouldn't expect insane losses when you get back into things. Burning fat is much different, and harder than burning off a big meal. If you want to see real gains youll need to switch up your diet as well.

• Like 1