Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
m0rdecai89

Under Lacing Vs Over Lacing

I've heard it described as a way to help with lace bit by creating additional volume, however, that is flawed thinking. It can change slightly where the laces pressure your foot. I have heard persuasive arguments that it can make laces more or less likely to loosen depending on which way you do it. But the type of laces can make a much bigger difference in this regard. In summary, I've never heard of any significant difference and it seems mostly personal preference. They may be additional reasons that I haven't heard of or am not recalling at the moment.

It’s been brought up before, but it makes no difference for lace bite as it doesn’t reduce pressure as the lace crosses the tongue.  In both lacing methods, at the midpoint between the facings as the lace crosses one half of the lace is going up and over and one half is heading under, it just changes the order.

If you could get an over/over pattern, that could alleviate some pressure.  You could either do this by going outside in then bringing the laces up the same side under the facing and then inside out before crossing them again.  This would eliminate one cross plus create an outside/ outside above and below but may change the way the skate feels, you would have to experiment.

You could also do a single inside-outside, cross, outside-inside which would give relief in that specific area.

Theoretically those hiking boot type D-ring eyelets would enable outside/outside but I have never seen that and don’t know if it would even be possible.

Edited by BenBreeg

I alternate on one pair and overlace the other three.  Only difference I've noticed is that alternate seems to stay tighter all game and is more difficult to unlace after. Using waxed for all.  Seems to matter less with waxed laces (both phenomena).

Note: three pairs are CCM with traditional eyelets...the other are 2xPros but I reamed out the locking eyelets to make them round (I hate those things).

Edited by Jbear

3 hours ago, Jbear said:

I alternate on one pair and overlace the other three.  Only difference I've noticed is that alternate seems to stay tighter all game and is more difficult to unlace after. Using waxed for all.  Seems to matter less with waxed laces (both phenomena).

Note: three pairs are CCM with traditional eyelets...the other are 2xPros but I reamed out the locking eyelets to make them round (I hate those things).

I do this as well. It creates "zones" as I like to call it.

Under lacing allows the lace to slip between eyelets more than over lacing. Over lacing locks the laces more. 

Thus in doing this I can create variable zones within the skates of how much slippage I want for my laces. 

I do not use waxed laces and I tend to not recommend waxed laces as they dont allow the lace to redistribute pressure across eyelets. 

Edited by PBH

I lace entirely under and prefer it this way. Never had lace bite issues and I find they lock nicely. In truth, I lace my shoes under as well, and I prefer it

1 minute ago, Miller55 said:

I lace entirely under and prefer it this way. Never had lace bite issues and I find they lock nicely. In truth, I lace my shoes under as well, and I prefer it

A proper fitting skate or shoe shouldn't require you to tinker with lacing unless you have weird feet 😉 

21 minutes ago, PBH said:

A proper fitting skate or shoe shouldn't require you to tinker with lacing unless you have weird feet 😉 

Lol I never really tinker. Lace once and play, can't remember the last time I had to untie my skates to lace them again. I was also in Supreme with the lace locks for the last bunch of years