Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jbear

P90/92 with a square toe?

Does this exist?  I'm a D-man and a square toe is perfect for me but...I don't want that crazy heel hook.

I used to be able to get wood twigs with a Chelios blade...I'm pretty sure those were square, but...

I can't fathom that there's no market for a curve like this. 

M David uses a modded p92 with square toe. Good luck finding one of his pro stocks though lol. You're other option is to sand down the toe on one if your sticks and then epoxy and tape. That's only if you're a real nut

4 hours ago, Miller55 said:

M David uses a modded p92 with square toe. Good luck finding one of his pro stocks though lol. You're other option is to sand down the toe on one if your sticks and then epoxy and tape. That's only if you're a real nut

His square toe junior pattern that he’s been slowly working away from is a more open and curved Easton Iginla Jr. I’ve read on here that Oates insists McDavid use Oates’ preferred curve (Stamkos Pro?), which I believe is a P92 with some mid-toe curve added to it.

6 hours ago, flip12 said:

His square toe junior pattern that he’s been slowly working away from is a more open and curved Easton Iginla Jr. I’ve read on here that Oates insists McDavid use Oates’ preferred curve (Stamkos Pro?), which I believe is a P92 with some mid-toe curve added to it.

It's a p92 that stays more closed at the heel and opens up a bit later than the retail edition. But McD already told Oates to go fly a kite and looks like he's sticking with his curve. It's very close to a square toe p92, similar to Iginla but a much deeper pocket and opens up on top. To say it's an Iggy with more curve depth and more open does not exclude it from being similar to a p92, as the 92 also has more curve and is more open to Iginla. That said, I'm a right shot and I've only ever seen lefty of both McD and Oates, so there are possibly nuances that I'm not pickup up (I have a hard time doing it for lefty curves)

Edited by Miller55

I think prostocksticks.com has a McD like this. I'm RH too, so...I'm accustomed to having about 32.3% of the choice that the normal hockey world has🥅🏒🇨🇦🤣😎

On 12/5/2021 at 4:12 PM, Jbear said:

I think prostocksticks.com has a McD like this. I'm RH too, so...I'm accustomed to having about 32.3% of the choice that the normal hockey world has🥅🏒🇨🇦🤣😎

They do!

On 12/5/2021 at 3:46 PM, Miller55 said:

It's a p92 that stays more closed at the heel and opens up a bit later than the retail edition. But McD already told Oates to go fly a kite and looks like he's sticking with his curve. It's very close to a square toe p92, similar to Iginla but a much deeper pocket and opens up on top. To say it's an Iggy with more curve depth and more open does not exclude it from being similar to a p92, as the 92 also has more curve and is more open to Iginla. That said, I'm a right shot and I've only ever seen lefty of both McD and Oates, so there are possibly nuances that I'm not pickup up (I have a hard time doing it for lefty curves)

McDavid was using Oates' preferred pattern again yesterday:

IBQNDAa-A_NCHAVGdJIDVy9vtsjS8ds28TbGmewp

There are many characteristics that can impact how a blade plays for someone. There are a few things that would steer me away from McDavid's curve if I were a P92 user.

1. It's a junior sized blade, smaller in length and height. This will likely be noticed by someone used to bigger blades.
  2. It has very little rocker, in stark contrast to the P92.
  3. It's a very low lie, where even the P92-"5" is still higher than a P88 "6."
  4. It's not exactly a square toe, but more of a hybrid semi-square, like the E13 (P89's a touch bit rounder). Depending on what you're looking for in a square blade @Jbear, it might fit the bill.

The curves of the McDavid and P92 are quite similar, and the loft looks to be very close, but there are other important things to consider. The first 1:35 of Geppetto's review of the blade has some good side by side comparisons with the P92.

@Hills also reviewed PSHS and their McDavid curve in some depth:

@Jbear, have you tried squaring off the P92 toe yourself? There are some suggestions on MSH if you search for repairing a toe with epoxy for wet environments. That way you'd keep the other features of the P92 and only lose a little bit of blade length. Plus, it's still maybe the easiest pattern on the market to find.

Edited by flip12
Opened the oven too soon.
  • Like 2