Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
in2hockey04

Nike Bauer One90's

I'm still wearing my Nike-Bauer One90's, which I absolutely love; although they're really starting to fall apart.. I long ago replaced the lightspeed 2 power holders for the tried and true Tuuk custom pros+.

In 2014 I bought Bauer's anniversary edition MX3's and struggled to break them in even after baking them. I started using them with regularity in 2018 but have never felt like I skated nearly as smooth and as fluid as I did with my one90's.

This season I switched back to my one90's and it was night and day.  

Can anyone suggest a current Bauer model that would be close to what the one90's were? The interchangeable tongue system on the MX3's is a disaster in my opinion and may be the contributing factor...

All my steel has always been rockered and sharpened by noicingsports. So the issue isn't my steel... 

Any input would be appreciated... Thanks!

Its hard to replicate the experience. But it can be about a holder as well. Try some softer supreme model, not vapor. Or ccm tacks, and replace holder. I had One95 NikeBauer, and the closest thing is CCM tacks skates. But they are stiff, if you are into that.

Edited by yk15

Still struggling with this... 

I been using my one90's all season but decided that I'd give my MX3's another go.

I purchased Tydan Edge SS, I was informed by both nocing and Tydan themselves that these runners were the closest to the Tuuk Custom+.

Skated yesterday and they felt awful. Straight away speed was great but turns and forward/backward transitions were terrible.

I'm starting to really think that it's a boot issue and not the runners/holder at all. 

Are the Bauer Ultrasonics any better then the MX3's? 

I'm getting desperate because my one90's are really starting to fall apart. 

Appreciate any input, also maybe a good boot repair shop?

Thanks!

one90s were lower cut than Bauer’s usual and they went back to that from the one95 if I’m not mistaken. Add to that the one90s were tech mesh, with a little more give than Bauer’s CURV boots that came after, and you’re in for a pretty different ride. I’m biased by my taste for lower cut boots, but have you tried Trues on? The upcoming Catalyst line is supposed to have more give, with a flexible tendon guard (another one90 feature) and be about as light as the leading skates from Bauer and CCM. one90 shells molded more than needed up Bauers that followed, and Trues align there as well.

CCM 100Ks could be another option.

44 minutes ago, flip12 said:

one90s were lower cut than Bauer’s usual and they went back to that from the one95 if I’m not mistaken. Add to that the one90s were tech mesh, with a little more give than Bauer’s CURV boots that came after, and you’re in for a pretty different ride. I’m biased by my taste for lower cut boots, but have you tried Trues on? The upcoming Catalyst line is supposed to have more give, with a flexible tendon guard (another one90 feature) and be about as light as the leading skates from Bauer and CCM. one90 shells molded more than needed up Bauers that followed, and Trues align there as well.

CCM 100Ks could be another option.

God I'd hate to have to change brands only because I have so much invested in runners. I heard a lot of good things about True skates in general but haven't tried on a pair. Unfortunately we have limited local accessibility to any skates, our rink pro shop is about it and they have next to nothing. 2 hour drive to the nearest real pro shop and even they are limited. So from the sounds of what you're saying Bauer isn't making a boot even close to the one90's. Thanks for your input!  

11 hours ago, in2hockey04 said:

I been using my one90's all season but decided that I'd give my MX3's another go.

I purchased Tydan Edge SS, I was informed by both nocing and Tydan themselves that these runners were the closest to the Tuuk Custom+.

Skated yesterday and they felt awful. Straight away speed was great but turns and forward/backward transitions were terrible.

I'm starting to really think that it's a boot issue and not the runners/holder at all. 

Thanks!

You need to go with a more flexible boot. I would say a Ribcor 90k would be the closest thing to your One90s.

The 100K is a one-piece bot and while its build to be flexible it will still be too stiff compared to what you are used to. 

TRUE are nice, but  think its going to be too much of a different feel for you, based on what you have shared., 

Edited by PBH
  • Like 1

One90 is my favorite boot of all time hands down - Keep us posted if you find a suitable replacement.

FWIW I’m in Jetspeed 490s with edge holders and they’re pretty damn nice with the top eyelets undone. Not quite the holy grail but very serviceable relative to the zillion other models I’ve tried recently. 

I do agree with what others have said in that the top end boots nowadays are ultra stiff and will overpower your foot and ankle compared to the One90 which basically moved with you 1:1. The reduced stiffness is what primarily drove my logic to go down 1 level from the top end model. My experience has been that CCMs are way more feature rich at that $599-$699 price point whereas Bauer (the brand I wore exclusively from mites to about a year ago) really starts to cut corners on some #2 models and drop features that have been standard on high end skates forever. 

Edited by Cavs019
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, in2hockey04 said:

Thanks!

Just curious, have you compared the old blades from your one90s to the Tydan Edge SS? Are they close? It sounds like the profile is longer on the Tydan blades. Shorter radius profile will help with turns and transitions, but north-south skating will have more resistance and make you more tired than longer radius profile. 

12 hours ago, caveman27 said:

Just curious, have you compared the old blades from your one90s to the Tydan Edge SS? Are they close? It sounds like the profile is longer on the Tydan blades. Shorter radius profile will help with turns and transitions, but north-south skating will have more resistance and make you more tired than longer radius profile. 

Matched up they are nearly identical.... noicing sports and Tydan themselves recommended their edge ss.

I was already questioning the boot as being the culprit and now based on everyone's input I am almost certain. 

I have LS Fusion, LS3, LS4 and now Tydan edge ss. The fusion is probably the most different while the LS3 & LS4 are closer but still not really close at all. 

I can skate with any of them but unfortunately I'm having the same results.

I'll post if I find a suitable boot comparable to the one90's. 

Thanks all! 

This may seem like a fairly off-the-wall suggestion but have you looked at Grafs? The one90 was a fairly low-volume, low-cut boot. Given how long I'm assuming you've been skating on them (I don't know for sure maybe you're on your 5th pair, I'm on my 6th pair of 8090's) they have to be pretty damn soft by now. Looking at something like a Graf 703, which is still available in North America, may be a decent solution. Should be pretty easy to put Tuuks on so you can keep your steel. 

Part of the reason I make the suggestion is that although I've been able to keep myself in 8090's for the time being through ebay and sideline swap, I've also tried more modern skates and they just do not work for me. It lead me to look at Graf 755's as a suitable alternative and I'll probably purchase a pair soon. 

1 hour ago, Griff said:

This may seem like a fairly off-the-wall suggestion but have you looked at Grafs? The one90 was a fairly low-volume, low-cut boot. Given how long I'm assuming you've been skating on them (I don't know for sure maybe you're on your 5th pair, I'm on my 6th pair of 8090's) they have to be pretty damn soft by now. Looking at something like a Graf 703, which is still available in North America, may be a decent solution. Should be pretty easy to put Tuuks on so you can keep your steel. 

Part of the reason I make the suggestion is that although I've been able to keep myself in 8090's for the time being through ebay and sideline swap, I've also tried more modern skates and they just do not work for me. It lead me to look at Graf 755's as a suitable alternative and I'll probably purchase a pair soon. 

I had a pair of 705's years ago and they were pretty good, wore them for a few seasons.

My buddy is telling me the same thing, go back to Graf's and have the Tuuks mounted on them.

If I remember correctly the only reason I didn't like them was most likely because of the difference in runner profiles and not so much the boot fit. 

Now I'm looking at just the opposite, steel is fine, boot not so much. 

Started in the 70's with the old steel holder CCM Super Tacks, quickly switched to Bauer (whatever model), then 2000's then 4000's, Graf 705, then tried CCM Super Tacks again (for about 1/2 a season) then my one90's and of course the MX3's that I'm struggling with. 

I'll post a pic later of my one90's just for laughs... 

What size are you wearing in Graf's in relation to your Bauer size? I squeeze my feet into a 6D Bauer and I have a size 8 foot.   

From Bauer 8090 to the Graf 755 I was 8.5 in both. YMMV based on foot shape and how you like it to fit but at least for me from traditional boot to traditional boot it was consistent.

• Like 1

Straight from Bauer customer service:

"Hi Edward,

Thank You for the e-mail.  So this was our lowest profile skate meaning the old One90’s.  The closet skate to that One90 is our now Vapor line , however those are no longer in the market place.  So the model that would be most equivalent to the One90 skate would be the Vapor 3X line of skates.  I would be confident that you’ll like the classic 48 oz felt tongue, on the 3X skate, this is a Digi composite + quarter package, which is extremely light weight however this is the closest skate currently that would line up with the Bauer Nike One90’s.  I understand what you mean with the tongue of the MX3, this was something we tried and some loved it and others did not.  We did have the tongue inserts to make them as stiff as they wanted and or a non-stiff as they wanted.

I Hope this helps..

Best

Mike"

Thoughts?

True had a satisfaction guarantee with the TFs. I’ll say again maybe give the Catalyst a shot if they offer that when they release. For the trial period, I don’t know if they’ll allow swapping the holder, but you could have the steel profiled to match what you’re used to, to have a better apples to apples comparison.

It’s strange the Bauer service rep. is so confident you’d like the thick felt tongue; one90 tongues were far from that.

12 hours ago, flip12 said:

True had a satisfaction guarantee with the TFs. I’ll say again maybe give the Catalyst a shot if they offer that when they release. For the trial period, I don’t know if they’ll allow swapping the holder, but you could have the steel profiled to match what you’re used to, to have a better apples to apples comparison.

It’s strange the Bauer service rep. is so confident you’d like the thick felt tongue; one90 tongues were far from that.

Totally agree on the tongue,  I thought that was weird too, from the looks of what he recommended the tongue is more like what was on my 4000's. 

I tried something last night at stick time with my 11 year old, prior to my skate. I put on my mx3's and removed the flex insert completely (dumb design IMO). What a vast improvement! Without the insert I had much more forward lean. I didn't feel so locked into the boot and upright plus the steel felt great. Not perfect but at least I feel like I can use them in a pinch until I find the right skate.  

I have a lot to think about in the off season... 

Appreciate everyone's input! 

12 hours ago, in2hockey04 said:

Totally agree on the tongue,  I thought that was weird too, from the looks of what he recommended the tongue is more like what was on my 4000's. 

I tried something last night at stick time with my 11 year old, prior to my skate. I put on my mx3's and removed the flex insert completely (dumb design IMO). What a vast improvement! Without the insert I had much more forward lean. I didn't feel so locked into the boot and upright plus the steel felt great. Not perfect but at least I feel like I can use them in a pinch until I find the right skate.  

I have a lot to think about in the off season... 

Appreciate everyone's input! 

Aha! I thought you had tried that already, tongue with no insert at all. Just how crucial tongue stiffness is has been one of the most surprising things I’ve discovered in my years of hockey equipment nerdery. If the tongue is too stiff, along with a stiff boot, it can be terribly hindring to performance.

• Like 1

100% the MX3 boots are the issue. I took a shot in the foot Friday night and cracked one of my Tuuk Custom + holders on the one90's. I have 2 spares sets of Custom + holders but I also have a spare set of Tuuk Edge holders. So I thought, well I can rule out the steel right now and mounted the Tuuk Edge holders with the Tydan steel on the one90's. After about 10 minutes on the ice yesterday I felt completely comfortable with the slightly different profile and I'm sure that tonight I wont even know the difference...  Years ago when the Lightspeed 2 Power holders (garbage) continued to break, I decided to start bolting the holders on, much like the Graf setup. This makes it really easy to change holders and in this case experiment with the Tuuk Edge holders/steel on my one90 boots. So now the million dollar question, Graf's? Vapors? Supremes? True? and have Edge Holders mounted on them? 

Side question: Does the Bauer fit system only change the width or is it the height of the boot as well?