Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
noupf

New skates and MAP Pricing

So, I'm likely in the market for a new pair of skates.  I realize all hockey retailers ( brick and mortar and online ) have MAP pricing rules for current models of their product lines.  However, I heard recently that with some retailers, you can often times get a different price in store or over the phone.  Is this at all true?

Edited by noupf

5 hours ago, noupf said:

So, I'm likely in the market for a new pair of skates.  I realize all hockey retailers ( brick and mortar and online ) have MAP pricing rules for current models of their product lines.  However, I heard recently that with some retailers, you can often times get a different price in store or over the phone.  Is this at all true?

Maybe, it's not "illegal". But, if a supplier found out, they can cut off that retailer. 

12 hours ago, caveman27 said:

Maybe, it's not "illegal". But, if a supplier found out, they can cut off that retailer. 

yea I read up more on it and it seems like the MAP price is supposed to only pertain to the minimum advertised price of said product, but a retailer can sell them for whatever they want if the customer asks for a deal or discount.  I remember years ago calling a truck accessory online dealer in regards to a $900 tonneau cover for my truck, after asking my questions,  jokingly I asked if they could do any better on the price and the guy took off another $200.  I have no idea if it was a MAP product, but i do recall all places that sold the cover had it listed at the exact same price.  I wonder if the same can be done with hockey monkey or icewarehouse or any of those places. Might have to make some phone calls...

Edited by noupf

41 minutes ago, noupf said:

I have no idea if it was a MAP product, but i do recall all places that sold the cover had it listed at the exact same price.  I wonder if the same can be done with hockey monkey or icewarehouse or any of those places. Might have to make some phone calls...

I believe that Ice Warehouse advertises a "lowest price guarantee" or some sort of price matching program.

Calls couldn't hurt, and I'd be curious to learn what you find out.  That said, my experiences w/Hockey Monkey, Pure, etc. lead me to think that there's not a ton of discretion or play in the joints when it comes to policy.  My sense is that large, national chains' organizational structure means there isn't much of a "let me talk to my manager and see what we can do" dynamic at work.

18 minutes ago, bl4 said:

I believe that Ice Warehouse advertises a "lowest price guarantee" or some sort of price matching program.

Calls couldn't hurt, and I'd be curious to learn what you find out.  That said, my experiences w/Hockey Monkey, Pure, etc. lead me to think that there's not a ton of discretion or play in the joints when it comes to policy.  My sense is that large, national chains' organizational structure means there isn't much of a "let me talk to my manager and see what we can do" dynamic at work.

yea, i have a feeling you are correct.  It might be something the smaller local hockey shops are willing to do and sell them at whatever margin they want, so long as they advertise the full price on the sticker of the product on the shelf / website.

Edited by noupf

Imagine being the guy who walks in to your local hockey store, in an economy where small businesses are struggling all over because of multiple factors, and trying to grind them down and negotiate the price of hockey equipment. 

• Like 1

Interesting, i know a shit ton of small businesses that are killing it in this economy.

Didn't realize asking for a better price on a $800-1000 pair of skates was a terrible thing to do.  You pay full price for everything? Kudos to you

Guess we can now praise all the car dealerships out there asking for prices over MSRP.  Good to know.

Edited by noupf

35 minutes ago, noupf said:

Interesting, i know a shit ton of small businesses that are killing it in this economy.

Didn't realize asking for a better price on a $800-1000 pair of skates was a terrible thing to do.  You pay full price for everything? Kudos to you

Guess we can now praise all the car dealerships out there asking for prices over MSRP.  Good to know.

what skate are you looking for and in what size? 

On 12/17/2021 at 12:06 PM, noupf said:

A small hockey shop is not a multi-million dollar car dealership. You know that. 

If you’re new to hockey, I apologize. Small shops have been struggling against big box retailers like monkey sports and pure hockey and online options for years. Some are making it work, some are getting swallowed up. It’s creating a huge lack of local services and knowledgeable people to service equipment. And that small shop experience is near and dear to many people on here. 

Hockey equipment isn’t marked up to then be discounted like cars. Part of what you are paying for is a specialized service and knowledge that those local shops have. Prices are what they are because the of what the companies charge. If you’re arguing down the cost of equipment, you’re not sticking it to Johnny Bauerington Jr, you’re taking money anyway from a small store that’s probably doing it as much for a passion for the game as they are a livelihood. No one is putting their money and time into a hockey store in 2021 because they think it’s solely a good investment. There’s a love for the game there. I’d rather buy stuff from them than Walmart and Amazon. 

• Thanks 1

The best I've been able to manage is avoiding tax if I pay with cash from some of the smaller shops since they usually have a little more freedom with creative accounting and can benefit as well.  I'll usually try this when buying higher priced items like sticks or skates... we're just under 9% sales tax here so it def adds up quick.

6 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

The best I've been able to manage is avoiding tax if I pay with cash from some of the smaller shops since they usually have a little more freedom with creative accounting and can benefit as well.  I'll usually try this when buying higher priced items like sticks or skates... we're just under 9% sales tax here so it def adds up quick.

Under 9%, pfffft. Try 10.25% in my hometown of Long Beach, CA. 😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 1