Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
caveman27

Ovechkin breaking records this season

Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin continues to rewrite the NHL's record books. The 36-year-old left winger scored his 274th power-play goal against the Chicago Blackhawks on Wednesday, tying Hall of Famer Dave Andreychuk for the most all-time. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/capitals-alex-ovechkin-scores-274th-power-play-goal-ties-dave-andreychuk-for-most-all-time/#:~:text=Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin,for the most all-time.

He already tied and surpassed Brett Hull's record of 741 goals and is heading towards Jaromir Jagr's record of 766 goals. I'm guessing he'll surpass it this season, either regular or post season. 

• Like 2

He's starting this season with 780 total goals.

Gordie Howe's record stands at 801 goals and Wayne Gretzky's record stands at 894 goals.

I don't know if Alex Ovechkin can beat Wayne's record before he retires. 1. Alex doesn't have an enforcer like Marty McSorley like Wayne did.2. i think it might take 3 seasons to get close to it. The COVID-19 shutdown ruined his chance of getting to it earlier. As he gets older, he can still play, like Jaromir Jagr did, but his speed and power will start to decline so 50+ goal seasons will be harder to do.

I don't think Ovechkin has ever really needed an enforcer, the guy's a bull.  He still has 4 years to put up 114 goals.  So he'll have to essentially put up 29 goals a season.  He may get close, it'd be awesome to see.  It depends on whether Washington can continue to retool around him as well.  The roster's been aging.

• Like 1

He’s also fortunate to have not missed significant time to injury. I wouldn’t mind seeing him get close to 99 or pass him. Records only mean so much if they’re from an era where no one will ever touch them. 

• Like 2