Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

FBV in high level hockey?

On 12/17/2021 at 6:39 PM, dkmiller3356 said:

I play in the MHL and I use FBV

(.... Midnight Hockey League 😂)

I used to use it til my son knocked my skate off the hook in the garage and I didn't find out til day of a game and couldn't get to anyplace that used it.  I switched back to a regular hollow and now use some sort of flare/fire thingy that my friend at Pure did for me.

I’ve heard some people say FBV loses an edge easier than ROH, and I’ve also heard people say that it’s more resistant to dings and bumps and holds an edge better/longer. 

Is there any truth to either?  

5 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

I used to use it til my son knocked my skate off the hook in the garage and I didn't find out til day of a game and couldn't get to anyplace that used it.  I switched back to a regular hollow and now use some sort of flare/fire thingy that my friend at Pure did for me.

I have considered trying the Sparx Fire.....  need to demo it first tho.  If I liked it I'd buy the sparx but I havent heard amazing things about the Fire ring and I love my FBV.  Hand sharpened by the master himself... @JR Boucicaut

7 hours ago, start_today said:

I’ve heard some people say FBV loses an edge easier than ROH, and I’ve also heard people say that it’s more resistant to dings and bumps and holds an edge better/longer. 

I've been in FBV for about 7 years now and I think in this regard its more or less the same...  way too much is made of that IMHO.  

8 hours ago, start_today said:

I t does not hold an edge better.

Less material and smaller edges always results in a weaker edge. Just like edges on a 3/8" ROH will not be as strong as a 7/8" ROH. 

9 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

I have considered trying the Sparx Fire.....  need to demo it first tho.  If I liked it I'd buy the sparx but I havent heard amazing things about the Fire ring and I love my FBV.  Hand sharpened by the master himself... @JR Boucicaut

Sparx Fire is ok.  Nothing revolutionary.  It's not better than FBV, but I switched to it cause the convenience of the Sparx vs hand sharpening on a Blackstone was worth it enough to me.  FBV has better glide, but not THAT much better.  Give and take.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Sparx Fire is ok.  Nothing revolutionary.  It's not better than FBV, but I switched to it cause the convenience of the Sparx vs hand sharpening on a Blackstone was worth it enough to me.  FBV has better glide, but not THAT much better.  Give and take.

Thanks... I need to find a place to get sharpened on a Fire ring and try it out.

The Fire rings are ok. You don't get to dial in grip vs glide the way you do with a FBV. Which is why some find it kinda meh. Yes, you get more glide than a ROH but you give up some grip in the process, much like you do with a ROH.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, stick9 said:

The Fire rings are ok. You don't get to dial in grip vs glide the way you do with a FBV. Which is why some find it kinda meh. Yes, you get more glide than a ROH but you give up some grip in the process, much like you do with a ROH.

If you use Flare give a 3/4" FIRE a try. It's quite impressive. 

Going the profiling way I found out that an ellipse zero with a 3/4" had way more glide with a sufficient bite than a stock 9/10' profile with a 92/75FBV. Both on my 254mm TF7 with a one to one comparison. 

One FBV freehand sharpening from a very experienced sharpener altered the profile noticeably(the heel was definitely shorter). Now I'm on Quad XS with a 3/4" prosharp sharpening(and I like the deeper Edge). 

It's a pity I can't combine a complex profile with FBV. But the flatter the hollow, the smaller is the advantage of FBV. Maybe I'll try 7/8" in the future. 

Edited by hockeydad3

I've been using FBV for some time now...and about 3 years in Tydan steel (black). I get them sharpened 2x a year (shipped to JR), so I would say the quality of the steel makes a bigger difference. I don't lose my edges, but have to sharpen usually because of nics. I can't imagine going back to ROH.

At Utica College, a good number of the players use FBV because the EQM has a set of wheels, and unless a player is adamant about ROH gets the rest on FBV. In almost every case the difference in the glide is a winner, and the biggest advantage that made me convert as well.

• Like 2