Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
akravetz

might have to replace my old Grafs

I have the Ultra G5 skate and love them. Heavy h as hell, clunky but they are my skates. However, 12 years of four times a week on the ice is taking its toll. Before the skates fall apart, I want to start to look. My first pair of skates (in the modern era) was a Supreme One20 (really low end) but they were okay until I got the Grafs. I tried to use them again and the profile was really different and I felt very unstable. I confess I don't know much about skate profiles but what's a good modern version of this Ultra G5 so I can start to look now. Sucks as my gear is all starting to fall apart at the same time. 🙂 

Andy in Peoria

It would depend on your budget, but Graf still makes G series skates and customs. Off the top of my head I don't recall the G5 fit specifically, but I believe it was based off the 705 which they still make available. A rep or dealer who regularly sells Graf could confirm that (Fred's in VH sold Graf, not sure if they still do). Graf also has a traceable form in the catalog that you can send in for their opinion. 

If you're wanting to buy your last pair of skates, I'm sure Graf could make you up a 2022 pair of G5's custom

• Like 1

Thanks. I have look at that. Are the new "Grafs" still the high quality that the old ones were. I don't think they are made in Canada anymore which isn't the end of the world but I do know that my skates have held up to tons of abuse in 12 years. 

I would take a look at True TF7s. They’re cut very similarly to Grafs, with a boot height quite a bit lower than other brands. The stock holder is also aggressively pitched, which it sounds like you appreciate from your G5’s. TF9s are similar, just with a bit stiffer and lighter shell, thinner tongue, Clarino liner and fancier steel. TF7s are a steal for their price in my opinion.

• Like 1

thanks. I'll check them out online to see what they are and what's up. I'm not looking to buy right now but just getting my ducks in a row to make sure that I have an idea when the skates do give out. There are some deep divots in the boot and the quarter panels are all torn up. No biggie as I love them but who knows how much longer they will last. I'm hoping another few years. I'm also searching the interwebs for a pair that might be floating around out there. 

On 12/22/2021 at 4:40 PM, Buzz_LightBeer said:

It would depend on your budget, but Graf still makes G series skates and customs. Off the top of my head I don't recall the G5 fit specifically, but I believe it was based off the 705 which they still make available. A rep or dealer who regularly sells Graf could confirm that (Fred's in VH sold Graf, not sure if they still do). Graf also has a traceable form in the catalog that you can send in for their opinion. 

If you're wanting to buy your last pair of skates, I'm sure Graf could make you up a 2022 pair of G5's custom

I was just on IW and they had the 755 classics. What's the beta on those. They seemingly look like my old skates but at about twice the cost I paid some 12 years ago. 🙂

I just bought a brand new pair of Graf Supra 735's.  They came with a letter indicating that they were made in Canada.  I went to them from a pair of bottom of the barrel CCM skates and are a huge improvement.  I was worried about the profile, and reading about people needing to "relearn to skate", but I felt great on them immediately!  I do want to look into having them profiled, but need to see if there's anything that I don't like, first.  Anyway, I know(thought that I knew! LOL) that the 755's are a step up from my skates, but so far I LOVE my 735's, though they aren't broken in yet.  

Edited by Nikwho
Corrected my foolish assumption.
  • Like 1

755 and 735 skates should be equivalent "tier" skates with slightly different fit.  Graf's number system indicates the boot dimensions and the level (tier) of the skate itself.

If your G5s are based on the 705 last, the 755 will fit differently.  That might not be a bad thing, but only you can determine that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2021 at 5:16 PM, akravetz said:

I have the Ultra G5 skate and love them. Heavy h as hell, clunky but they are my skates. However, 12 years of four times a week on the ice is taking its toll. Before the skates fall apart, I want to start to look. My first pair of skates (in the modern era) was a Supreme One20 (really low end) but they were okay until I got the Grafs. I tried to use them again and the profile was really different and I felt very unstable. I confess I don't know much about skate profiles but what's a good modern version of this Ultra G5 so I can start to look now. Sucks as my gear is all starting to fall apart at the same time. 🙂 

Andy in Peoria

Was in a similar situation this past Summer, had my G70s for 11-12 years, cycled two pairs as I was on the ice 4 times per week until one pair completely fell apart.  My experience as I refuse to leave Graf, as told in another recent thread...

A few months ago I bought a pair of Graf PK7900s (which are now on sale at IW) and have been skating in them 2-3x/week and they are VERY comfortable.

Very different approach and feel by Graf as they are a heel-locking skate - not a tight-fitting boot like the G70s and they require you to use your edges, not the boot, to turn.  Were pretty comfortable out of the box, just have required an adaptation in my skating style.  

I learned how to ice skate in middle age and relied upon the boot to turn and maneuver, so they can be a bit challenging sometimes but this is the future of ice hockey skate fitting; the heel is locked in from the back and there is a lot more room up front, so your foot should never be in pain during/after skating.  The heel will feel tight when you first buy the skate even if they are the absolute perfect fit, but will soften over time.  From the skate boot forward from the heel there is so much more volume than the prior generations of Graf skates, so you shouldn't really experience foot pain, ever.  Note that the skate cannot be tightened for a "traditional" snug fit around your foot no matter how hard you tighten the laces, but again it is meant to provide the front of your foot with a lot of volume for comfort.  These are skates meant to get people comfortable on their edges (which I mostly am, sort of...;)

Not surprising all of your gear is falling apart at the same time, the manufacturers of a lot of household products seem to have perfected the art of products failing right after the warranty ends...

Edited by nystromshairstylist

On 12/22/2021 at 6:34 PM, akravetz said:

Thanks. I have look at that. Are the new "Grafs" still the high quality that the old ones were. I don't think they are made in Canada anymore which isn't the end of the world but I do know that my skates have held up to tons of abuse in 12 years. 

The quality of my PK7900s is superb, best constructed skate I've seen, and as good as anything I looked at from Bauer or anyone else.  The boot is very light, and very stiff, and while the blade may not be my preferred (I stuck Step Steel blades in them as I did not like the profile of the blade that came with them and did not want to spend more $$ to change them) the boot itself is outstanding.

On 12/25/2021 at 10:24 AM, akravetz said:

thanks. I'll check them out online to see what they are and what's up. I'm not looking to buy right now but just getting my ducks in a row to make sure that I have an idea when the skates do give out. There are some deep divots in the boot and the quarter panels are all torn up. No biggie as I love them but who knows how much longer they will last. I'm hoping another few years. I'm also searching the interwebs for a pair that might be floating around out there. 

My advice would be to start fitting and getting a replacement pair NOW, so you are operating on your schedule, not forced into scrambling for a new pair when your current ones fall apart, which could happen in the middle of a game and then you are screwed.  Better off transitioning into the new pair by alternating between them over a few weeks/months so you can get totally comfortable in the new pair.  Then you'll always have a spare (the old ones) you can keep around just in case.  Just MO.

Edited by nystromshairstylist
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 10:19 AM, nystromshairstylist said:

The quality of my PK7900s is superb, best constructed skate I've seen, and as good as anything I looked at from Bauer or anyone else.  The boot is very light, and very stiff, and while the blade may not be my preferred (I stuck Step Steel blades in them as I did not like the profile of the blade that came with them and did not want to spend more $$ to change them) the boot itself is outstanding.

I was looking at Ice Warehouse at the G755s. and I hear they are pretty good. 

2 hours ago, akravetz said:

In terms of construction they are basically the same as the classic Grafs people have been wearing for some time. The new holder is a little stiffer and the interior lining is better at not absorbing water, but otherwise they are very similar to what you'd be used to if you had 703s, 705s, G5s, etc. I can't speak to how they would fit you, obviously.

2 hours ago, akravetz said:

My understanding is they are very similar to the classic 735 as far as fit goes.  I believe the only difference is a wider heel.  The *35 Grafs usually had a pretty narrow heel and widened as they moved towards the toes.