Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
kicksave

Old guy looking for new skates

my last pair of skates for Vapor XXX's ( wide)   looking to start skating again the kid started playing and is real into it. figure im spending so much time at the rink why not start playing again.  closest LHS store is pure hockey... looked online at skates after 14 ish years and have zero idead where to start or even what the fits mean anymore.. .. insight  where to look or how  to go about getting a new set of wheels?  feel like a fish out of water as this point. ty!

1 hour ago, kicksave said:

my last pair of skates for Vapor XXX's ( wide)   looking to start skating again the kid started playing and is real into it. figure im spending so much time at the rink why not start playing again.  closest LHS store is pure hockey... looked online at skates after 14 ish years and have zero idead where to start or even what the fits mean anymore.. .. insight  where to look or how  to go about getting a new set of wheels?  feel like a fish out of water as this point. ty!

If you can go to a local hockey store to try on skates in person, that would probably be the best.

Do your current skates fit? That would give an idea of where to start, size-wise. 

With the new fit system, it's best to take a trip to the store. In the past going vapor to vapor was easier, but in my experience the new toe caps and volume based fits required a need to try them on...and while you're at it give every brand a try. The CCM FT4 pros are quite impressive in terms of their fit flexibility, and if I didn't get the 2X pros at the price I found them, I might have switched to those.  Best to not be attached to brand and instead be attached to your comfort and performance.

Edited by MLSman
  • Like 1

On 12/30/2021 at 1:34 PM, start_today said:

Post a pic of of the vapor XXXs! 

I will when I get home. The people are pure hockey made me grab them out of my car . They had a young kid working  that my skates were older then lol

• Haha 1

On 12/31/2021 at 1:33 PM, MLSman said:

With the new fit system, it's best to take a trip to the store. In the past going vapor to vapor was easier, but in my experience the new toe caps and volume based fits required a need to try them on...and while you're at it give every brand a try. The CCM FT4 pros are quite impressive in terms of their fit flexibility, and if I didn't get the 2X pros at the price I found them, I might have switched to those.  Best to not be attached to brand and instead be attached to your comfort and performance.

Ok so I went  and got scanned and they say I’m a size 9 in a fit 3. I have very wide feet. They only had the highest supremes in my size (999.00) I only skate 2-3 times a weak and can’t really justify that skate. So I asked how my fit translates to ccm and the fit guy basically said don’t bother they won’t fit me right? Is this correct or was he just pushing the high end skate cause that’s the only one that they had in my fit. (they did fit amazing) tho 

56 minutes ago, kicksave said:

Ok so I went  and got scanned and they say I’m a size 9 in a fit 3. I have very wide feet. They only had the highest supremes in my size (999.00) I only skate 2-3 times a weak and can’t really justify that skate. So I asked how my fit translates to ccm and the fit guy basically said don’t bother they won’t fit me right? Is this correct or was he just pushing the high end skate cause that’s the only one that they had in my fit. (they did fit amazing) tho 

Pure Hockey has a fit conversion chart: https://www.purehockey.com/support/hockey-skate-sizing-guide/pg_id/20235

Bauer Fit 3 translates to CCM Wide, which is currently available in the Jetspeed and Ribcor lines. The length should be the same; so, you'd be looking for 9 Wide CCM skates. 

You could also try an 8.5W in a True TF9 or TF7. The True retail skates in wide are probably the widest skates in the forefoot since the Nexus line has been discontinued. The right size will feel too small before baking and they open up with a proper bake. They fit at least a half size longer than Bauer or CCM in the same size after baking. That's why I'd start with an 8.5W. 

• Like 1

Being an older guy who has zero experience with modern skates. You'll probably hate the high end Supreme. I'd look for something lower in the line or try a mid tier CCM.

Personally, CCM's 90k might be a good option for someone like yourself. It's not as rigid as most modern skates and it priced nicely at $549. One benefit of going with CCM is their 90 day satisfaction guarantee.

7 hours ago, kicksave said:

It never hurts--no pun intended--to try something on just to get a feel. You never know for sure until you get them on your feet. For years, I was in CCMs. Though that's what I should be sticking with when I needed new skates. Wasn't even considering Bauer. Tried on some Bauers. Left with the Bauers, and they're probably the best feeling skate's I've ever had.

I’m a wide foot fit 3 and find Wide RibCore, and both Regular and Wide Jetspeeds to fit well. Either a mid-upper range current model or clearance previous model would be worth trying on. 
since you’ve had a nice skate in the XXX, no need to break the bank, but definitely don’t go too low end on a budget, you’ll definitely notice the feel of a lower end boot and regret it. 

Edited by Buzz_LightBeer
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

I’m a wide foot fit 3 and find Wide RibCore, and both Regular and Wide Jetspeeds to fit well. Either a mid-upper range current model or clearance previous model would be worth trying on. 
since you’ve had a nice skate in the XXX, no need to break the bank, but definitely don’t go too low end on a budget, you’ll definitely notice the feel of a lower end boot and regret it. 

Thanks the issue I ran into today is both pure hockey stores in Buffalo are all out of wife ccm skates  so I can’t even try them to compare which isn’t ideal . and only have top end Bauer left in fit 3