Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
kicksave

bauer scan system

apologies in advance if this was covered i searched and  didn't see anything. but how accurate is this? i got scanned on friday  and thought he said i was a size 9 fit 3 ( the fit 3) is right as i always had wide feet lol.. but i just looked at the scan data that was sent to me and it says 8? it was new years and i was in a kinda in a  rush but   last time i was fitted was 2005 at great skate in buffalo ny( which is anything but great if you ask around) im just finding it hard to believe that they could of of been that off with my fit? a service that i had to pay for nonetheless?  

Maybe Bauer's size numbering may have changed since your last pair of skates or your current skates are too long. 

BUT, the Bauer scan is also just a starting point.  I wouldn't buy blindly based on that input.  For example, I came out as a size 5 fit 3 when I was scanned, but based on my experience since, am probably a size 4.5 fit 3 or maybe even 2. 

This is a pretty broad brush statement, but most people who haven’t had a good, quality fitting at some point are probably in skates that are too big. 

If you were never taught, and/or sized wrong, you buy skates a size too big to compensate for wide feet, or that boot shape didn’t fit your foot. Or too big because your are used to the proper “tight” fit of a new skate. You might buy to big because you sized them standing up straight, rather than in hockey stance. Or, the store doesn’t have your exact size and model in stock, and the underpaid and overworked person doing the fitting does their best to get you in the next closest thing.  

New too big skates skates feel like a comfortable sneaker. New correct size skates feel like a sneaker that’s probably too small. When they break in, the too big skate will get even roomier, but you may not notice it, and the correct skate feels great when broken in, but you have to go through the first few skating session of adapting to a new boot with interiors that are conforming to your foot.   

You see the same with snowboarding boots and skiing boots, and I assume any performance footwear. We apply the model for fitting street shoes to any footwear, because that’s all the knowledge we have.  A half size isn’t off isn’t the end of the world, but you can get a bump in performance if you get that fit dialed in for your foot. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kicksave said:

apologies in advance if this was covered i searched and  didn't see anything. but how accurate is this? i got scanned on friday  and thought he said i was a size 9 fit 3 ( the fit 3) is right as i always had wide feet lol.. but i just looked at the scan data that was sent to me and it says 8? it was new years and i was in a kinda in a  rush but   last time i was fitted was 2005 at great skate in buffalo ny( which is anything but great if you ask around) im just finding it hard to believe that they could of of been that off with my fit? a service that i had to pay for nonetheless?  

What is your street/dress shoe size?

1 hour ago, krisdrum said:

BUT, the Bauer scan is also just a starting point. 

So true....

29 minutes ago, caveman27 said:

What is your street/dress shoe size?

I have found this to be not helpful at all.  

Edited by mojo122
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo122 said:

So true....

Ya same it depends on the show and brand ect .. that’s why I thought getting my scan done would Solve my lack of skate fit knowledge

5 hours ago, mojo122 said:

So true....

Well, if his old skate size was the same as his shoe size, that would explain the bauer scan size.

For me, scanner results are just starting points. There's always a margin for error. Whether that's the machine's fault or the operator's, who knows. For me when I was scanned, the result was a half size too large and in a fit style that was too wide. IMHO, right now, really be finicky and take mental notes. Don't proceed blindly. If you really pay attention to things and feel out what works for you and what doesn't in a new skate, you'll be able to apply this experience down the road to the next pair of skates.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, start_today said:

New too big skates skates feel like a comfortable sneaker. New correct size skates feel like a sneaker that’s probably too small. When they break in, the too big skate will get even roomier, but you may not notice it, and the correct skate feels great when broken in, but you have to go through the first few skating session of adapting to a new boot with interiors that are conforming to your foot.

What about the width? I recently got pro stock 2x pros, the length and heel lock is amazing but the width felt narrow. I went for a skate and tried to power through the pain but after the second period I had to take the skates off for 5 mins. I rebaked with some paper towels taped to my feet on the hotspot areas and I’m going to go sockless next game. Will the boot eventually conform to my feet on the sides if I keep skating in them? 

Edited by moonrockticktock

10 hours ago, puckpilot said:

For me, scanner results are just starting points. There's always a margin for error. Whether that's the machine's fault or the operator's, who knows. For me when I was scanned, the result was a half size too large and in a fit style that was too wide. IMHO, right now, really be finicky and take mental notes. Don't proceed blindly. If you really pay attention to things and feel out what works for you and what doesn't in a new skate, you'll be able to apply this experience down the road to the next pair of skates.

This has always been my experience as well. 

7 hours ago, moonrockticktock said:

What about the width? I recently got pro stock 2x pros, the length and heel lock is amazing but the width felt narrow. I went for a skate and tried to power through the pain but after the second period I had to take the skates off for 5 mins. I rebaked with some paper towels taped to my feet on the hotspot areas and I’m going to go sockless next game. Will the boot eventually conform to my feet on the sides if I keep skating in them? 

The inner portion of the boot will widen slightly as you skate since the foams will become compressed over time. If after skating in them multiple times they don't feel wide enough have your local shop widen them slightly. Its much easier to widen a skate slightly as opposed to trying to make a skate that is too wide more narrow. 

18 hours ago, PBH said:

The inner portion of the boot will widen slightly as you skate since the foams will become compressed over time. If after skating in them multiple times they don't feel wide enough have your local shop widen them slightly. Its much easier to widen a skate slightly as opposed to trying to make a skate that is too wide more narrow.

I will give the no socks a shot see how I like it. I’m not close to a pro shop sadly but I’ll figure out a way. I’ve seen @Vet88 process on punching at home and if push comes to shove I’ll do that. 

8 hours ago, moonrockticktock said:

I will give the no socks a shot see how I like it. I’m not close to a pro shop sadly but I’ll figure out a way. I’ve seen @Vet88 process on punching at home and if push comes to shove I’ll do that. 

If you do go the DIY punch route, message me. I've simplified the tool I use to do the punch with and it's so much easier and simpler now.

Edited by Vet88