Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
MrDaddy

Skate blades?

So I'm looking for opinions from anyone who might have used bladetech skate blades. Looking to replace a set. Tossed up between bauer titanium bladetech black diamond. Can't seem to find step steel in a 263 to replace the LS5 we have. Also Tydan and massive are two other companys we are looking at?

I tried some Bladetech, standard SS finish.  Used them probably 10 times before deciding the boot I had them on just wasn't going to work and I had to return them.  Kept the blades in hopes my son can use them on his next pair of skates.  I thought they sharpened up very nicely.  Felt really nice on ice.  Not sure I felt the spring action in the toe, but they were a top quality blade very similar to Step in my brief experience.  I liked them enough I would definitely use them again when other blades wear out and need replacement. 

Edited by krisdrum

I tried Bladetech SS but this was before I started figuring out the whole profiling thing and it didn't feel right so I took them off and never tried them again (pretty sure this was just a shorter profile than the steel I was on at the time).  The quality of Bladetech was nice, definitely nicer than the stock Bauer steel I was using, but I ended up going Step and have since switched to CCM with Step as well.

Tydan is very good. High quality steel. Just as good as STEP.

• If you want a high quality traditional style of steel, this is a good option. 

Massive is bad, the steel has too high of a tensile strength and tends to break/snap. Stay away. 

RamonEdge is very good. High quality steel. Just as good as STEP.

• Its slightly thicker than Tydan and STEP, roughly 3.1xmm vs 2.9xmm which can make it difficult to fit in holders. 

Bladetech is good steel. Sharpens nicely. Holds a good edge. Overall a high quality steel.

• It comes with a triple radius profile out of the box which some like.
  • I personally didn't not feel the "flex force" spring effect.
  • None of the customers that I have sold Bladetech to said they felt the "flex force" spring effect. 

Bauer Pulse and Pulse TI steel are also very good. Not as good as some of these other options but significantly better than the LS5. 

Have you considered Flare or XC Blade?

Edited by PBH
  • Like 2

No I haven't. Apparently i would have to buy another ring for our sparx machine if I get the flare blade. I'll look at xc blade. My son is just telling me to get him the bauer titanium.

On 1/12/2022 at 10:39 AM, PBH said:

Tydan is very good. High quality steel. Just as good as STEP.

• If you want a high quality traditional style of steel, this is a good option. 

Massive is bad, the steel has too high of a tensile strength and tends to break/snap. Stay away. 

RamonEdge is very good. High quality steel. Just as good as STEP.

• Its slightly thicker than Tydan and STEP, roughly 3.1xmm vs 2.9xmm which can make it difficult to fit in holders. 

Bladetech is good steel. Sharpens nicely. Holds a good edge. Overall a high quality steel.

• It comes with a triple radius profile out of the box which some like.
  • I personally didn't not feel the "flex force" spring effect.
  • None of the customers that I have sold Bladetech to said they felt the "flex force" spring effect. 

Bauer Pulse and Pulse TI steel are also very good. Not as good as some of these other options but significantly better than the LS5. 

Have you considered Flare or XC Blade?

On the Tydan website, they have for sale Bauers pulse blade and so forth. Are they providing a profiling service also or do they have a part in the manufacturing of these blades?

Yesterday I picked up a new set of blades, Pulse vs the Bladtech, but I went with the Bladetech because I presumed Made in Canada is better quality than China. After 30 passes on the new blade I got the a nice balanced edge on the ice today. Overall I am happy with this profile, and will continue to use it, I believe it is a triple 9-11-13. Good introduction to profiling. The blade felt smooth on the ice predictable and well balanced.

Do you have any pointers regarding home sharpening with profiled blades, I use a Wissota sharpener. Can I use my old Bauer TS1 to find the right setup and transfer to the Bladetech blade? 

16 hours ago, Mgiragosian said:

On the Tydan website, they have for sale Bauers pulse blade and so forth. Are they providing a profiling service also or do they have a part in the manufacturing of these blades?

Tydan is not involved in manufacturing Bauer steel. They only offer profiling and also the DLC coating for Pulse SS. 

Overall I am happy with this profile, and will continue to use it, I believe it is a triple 9-11-13. Good introduction to profiling. The blade felt smooth on the ice predictable and well balanced.

9/11/13 is a good design for a lot of players first adjusting to profiled steel. Its a good "all-around" option. 

Do you have any pointers regarding home sharpening with profiled blades, I use a Wissota sharpener. Can I use my old Bauer TS1 to find the right setup and transfer to the Bladetech blade? 

You would sharpen them the same way you sharpen any other steel. 

1 hour ago, PBH said:

Tydan is not involved in manufacturing Bauer steel. They only offer profiling and also the DLC coating for Pulse SS. 

9/11/13 is a good design for a lot of players first adjusting to profiled steel. Its a good "all-around" option. 

You would sharpen them the same way you sharpen any other steel. 

Does prosharp offer a 9-11-13 profile? 

11 hours ago, CaptainCharisma said:

Looking at trying some of these XC Blades out.  Have you heard any feedback from customers?  

No. We ordered some samples so I will know very soon. They look interesting. 

10 hours ago, jasongos said:

Does prosharp offer a 9-11-13 profile? 

They do not. 

• Like 1