Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
clarkiestooth

A "Heavy" CCM Jetspeed FT4 Pro Stick??

Just took delivery of a new 85 FLEX pro stock CCM FT4 PRO  stick purchased off Sideline Swap. As soon as I unwrapped it, it didn't feel right. Heavy. I weighed it on a digital scale, 423 grams.  In the closet I have a new FT3 PRO, which weighed in at 379 grams, even with a 3 inch longer shaft. The name plate has no name, the serial number script is also different.  What might I have here, a cheaper FT4 PRO TEAM stick? A counterfeit? 

skortRv.jpg

Edited by clarkiestooth

If you can post full images of the stick from multiple angles, people are here are wildly good at saying “yes, that looks real” or “here are 5 pieces of minutia that suggest it’s counterfeit.”

I just got an FT4Pro from SLS and it looks the same (curious if we got from the same seller).  I used it the other night and it felt great (I've used Ribcors for a while and it didn't feel very different).  Mine is an 85 but it felt as whippy as my 75 flex sticks, was pretty surprised, now seeing this I'm not sure what I actually got haha 

I looked mine over and compared it to a regular FT4 and the fonts are definitely different on the namebar as well as the serial#/id numbers on the underside of the shaft.  The material appears the same as far as I can tell but I'm no expert on these things.  I had cut the stick so I don't have the full sticker (the part with the codes on it is under my tape) but I still had the other half of the sticker, also I noticed inside the shaft that I cut there was a sticker and it appears to say it's a 75 flex not an 85 (score for me since I normally use 75), hard to make out but it says ST2031 75-R inside the shaft and then some Chinese writing.

51813174511_19c7fc8298_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Schusteritsch, on Flickr

51812212027_6db68c57cf_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Schusteritsch, on Flickr

51813279398_e790863e73_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Schusteritsch, on Flickr

there's a few more pics in this gallery, I didn't want to bombard the thread with them:

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjzybdt

edit: I was curious so I pealed off my tape and ruined the sticker underneath that would have had the code on it... doh!!  So that's a dead end

Edited by xstartxtodayx

Well, I talked to the local CCM pro rep.  The RY construction is the "Team" model, used by some AHL guys for practice due to its durability. About half the price of the real FT4 Pro. I guess that's why the guy didn't show the label in his listing.

• Like 1

This got me really curious, so I called CCM in Montreal , described the situation, and gave them all codes/serial numbers/etc.  They said they are "100% absolutely certain that this is not an FT4 Pro, and quite possibly not even a CCM original product". Quite a few lessons learned here. 

Edited by clarkiestooth
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ricepow said:

Well that sucks.  What, if anything, are you planning to do?

I filed a claim with sidelineswap, getting a full refund. They paid return shipping to Laval, Quebec. SLS had no interest in pursuing the matter further, and neither did CCM. So I'm guessing the guy will put it right back in inventory and sell to someone else. 

1 hour ago, ricepow said:

The seller I purchased from is PSHGMT.

ditto.  He has another SLS account as well under Hselect09 and an account on S2K under Hselect09 as well.  I've bought sticks from him years ago on s2k which were team level sticks from junior players but it appears he has seriously upped his inventory since then.  I would love to know for sure where he is getting them from and if they're all counterfeit or not.

Only thing I would say in this seller's defense is that CCM doesn't know about half the things they sell. Around 14 years ago, a guy who played beer league with my dad gave me a CCM Vector VWM. I could not find any info on it, so I contacted reebok-ccm for more information. The rep told me no such stick existed because they had no such mark in their records. I was bummed that it was probably a counterfeit.

A few months after, I was in the sports section at Walmart and found out what the WM in VWM stood for. I was more bummed out after that.

On 1/12/2022 at 2:16 PM, xstartxtodayx said:

ditto.  He has another SLS account as well under Hselect09 and an account on S2K under Hselect09 as well.  I've bought sticks from him years ago on s2k which were team level sticks from junior players but it appears he has seriously upped his inventory since then.  I would love to know for sure where he is getting them from and if they're all counterfeit or not.

Not showing the pro stock build info on each stick thats for sale tells you he could be shady .......

Edited by noupf

Sometimes pro stock sticks are heavier (or lighter) as per that particular player's spec (as was mentioned). I always ask for a weight. Have also found flex to feel different on some pro stocks (if so...usually stiffer).  There's a fantastic variety of gear available, but...you have to be a lot more knowledgeable. Cost/benefit...as with everything. SidelineSwap is AWESOME with support...at least in my experience. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 7:22 PM, clarkiestooth said:

Well, I talked to the local CCM pro rep.  The RY construction is the "Team" model, used by some AHL guys for practice due to its durability. About half the price of the real FT4 Pro. I guess that's why the guy didn't show the label in his listing.

This. CCM offers Custom “Team” sticks to mid range juniors and college teams. I haven’t been in the business for a while, so the RY marking are new to me but all the evidence points that way. The sticks weight in the 445-445g range at full length and have peel ply blades, so it would seem to back that up. 

I was able to pick up a Jetspeed FT3 Team stick at retail for <$80 CAD before tax, (and I got a warranty).  I can't think of a single good reason to buy "team build" sticks off some shady dude on SLS.  If you're going to insist on buying prostock sticks, buy them from a reputable seller.

• Like 1