Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JAY4114

Stick shaft widths

Are senior warrior sticks the same width as Bauer? Also are Ccm intermediate sticks narrower than senior sticks and if they are how much (compared to bauer/Ccm)?

Edited by JAY4114

Can you be more specific about which part of the shaft you are referring?  Is width the cross section that the V between your thumb and forefinger of your top hand would sit on?  Or is width the sidewalls your fingers would lay against coming off the knuckles of your top hand?

Intermediate sticks are typically smaller dimensions compared to senior.  I haven't felt a huge difference in "cross section", but they usually have shorter "side walls".  It isn't by much when you look at them side by side, but it is noticeable (at least to me) when in the hand. 

2 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

Can you be more specific about which part of the shaft you are referring?  Is width the cross section that the V between your thumb and forefinger of your top hand would sit on?  Or is width the sidewalls your fingers would lay against coming off the knuckles of your top hand?

Intermediate sticks are typically smaller dimensions compared to senior.  I haven't felt a huge difference in "cross section", but they usually have shorter "side walls".  It isn't by much when you look at them side by side, but it is noticeable (at least to me) when in the hand. 

Just like the overall shaft radius. Not sure if radius is the right term since it’s not a circle

1 minute ago, JAY4114 said:

Just like the overall shaft radius. Not sure if radius is the right term since it’s not a circle

Yeah, radius doesn't make sense in this context.  Top/bottom dimensions (assuming the sticks blade is flat on the ice) is what I was calling "cross section".  What I was calling sidewalls would be the surfaces your thumb and fingers are on in a typical "put the stick in the V between the thumb and fingers" grip. 

I don't have a Bauer stick to compare to, so I'll let someone more familiar with Warrior vs. Bauer weigh in (shaft dimensions may also change a bit model to model, I know Vapors usually have a more rounded out shaft).

I do have several senior and intermediate models and usually I don't see/feel a difference in the top/bottom surface, but do on the sidewalls, making the overall grip of the stick slightly smaller. 

Can't speak to Bauer but for CCM I saw this awesome chart with all of their shaft shape options and specs, it's in the link below.  The "I" is the intermediate so you can see how much smaller it is (not much honestly)... T and R are the ones I've seen most often:

http://www.sports2k.com/forum/index.php?/topic/43479-custom-ccm-stick-spec-question/

• Like 1

For your initial question, which Bauer sticks are you comparing to? Vapor and Nexus have a different shaft shape, and I assume Supreme does too. 

The shape and geometry of shafts changes between models, the CCM sheet posted above illustrates various options well. 

Intermediate shafts of all brands tend to be smaller than senior. 

6 hours ago, startoday said:

For your initial question, which Bauer sticks are you comparing to? Vapor and Nexus have a different shaft shape, and I assume Supreme does too. 

The shape and geometry of shafts changes between models, the CCM sheet posted above illustrates various options well. 

Intermediate shafts of all brands tend to be smaller than senior. 

Um let’s say vapor

On 1/11/2022 at 3:53 PM, krisdrum said:

Yeah, radius doesn't make sense in this context.  Top/bottom dimensions (assuming the sticks blade is flat on the ice) is what I was calling "cross section".  What I was calling sidewalls would be the surfaces your thumb and fingers are on in a typical "put the stick in the V between the thumb and fingers" grip. 

I don't have a Bauer stick to compare to, so I'll let someone more familiar with Warrior vs. Bauer weigh in (shaft dimensions may also change a bit model to model, I know Vapors usually have a more rounded out shaft).

I do have several senior and intermediate models and usually I don't see/feel a difference in the top/bottom surface, but do on the sidewalls, making the overall grip of the stick slightly smaller. 

How does warrior compare to Ccm?

4 minutes ago, JAY4114 said:

How does warrior compare to Ccm?

Also not sure it is a fair comparison, but I have a senior Warrior QREdge and an intermediate CCM Jetspeed Team.  Both marked 65 flex.  The Warrior shaft definitely feels "longer" in my hand.  Meaning the sidewall (where my thumbs and fingers rest) is longer.  Putting the sticks side by side and evening up one of the shaft sides, visually you can see the difference I am feeling, but it isn't much of a length difference when you look at it.  Maybe 5mm, probably less.  But it definitely feels different in the hand.  Feels more "rectangular", where the CCM in the hand feels more "square".  Wouldn't be surprised if there is a slight difference in the cross section dimensions as well, but I don't feel it or easily see it when matching the two sticks up.  I've flip flopped between senior and intermediate shafts for awhile now and pretty consistently the seniors feel bigger (more rectangular) in the hand. 

On 1/11/2022 at 2:31 PM, JAY4114 said:

Are senior warrior sticks the same width as Bauer? Also are Ccm intermediate sticks narrower than senior sticks and if they are how much (compared to bauer/Ccm)?

For the most part, all senior sticks of all brands are the same (except for that 5-sided shaft). Are you making a hockey stick table or something?

6 minutes ago, caveman27 said:

For the most part, all senior sticks of all brands are the same (except for that 5-sided shaft). Are you making a hockey stick table or something?

Close lol. I wanna know for 2 reasons but one of them is I’ve seen hockey stick phone cases and wanna try to make one bc I think $35 is a little too much

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 2:09 PM, caveman27 said:

“For the most part” does an awful lot of lifting in this sentence. On a site where a lot of us fret over a good bit of hockey equipment minutia even in stock retail stuff, I’d say this is absolutely untrue. 

Even a fairly lay person can pick up some shafts and know they are boxier than others, or some have more rounded corners and feel smaller in your hands. 

It’s not the most important aspect of how a stick plays, and if you're brand new to playing it doesn’t matter, or if your using the stick for non-hockey stuff, but they are absolutely not all the same, any more than a 1/2” and 5/8” ROH are the same for the most part. 

3 hours ago, start_today said:

“For the most part” does an awful lot of lifting in this sentence. On a site where a lot of us fret over a good bit of hockey equipment minutia even in stock retail stuff, I’d say this is absolutely untrue. 

Even a fairly lay person can pick up some shafts and know they are boxier than others, or some have more rounded corners and feel smaller in your hands. 

It’s not the most important aspect of how a stick plays, and if you're brand new to playing it doesn’t matter, or if your using the stick for non-hockey stuff, but they are absolutely not all the same, any more than a 1/2” and 5/8” ROH are the same for the most part. 

He wanted to make hockey stick phone cases. Not play with them.

7 minutes ago, caveman27 said:

He wanted to make hockey stick phone cases. Not play with them.

3 hours ago, start_today said:

If he has more to add then that’s fine by me. Someone else may wanna look at this thread

1 hour ago, start_today said:

You didn’t know that when you said they are all the same. 

That's right.

But, I had a hunch that it was for something other than for playing.  Why would someone care about width measurement when they are all about the same?